My m416 being built

scramfan01

Adventurer
Great build! I stumbled across your build while looking for other ideas for extending the tongue on my m416. I too, will be putting a box on the tongue. Only mine will be housing my fridge/freezer. What are the dimentions of your tongue box? I have an idea how I want to extend the tongue on mine, so i picked up the steel today. I saw you live in North Carolina. I live in KY, and am taking mine to the Overland Expo. What day do you plan on leaving out?

Looks good. Question, what's with the unpainted steel on the top of the lid?

It's 16 gauge aluminum. I opted to not paint it for looks to match the tongue box and aluminum requires more prep work to paint. Plus it may help to reflect some of the sun's heat and keep the trailer a little cooler...my thoughts anyway.

Great build! I stumbled across your build while looking for other ideas for extending the tongue on my m416. I too, will be putting a box on the tongue. Only mine will be housing my fridge/freezer. What are the dimentions of your tongue box? I have an idea how I want to extend the tongue on mine, so i picked up the steel today. I saw you live in North Carolina. I live in KY, and am taking mine to the Overland Expo. What day do you plan on leaving out?
I'm not sure of the dimensions at this moment as I'm not near it. I'll post that later today but , it fit everything I needed to put in it. I picked it up at northern tool for $209. They matched their online price.
As far as leaving...I'm heading down to Fla around the 1st to pick up my buddy...do some beach metal detecting, then on to moms house for a few days in Louisiana and then to a friends in Austin and then make my way up towards flagstaff and the general area. If I get there early I may offer to volunteer at the expo or I may just explore the surrounding areas like the Grand Canyon, antelope canyon, lake Powell, the Burr Trail.......would love to convoy but my way is way out of the way.

scramfan01

Adventurer
Yeah, im going a little out of my way too. I'm going down to Mississippi to pick up my brother, then go from there. Good luck. Hope to see you there.

Look forward to meeting everyone. Today I mounted my gas struts inside the box. And got the Warn winch and winch mount and bull bar on my rig.

So I finally got back to the shop today and was able to do a few things towards the tortoise's build, like cutting a hole in the tongue to mount a 20 lb propane tank, which i will line the hole with some vinyl and run a bolt through the holes on the bottom of the tank so no one can just pull it out and i'll eventually run a strap over the tank to hold it in place and to keep it from rattling around in its hole. i finished building the rack for the RTT and started to work up a locking system for the lid, and lastly a base for my solar panels. The last picture is how I'm gonna mount my panels. Pix as follows...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
So I'm done at my buddy's shop, Yea! I appreciate someone who works for ammo. Same as cash. Plus other goodies I hooked him up with. I hope he is satisfied. I am very much excited about getting her set up and doing a test drive after I get the RTT and awning mounted plus install the water tank and lastly the tail lights I think...Got the big latch welded on plus two points where locks can be installed to keep honest people honest. I originally purchased a misnomer " no flat " tire from northern tool which of course developed a flat. The rubber layers were separating inside the tire. So I exchanged it for one I can fill with air. Then I primed and painted the rack.
Some RTT companies say you need to buy a RTT lifter to get it up on top of whatever it is you are mounting it on, well two 2x6x10's work just as well and I set it up there myself.:wings:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks and yes I am adding a rack with roof top tent. I just ordered 2- 250 lb gas lifts for help with raising the lid and 4-50 lb ones for lifting the rack with tent, plus the mounts. I ordered them from
http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-gas-struts/=re67el
The total bill came to $178.00 with shipping

Whatever you do, do not buy 250 lb gas struts. We couldn't budge them. Under the lid I have 175 lbs of lift and its almost too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior