Two KLR 650s set up for travel for sale in California or ?

Cole

Expedition Leader
Edit: bikes are now on N.J. Details in my most recent post!

I'm considering selling our KLR650s. I bought these bikes several years ago as dedicated travel bikes for me and my wife. We have been storing these bikes, fly out to them, ride to another city and then store them and fly home again!

They have been on the road for a few years now and are currently in Newhall, California (near L.A).

We had a daughter a year ago and figure the next couple of years of travel will be in our van instead of these bikes. :lol3

I haven't seen the bikes in a little over a year. They are stored in my aunts garage and checked in on by my motorcycle enthusiasts cousins. :lol3

Both are hooked up to battery tenders, fresh tires, chains, sprockets, etc. Possible they need a carb cleaning this time around.

I'll have to post some details as I can remember them since I can't just walk outside and look at them right now.

Both have clean Colorado titles and are in my name. Both bikes have some farkles, more on the red bike than the blue. But honestly I'm forgetting right now all the little mods. Mostly stuff like skid plates, heated grips, highway pegs, doohickeys, the red bike has a tall windshield now.

I want $2,750 EACH!

The black/red bike is "mine", its a 2004 with about 38k on it. Valve shims have been done recently.

Blue bike is "hers", its a 1998 with about 20k miles on it, currently sitting lowered about 2" but can be retuned to stock height. Although the kickstand has Been shortened.

Both bikes are pictured with tank bags but don't come with them. We use those on our bikes here in Colorado. Only the hard luggage comes with the bikes if you want it. They are currently packed with our camping gear so I'll have to get those cleaned out:lol3

I might fly out and ride them back to Colorado at some point so the pickup location could be negotiable.

5806661657_e5d926a617_b_d.jpg

5806649351_540acb9f0b_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

aero

Adventurer
Great looking bikes. I am in the process of heading out to Colorado and just started thinking about this style bike so I'll keep an eye on this thread when I get out there.

Cole

Expedition Leader
At the moment it looks like they are both going to be loaned out to some Aussies for a trip from LA to NY!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, just an update for the couple of people that were commenting and following this thread.

I decided to put the sale on hold and made a deal to loan the bikes to a father and son from Australia. They are going to be riding them across the USA and will leave them for me in NJ. Unless someone here wants to store them.

Should work out pretty well. I've always wanted to ride the N.E. And that side of
Canada. Which is a compelling reason to keep them at the moment. With he them in California they were located in a region we had ridden a LOT! .

One of my dream trips was to do a trip like this with my dad. He was disabled by a stroke before we got the chance to do it. So the idea of these bikes enabling a father and son ride appealed to me!

They picked up the bikes last night and I hope to see some cool pictures from the trip. Maybe some of you will see them along the way and offer them a meal or a place to stay

Cole

Expedition Leader
Here is the response I got about their route.

We're pretty flexible on route, but our plan for California is basically to go up the coast to San Fran, then east to Tahoe and Yosemite, then back south down the Sierra Nevadas, through Kings Canyon, towards Las Vegas. (I wanted to go to the White Mountains as well but it seems like there are no roads east across the Sierra Nevadas... unless we can find an off-road trail that will cut through there and take us to route 395.) Beyond Vegas we don't really have a solid route, just a bunch of stuff we want to see - Zion National Park, Monument Valley etc. I think we'll probably cut across Texas, I want to see New Orleans and Dad's girlfriend's brother lives in Alabama, so we'll visit him. Then up the Appalachians and the Atlantic coast through DC to New York. Too easy :)

TomOwen

Observer
Tell them to connect with Northern California Land Rover Club on Facebook, chances are we can feed'em and at least provide a lot of local route info ;-)

brussum

Adventurer
I can probably offer a free place to stay in the DC Metro area as well, depending on when they'll be here in N Virginia. We're close to all the sights. If they're interested, PM me and I'll send contact info.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Back up for sale.....now in NJ.....a great place to start a ride of the Trans American Trail!!

Most recently I rented them to a father and son from Australia to ride across the USA. They left them in storage for me in NJ (I live in Colorado)

Both bikes should have new tires, chains, sprockets and a few other bits. I'll have to look at the list and update this post.

The basics. The blue bike is a 1998 with "about 20k" on it. Doohickey done, new chain, sprockets, carb rebuilt with new diaphragm, new tires, new battery, has aluminum up hand guards with wind protection, heated grips, 2" lowering link, custom seat with firmer foam, skid plate, highway peg is bent, rear rack to keep soft bags out of tire, Pelican 1520 case as rear topcase with 12v outlet for charging stuff, off road pegs, license plate relocation, battery tender plug, and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting.

The black/red bike is a 2004 with about 40k on it. Doohickey done, valves recently done, new chain, sprockets, tires, heated grips, skid plate, home brew highway pegs, hand guards, led 12v battery gauge, chopped front fender, custom firm foam seat, off road pegs, license plate relocation, rear brake guard, good battery, no windscreen at the moment, upgraded aluminum handle bars, home made steel hard bag racks that have a quick release or bags can be easily locked to the bike. Bags are Pelican 1550s for the side bags and a smaller Pelican for the topcase. Topcase has a 12v supply in it for charging phone, etc, battery tender plug and of course stuff that I've probably forgotten.

I haven't seen the bikes in person since the Aussies left them in NJ but have seen pictures and my friend says they fixed everything that needed it.

We love these bikes but now have a toddler and are traveling in a Sprinter .

I'd take $2,750 each for the bikes or would consider trades for some smaller more trail oriented bikes we can hang off our Sprinter! KTM525EXC, WR450R, WR250R, etc.

6935108965_cb2b8f4d5f_b_d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz