My m416 being built

I really like how the trailer is turning out. Hopefully I will have one of my own one day and i can borrow some of your ideas for it. One question looking at the side profile picture do you have any worries of the tire rubbing the fender when fully loaded.

Thank you. I am hoping to replace the springs before I head out west and when I do the springs I will probably put the axel on the bottom of said springs

Wouldn't get in a rush to swap the axle and springs. Wait and see if you even need to replace the springs. Remember it's a military trailer...and they were built to handle heavy loads.

Just don't wait to find out the day before you leave on a trip that you need to upgrade your springs!

Lots of guys swap the axle bc you can do it relatively Inexpensively and get inertia brakes too. If you plan to install a matching set of wheels to your tow vehicle it really makes sense vs drilling your hubs or buying adapters.

If you're going to work under the trailer, I'd buy a set of truck jack stands.

Don't you have a hand brake?

Painted...still have to mount Jerry cans and RTT and attach lift assists for the lid and RTT. And the awning......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 58
Very nice!

Thank you sir! I just finished bolting down the fenders and mounting the Jerry cans on the bumper. I also just made a PVC shower stall for when camping in public places without showers. I have an Eccotemp L5 on demand hot H20 shower

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 53
Shower stall install

Mock up of shower install...
Also bought a lunette ring lock from etrailer.com for $29.00.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 45

screwball48

Explorer
Looking good painted up. It is build like this one that make me wish for two things: free time and welding skills.

yotes65

Observer
So am I the only person viewing my thread? No comments? Anybody?

It's been a few weeks since I've been online... just now checking out your thread. I'm looking forward to the Overland Expo so I may check out others Trailers. Looking to getting one myself. I have found so many ideas on this site. Great Job on your build!

Looking good painted up. It is build like this one that make me wish for two things: free time and welding skills.

Right there with ya... I need to make friends with a welder & quick. :D

I've had lots of free time lately, and some money to spend, and absolutely no welding skills. Thank God for friends that are welders. I'm hoping to be finished with all the main stuff by Tuesday...if I'm lucky. Then it's time for refining.
Another friend from steel soldiers gave me a roll of escalator/conveyor belt material at the last Georgia rally at Durhamtown Plantation off road park, and I just cut a piece to fit in the bed of the trailer. The stuff is thick and tough, plus now I don't have to pay to get it rhino- lined.:) too dark for pix. I just have to figure out where to store the spare tire.....

Today I picked up a shore power adapter for 30 to 15 amp and just to make sure it fit, and it didn't. Because we apparently didn't look. Someone in Lowes had inadvertently put the wrong package into the wrong box on the shelf, and I bought and installed it without first seeing that it was actually made for a Dryer hookup. Oops! So instead of going back 20miles I decided to go to camping world and they sold me a used part for $15 which proceeded to break when I installed it. So on the way home I went back to the original lowes and exchanged it for the correct one. Sometimes Murphy pays us a visit and stays for a while.

Well, I think you just flew right by me in terms of build stage! That's looking very cool indeed!

So the shower stall...no cement on any of the joints and it just breaks down completely for transport? What goes on the shower stall walls?

How did the top aluminum skin work out? Can you take an eye level photo right across the top? Trying to see what it looks like if I go this route too. And what gauge aluminum did you use?

Well, I think you just flew right by me in terms of build stage! That's looking very cool indeed!

So the shower stall...no cement on any of the joints and it just breaks down completely for transport? What goes on the shower stall walls?

How did the top aluminum skin work out? Can you take an eye level photo right across the top? Trying to see what it looks like if I go this route too. And what gauge aluminum did you use?

I'll get a pic of the aluminum later. It's back at the shop having the top rack built. I used 16 gauge aluminum. I first laid down a bunch of weatherstripping so it would be more level and not sink in the middle.
The shower is unattached PVC. I may glue some of the joints so none get lost in transport. I'm gonna use a shower curtain. I have one in the bathroom upstairs that is covered in countries like a colorful Mercator map. Perfect for overland travel...

Last edited:
Finally started building the top rack for the RTT. I may shorten the rack base. It's looking a bit high. I am 6'9" tall and I need enough risable headspace, so it may stay high for now or unless I can figure out a better system. Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish the rack, mount the gas lifts and the two lifts for the lid. Maybe a mount for my removable solar panels...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'd like to mount a solar panel like this one, or maybe stack them in a similar design, and or have one slide out from under the RTT...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94