Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
FYI: I believe Tactical 4x4 in California is making a different air compressor mount bracket that doesn't hang down so low which would have saved you the trouble of modifying the best sliders ever made! (I have RS sliders on my Disco 3 too)

Never fear, The sliders have a bump down slider for the compressor on the original design, and I am simply having it replicated ... just in a larger dimension. I also saved the original section removed with a plasma cutter.
It can be re-attached at any time! :)

Thanks
D

A.J.M

Explorer
Where can you get these RS sliders?

Did a google image search, they look the business!

Thanks for the info on driving with the rods, going ahead with them.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Interesting notes. I can't do the aftermarket compressor because my current ones under extended warranty. Besides i'm just waiting to run a dual air compressor in as an auxillary :ylsmoke:

Let us know about that! I am expecting the computer system will not actually allow this idea to work in real life without some circuitry or programing to go along with the basic compressor lines installation.

Regarding a warranty, you can do whatever you want if it is separated from the factory system. For example you could have a connector that you manually connect when needed rather than a permanently installed and integrated connection.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have the RS slides and needed to replace my compressor. The tactical compressor bracket wouldn't raise enough to clear the RS slider. It was close, but it still touches the slider and makes a hell of a racket when the compressor was running. I provided tactical with some updated pictures of the problem and suggested a small modification to the bracket that would make it work with RS sliders. Not sure if they will incorporate that into the next batch, worth asking if you need it too. Instead of hacking up my sliders, I ended up going with a rebuilt Hitachi compressor. I am going to also to to rebuild my old one as a spare.

Not only does the Tactical 4x4 bracket need to be revised, it also needs a little more room for adjustment as mine was barely a straight bolt on when I just tested it without the compressor.

What it really needs to do though in order to work with RS sliders is to also mount the compressor further forward, maybe just an inch or so. This is because the vertical flange on the sliders at the rear (facing the tire and suspension links) comes into contact with the T4x4 bracket. It's enough to keep the slider from mounting up at all.

VERY frustrating.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ya the system wouldn't allow a direct swap. Were planning on running an aftermarket compressor to a small air tank first that will then flow to a regulator valve to control the flow. From there it will go to a switch which I will be able to turn on and off to run it into the air lines. Basically I'll run the stock system at all times on pavement so its quiet, but when the load gets greater lifting and lowering off-road I'll swap to the aftermarket. As long as you run to the tank with the regulator the system should theoretically never know its even there.
Let us know about that! I am expecting the computer system will not actually allow this idea to work in real life without some circuitry or programing to go along with the basic compressor lines installation.

Regarding a warranty, you can do whatever you want if it is separated from the factory system. For example you could have a connector that you manually connect when needed rather than a permanently installed and integrated connection.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ya the system wouldn't allow a direct swap. Were planning on running an aftermarket compressor to a small air tank first that will then flow to a regulator valve to control the flow. From there it will go to a switch which I will be able to turn on and off to run it into the air lines. Basically I'll run the stock system at all times on pavement so its quiet, but when the load gets greater lifting and lowering off-road I'll swap to the aftermarket. As long as you run to the tank with the regulator the system should theoretically never know its even there.

This is very interesting. I already have an installed compressor in the engine bay which supplies a tank under the passenger sill. In fact the tank is the same oem version as mounted on driver side. The guage and outlet are mounted under the hood but I could easily have this regulator spliced into a feed connecting into the factory system. INTERESTING idea indeed ;)

Spacial constraints required choosing the "single" over the "dual" for the ARB compressor due to my choice to have it under the hood where it is protected from weather. The idea is to have it, the tank, supply ARB lockers but I use it often for tires.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I've made progress on the rear drawers! Next comes the center system which I spoke of before. For the rear I was able to cut and modify an old set we had for a Discovery one. We chopped the large drawer on the right 5 inches and I removed the fridge slide on the left in favor of a grill slide. I wanted an kitchen box on top of that so I picked up and Alubox from Equipt and made some mounts using spare aluminum and some rivets. It's not super fancy but it looks alright and it cost me 2.50 in material haha. I'll take cheap and equally effective over expensive any day. It allows me to slide the box out if need be but its tight enough to hold it in place without moving and rattling. The plan is to mount it with space underneath the middle to slide a camp table under.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Chris:

How does the ground clearance of the RRS now compare to the clearance that the LR4 has? Is it anywhere close?

I know the wheelbase also plays a role here. Just looking to understand the differences in clearance.

Thanks

umbertob

Adventurer
I don't have the exact numbers handy, but the difference in ground clearance, approach / departure / breakover angles between RRS and LR3/4 is really negligible. As I recall, the LR3/4 holds a slight advantage, but that is offset by the Sport's shorter wheelbase, which makes it a bit easier to maneuver in tight spots. Really, as far as off-roading capabilities it's a draw between the two. I wish the Sport didn't have those funky looking "fins" on the bottom of the doors, they get in the way more than you'd think over rocks and stuff. It's only plastic, but still you have to pay more attention especially if you don't have sliders.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I don't have the exact numbers handy, but the difference in ground clearance, approach / departure / breakover angles between RRS and LR3/4 is really negligible. As I recall, the LR3/4 holds a slight advantage, but that is offset by the Sport's shorter wheelbase, which makes it a bit easier to maneuver in tight spots. Really, as far as off-roading capabilities it's a draw between the two. I wish the Sport didn't have those funky looking "fins" on the bottom of the doors, they get in the way more than you'd think over rocks and stuff. It's only plastic, but still you have to pay more attention especially if you don't have sliders.

Agreed, 100%

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum

Are there sliders that actually replace the fins?

umbertob

Adventurer
There are (used to be I guess, since Rover Specialties is no longer manufacturing them) sliders for the Sport that follow the contour of the fins:

RRSsliders02.jpg
HC-1109.jpg
RRSsliders06.jpg
SED900.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
The big difference between them suspension wise though is the sway bars if I understand correctly. The sport won't articulate as much because its meant to handle corners and pavement better thus larger sway bars? In terms of clearance I actually have a smidge more than the lr4 now plus the shorter wheel base. Granted I'm on bigger tires than ours now too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior