My m416 being built

I am a total newbie here and have been lurking like an observant lurch for some time gleaning ideas from the site. Every time I load a picture on this website it sets upside down so you may need to stand on your heads or flip your vehicles to see them. I recently picked up a m416 from a guy off of CL. I am slowly getting her built up to par. This is my friend Shawn, he's doing the welding for me. He is a blessing to know, I cannot thank him enough. So,...he owns and operates RNH Machining in Asheville. When it's all finished, it will have a ;
Camping Labs Roof Top Tent,
A side lifted lid,
200 watts in two solar panels,
An Eccotemp on demand hot water shower
An inboard 26 gallon water tank with 70psi pump
Pioneer rack with tools
A tongue mounted box for all things electrical
Spare tire
Trailer jack with wheel
Stabilizer legs
LED lights
Rear bumper with hitch mount for bike rack
Eventually a slide out kitchen
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Tanks and have a glorious day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

orrey45

What are you doing at the receiver? I am trying to figure out how to replace mine at the moment. I currently have a 2" ball connection and I am think of going back to stock (lunette) or fabricating something to accept a 2" tube.

Looking good so far! Can you post some more pics of the axle? The hubs look like the m100 style.[/
I'll get some more pix tomorrow. It seems the trailer may have been made of various parts. Tc3 bantam hitch ,a M416 bed, modern tail lights, rims hubs from an M100? It didn't have any brakes and is missing the parking brake handle...some more things I'd like to address, but its slow learning as I'm new to all of this fabrication stuff...

Last edited:
Today we extended the tongue out to about 6'. Tomorrow I plan on extending the fenders from the front to the back and widening the area from 10-12". So I can mount Jerry cans and a raising RTT rack . I'm soo tired brain slowly melting from grinding off old lead paint. Also hoping to lower the axel under the springs so I can mount the water tank underneath the bed. The lid was made so the two sheets met in the middle, but when we welded it all together, it created 'waves' and the center weld looked kinda carpy..so tomorrow I'm laying down 1/4" x 1" weather stripping around the top horizontal plane of the lid and then laying some 16 gage diamond plate steel over it and screwing it down with self tapping screws. I hope to at least accomplish half of that tomorrow. My goal is to get the whole thing finished so I can hit the road in early May and make it to the Overland Expo then disappear into the horizon...:sunny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like that you used the original pintle casing.
Looks good and will handle nice.

It reminds me of anouther build on expo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,183
  • Photo0208.jpg
    Photo0208.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 176
I bought new tires today. Centennial M&S p235/75/R15, 4 ply extra load. Came out to $300. For 3. I realize that the original rim size is 16" but this is what came with the trailer and until I can afford more or new rims, these will have to do. They look cool. I may decide later to get a new axel and hub adapters so I can run the full size metric Ford 17" rims and tires, which is same as my tow vehicle. I also managed to remove all the rusty bolts that were holding the bed to the chassis, and removed the fenders. I'll hopefully be having her sandblasted tomorrow or next day. New fenders were made today but I forgot to take pix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 118
Crushed glass blasted. It removed all the rust and five layers of paint. I can actually read some of the Data Plate. Now I know it was made a month before I was born, in 1966. Which makes it a Johnson manufacture. The surface is now so porus it's gonna absorb the paint like water in sand.:snorkel:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 104
More...after blasting, building the fenders out to support the Jerry cans in the front and maybe a propane bottle or two in the rear. Erecting the platform that the RTT will rest on. It's a bit high but if I need to access the compartment below while on the road, I can still raise the lid without raising the platform. With the RTT on top, I believe it will still be shorter than the tow vehicle and kayaks. I'm just hoping it won't be too top heavy. Bought an inexpensive sidewind trailer jack from northern tool and cut off the small plastic wheel and welded on a much larger one which will be better support and maneuverability in sand, starting all of the electrical stuff like adapting the 2 solar panels, batteries shower, pump, tank, ect..painting her desert tan with brown trim either this weekend or next week, then tweek and refine. In the last picture, you can see how tall the RTT will rise to. I'm 6'9" tall. I would like to stand up straight in my annex.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The build made better

A word to the wiser. If you're gonna do a lid of your own, make sure to make two welds along the sides as opposed to down the middle. 16 gage steel doesn't weld well and it left a crappy weld down the center and rippled the sheet steel. I was gonna cover it with diamond plate steel and paint it, because D.P. aluminum was too cost prohibitive, but I was worried about the weight. So, I decided to spend an extra $100 on a smooth sheet of 16g aluminum, and after laying down a bunch of weather stripping both around the edges and across the center every 1' to support it evenly, and then predrilled holes and screwed it down with self tapping screws with rubber washers. At first I thought I'd paint it with everything else, but Sean suggested leaving it plain, that way it not only reflects the sun's rays keeping the box a little cooler but aluminum doesn't take paint or primer well without first doing some additional prep. We will see how she looks. Gonna try to paint it this weekend after doing all of the electrical work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg