Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Eniam17

Adventurer
Was there any reason you went for the rod lift over using the IID tool? Also what tire size and brand are you using along with the 18's while running at the lifted height? Please , no one turn this into a tire thread; I am only asking the op for this specific build.

zelatore

Explorer
I can't speak specifically to the RRS, but on my LR3 I had planned to go just with the IID tool but could only get 35mm of lift. I understand it varies from vehicle to vehicle. I too ended up running Johnson Rods. I also think the OJ LR4 ran into this when they tried a IID-only lift.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks all!

The screw driver is honestly a mystery to me. By the holes in the wheel well I'm guessing either the previous owner or myself hit it on the highway and it shot through the plastic wells and back out again before it got stuck half way. I just happened to see it hanging there when the car was up.

The tires will be posted soon in more detail but they're 275/65/R18 Cooper AT3s. An absolutely fantastic tire and with that size I have zero rubbing in full lock both directions.

You're correct on the limited lift characteristics with the IID tool. That being said we will be using one on this truck, possibly lower it back down a tiny bit, but mostly because its an invaluable tool for any LR with air suspension. Clearing faults on the trail if you go onto the bump stops is a huge deal.

St.-Newfie

Dang...just with the rod lift and borrowed Mickey's cannot believe how much nicer the overall stance looks :Wow1: Cannot wait to see how the 18s are gonna look with more tire and less wheel.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Some have said that the LR3 and RRS suspension bushings are different. I, personally, have not compared part numbers yet but if the rumor is true a 'downgrade' to LR3 bushings could result in increased articulation.

The truck already looks great, even with just the basic changes you've already made.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thats interesting I hadn't heard that before. I'll have to look into that and find out if I'm going to be swapping haha

Mack73

Adventurer
Some have said that the LR3 and RRS suspension bushings are different. I, personally, have not compared part numbers yet but if the rumor is true a 'downgrade' to LR3 bushings could result in increased articulation.

The truck already looks great, even with just the basic changes you've already made.

You sure can, but then they fail every 30-50k soo....

PJPR01

Adventurer
Well...better late to the party than not at all. There are many of us who have been using the RRS as our On/Off Road vehicle for years - equipped with good All Terrains (Nitto Terra Grapplers or Cooper Zeons, Roof racks (Baja or other), Johnson Rods or IID Tool, underbody protection (OEM or after market) etc.

Just ask Stephanie how she enjoyed the ride in the Blue one that came to visit in 2009 for OV Expo #1... :)

If you want to see plenty of pictures of the RRS in action, hop on over to Rangerovers.net and you'll see a core group of us have been using our RRS since late 2005 for this type of activity across all the signature trails (except the Rubicon)...

Enjoy your "new" discovery! :)

P.S. As far as cruising at 75 mph all day long...it will comfortably run at WAY more than that with virtually no effort at all - even while equipped with A/T's and a roof rack.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
You sure can, but then they fail every 30-50k soo....

I've read more like 70K-100K. Either way, if there turns out to be noticeable improvement it seems a fair trade off. I've seen 'Merican truck lift kits that consistantl go through bushings, ball joints, and rod ends.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha well thank you. I knew people used them all over but there seems to be a perception among most people that these things are glorified mini vans. That's clearly not the case and my hope is that people expand their views to realize how capable many vehicles are that they simply dismiss. Oh and Im very aware that 75 is on the lower end of the top speed but that would be irresponsible and something I would never test... cough :smiley_drive:

Well...better late to the party than not at all. There are many of us who have been using the RRS as our On/Off Road vehicle for years - equipped with good All Terrains (Nitto Terra Grapplers or Cooper Zeons, Roof racks (Baja or other), Johnson Rods or IID Tool, underbody protection (OEM or after market) etc.

Just ask Stephanie how she enjoyed the ride in the Blue one that came to visit in 2009 for OV Expo #1... :)

If you want to see plenty of pictures of the RRS in action, hop on over to Rangerovers.net and you'll see a core group of us have been using our RRS since late 2005 for this type of activity across all the signature trails (except the Rubicon)...

Enjoy your "new" discovery! :)

P.S. As far as cruising at 75 mph all day long...it will comfortably run at WAY more than that with virtually no effort at all - even while equipped with A/T's and a roof rack.

Mack73

Adventurer
I've read more like 70K-100K. Either way, if there turns out to be noticeable improvement it seems a fair trade off. I've seen 'Merican truck lift kits that consistantl go through bushings, ball joints, and rod ends.

RRS are more durable than the LR3 parts. Many LR3 people have specifically switch to the RRS parts for increased lifespan. IIRC the RRS is solid rubber, LR3 is a hydro.

So if you put the LR3 part on a RRS, it won't be as durable. Mine were replaced at 40k on my LR3 ;)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Before I bought the car I actually had a LR mechanic tell me that the RRS is the most reliable vehicle they had seen in the LR line. They hardly had any problems compared to the others. Whether thats true or not I don't know but we shall see soon enough

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
With the Johnson rods installed it was time to fix the few problems left with the vehicle. First and foremost was installing a good set of 18" wheels and a great set of all terrains. Following some quality recommendations from coworkers, I ended up going with Cooper AT3's in 275/65/R18. All I can say it that I couldn't be happier. From the trails I've taken and roads I've driven so far I can say they are an all around great performer off road, they're silent on the pavement, and the ride quality is fantastic on any surface. I've already seen a noticeable change in traction from the original set of wheels and tires plus gained the obvious advantage of being able to air down significantly more than on 20" wheels.

The next issue I had with the truck was a lack of reserve cargo space. Now when I'm traveling alone or with one other person this is no big deal for this vehicle. I can simply place my dog in the far back, my gear in the middle and hit the trail. Quite often however, the one or two person scenario doesn't pan out. I'm usually carrying three of four people in the car plus one or two dogs. With that much useable space taken in the truck, the only real solution is to place the gear on the roof.

Now I can admit I wasn't overly pleased with the roof rack options for this truck. I mean there really weren't any. You had the G4 rack which is kind of cool but outrageously expensive, the Baja rack which is really an attachable roof basket and not a full strength and quality roof rack, and then a voyager rack which although was better, still lacked the useable load space and effective platform area for mounting gear. Thankfully my friend Paul from Equipt Outfitters helped me with a little experiment that couldn't have gone better.

This is the Eezi-Awn K9 roof rack, which up until now, had never been installed on a Range Rover Sport. Luckily, Equipt and Eezi-Awn understand that not every persons needs are the same and thus design their racks accordingly. The K9 can be bought as a package for a specific vehicle or you have the option to buy all the components individually to achieve the right rack for the job YOU need, even if your vehicle isn’t on their standard fitment list. For the sport we chose to go with a 1.6 meter rack which was just perfect for the truck. It maintained every bit of functionality from the rear antenna to the front sunroof, all features work flawlessly.

I chose to go with this rack for several reasons.
First, it’s made from anodized and powder coated aluminum making it exceptionally light. Just around 40 pounds in fact. This means you’re gaining plenty of storage space with minimal shift in your center of gravity. That also brings the advantage of being totally rust free after years of use.
Second, its designed with utility in mind first, and looks second. While I love the slim design and think it complements the vehicle, the purpose behind it is more practical. The most obvious advantage is that there is far less rack howling in the wind which for me is one of the best parts. This reduced noise is reinforced by the flat slats that run lengthwise with the car giving less resisting surface area for wind to hit, and the aerodynamically wedged sides that help reduce drag and therefore buffeting.
Third, the flat and edgeless design allows for cargo of any shape and size to be strapped to the rack more securely and with less or no modification. Instead of having to mount your roof tent on raised brackets to clear the traditional raised edges, the whole thing can sit flat on the surface. Small cargo can be mounted without falling through gaps, odd shapes can hang over the edge without having to sit out of balance on a lip, and any thule and Yakima accessories can slide into the mounting holes pre placed in the slats.
Finally, and admittedly importantly, is the look of the rack. There aren’t many roof racks out there that I believe look this good on a vehicle. I feel it completely changes the stance of the truck and makes it look like a proper Range Rover. Instead of an oversized bulky behemoth on the roof, it hugs the aggressive lines the sport comes with, and manages to give it a slightly more adventurous feel.

I’m quite pleased with the current stage of the build. With the lift and tires installed its capability and comfort has been exceptional. The new cooper at3s have been able to grip and crawl over every obstacle I have thrown at them these past weeks without almost any wheel spin. When compared to every tire I’ve used before including BFG TA/KOs and Nitto Terra Grapplers, they have blown me away. The K9 rack has unsurprisingly done the same. The fantastic quality and design haven’t disappointed even slightly. I’m able to cruise without any noticeable difference in wind noise, drag, or CG while still gaining plenty of extra storage capacity.
There will be more to come this week as new additions arrive so I will keep this updated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles