Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

zelatore

Explorer
FWIW I had to do a compressor on my '07 LR3 earlier this summer. Last minute deal so I couldn't really shop around as I needed it NOW, so I got it from my dealer. It's the new version (Hitatchi I believe) instead of the old AMK. It's different, but comes with the needed bits to make the swap. The installation, at least on the LR3, is pretty easy. Hardest part for me was that it touches my T4x4 sliders so I had to make some minor mods to the mounting. The pricing from my dealer in Sacramento was similar to what you're seeing at $900 for the part alone (I did the install in the driveway in a couple hours including the slider work). They will also need to update the ECU for the new compressor, but it will run without the software update.

umbertob

Adventurer
FWIW I had to do a compressor on my '07 LR3 earlier this summer. Last minute deal so I couldn't really shop around as I needed it NOW, so I got it from my dealer. It's the new version (Hitatchi I believe) instead of the old AMK. It's different, but comes with the needed bits to make the swap. The installation, at least on the LR3, is pretty easy. Hardest part for me was that it touches my T4x4 sliders so I had to make some minor mods to the mounting. The pricing from my dealer in Sacramento was similar to what you're seeing at $900 for the part alone (I did the install in the driveway in a couple hours including the slider work). They will also need to update the ECU for the new compressor, but it will run without the software update.

It's actually the other way around, the AMK being the newer unit installed on MY2012+ and the Hitachi the old one. And while it is true the AMK will run without an ECU reflash, the software strategy of the two units is different so the AMK will not run correctly. For example, the Hitachi unit sends its temperature information to the ECU, while the AMK's is internally monitored, so you may get a suspensions fault due to a faulty temperature sensor eventually (which isn't really faulty, but the control module may think it is...) You really should get the correct software uploaded asap.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Well crap....I couldn't remember which was which off the top of my head and I'm not at home to check.
As for the software, it's been done. I was actually forced to run for a while without the update. My compressor failure occurred about 100 miles into the start of a week long trip to AZ. After the failure we returned home to make repairs; when get got back the wife ran up to the dealer (about 45 minutes away) to pick up the new compressor while I dropped the slider and removed the old one. I was waiting on her well before she returned. I then installed the new unit only to realize it hangs just a bit lower than the old one and vibrated against the Tactical 4x4 sliders so I removed everything and made some minor mods for clearance. The next morning (Saturday) we were at the dealer waiting when they opened planning to do the software update, but they couldn't connect to LR central to download the patch so we headed on down the road to Sedona. A few days later (Tuesday or Wednesday; can't recall) we ran down to Scottsdale and had them update the software while I drooled over the new F-type coupes on the floor. We didn't have any issues with errors during the few days we were running a 'mixed' system despite the 1000+ miles of highway plus a couple days of trail running.

PJPR01

Adventurer
It's actually the other way around, the AMK being the newer unit installed on MY2012+ and the Hitachi the old one. And while it is true the AMK will run without an ECU reflash, the software strategy of the two units is different so the AMK will not run correctly. For example, the Hitachi unit sends its temperature information to the ECU, while the AMK's is internally monitored, so you may get a suspensions fault due to a faulty temperature sensor eventually (which isn't really faulty, but the control module may think it is...) You really should get the correct software uploaded asap.
This is 100% correct...my new compressor is the AMK, and it needed the correct software flash to work properly, it was throwing a few error codes, but the dealer flashed the new AMK and re-calibrated the ride height sensors and all works perfectly.

Timmelman...aside from Telluride, well Jackson Hole is certainly another of my favorite towns...you can't go wrong there! Yesterday after coming back from Gateway, Colorado on the Moto Guzzi (fun 200 miler with twisties and red rock country like Moab) with my girlfriend we saw a huge storm come thru in front of us, it got quite chilly down to 42F, and there's now a beautiful dusting of snow on top of the mountain ranges here - I'm not sure if Imogene or Black Bear are closed yet...we're heading into town in a bit to see and enjoy the weekend here for the Telluride Film Festival. We'll catch you on another trip for sure! Heading down Ophir with a pretty good rain the day before was lots of fun.

Cheers,
Paul

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Hey Paul, my plans were to roll into Telluride tomorrow and do just what you did with my sport and a fellow 4Runner. But I can't take the chance of a failure way out on the trail somewhere, so I'm limping to Jackson WY for the weekend instead and doing the family thing. As for the compressor, funny thing is the Indie Shop I go to is the owned by a member of the Solihull Society and his wife is the event coordinator, I should ask about the discount. My mechanic said the compressor is a new version of the Hitachi & runs $900 plus labor for the new modifications and I'm not keen enough to get into that myself. However I will look into the AMK compressor. Sadly, I had a 12K warranty on the current failed part and just went past that mark last week driving home from California. Have fun and maybe next year.

If you need some help while you're here, take it over to Vroman's and Jerry will take care of you. If I weren't flying out of town today I would offer a hand as well.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble! Is there a common denominator here thats causing your repeat failure? Possibly another weak point in the system making your compressor run too long or something?

Steve, where in the US can I purchase the IID Tool? I have a feeling that my compressor has failed for the 3rd time and before I spend either $1400.00 on a new compressor again, or a 200 mile round trip to the local Independent LR Shop just to find out exactly what is wrong, I'd like to purchase the IID Tool. Any suggestions would be great. My suspension fault like has come back to life and goes from yellow to red and has been for 3 days now. Luckily I work from home, but my trip to Telluride this weekend just got squashed because of this.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I'd like to apologize to all those Sport owners out there for a nick name I accidentally started at our office. Its now known as the Range Rover Spork. Not quite a full bred 4x4 and not quite a road car... We know the truth though... it rocks.

packetstormin

High guys. I am highly considering picking up a rover sport for some light overland trips plus around town day to day driving. It really seems like the main issue I see repeating with these rigs is the air suspension failure. I know there is a company that makes coil-overs for a conversion. Why not run the coil-over conversion and just remove the air suspension? The kit is only $1500 I believe. Seems cheaper than having to replace compressors and leaking air struts all the time.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It really seems like the main issue I see repeating with these rigs is the air suspension failure.

I would question the veracity of your knowledge. Are you hearing about actual failures, or are you actually hearing about solid axle Luddites voicing their concerns about failures?

One does not equate to the other. The sad miserable truth (for classic Rover fans), is that these modern Rovers are disgustingly reliable.

packetstormin

Actual failure. See post 247. Aside from air suspension they seem reliable except maybe a water pump giving up the ghost. The jag engine is very reliable and so is the ZF transmission. Those are two reasons I am thinking about taking the plunge.

A.J.M

Explorer
Bar the compressors and maybe a valve block. The suspension is pretty good.
The air bags are protected by metal sleeves so bag tears are rare.
The inner shockers can wear out over time, which also happens to coil suspension over time.

The rest is wear and tear as a car gets old and the miles rack up.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
The air suspension is one of the things that make these things great. Ive considered going to coils in the past, but when it comes down to it you can buy all new air bags for the same or less than the coils. You'll replace them just as often if not less than coils as well. They really are amazingly reliable. The only issue that is common is compressors wearing out. Mine went about 75k before giving up which ill take considering how plush the ride is and how nice it is to raise the vehicle for a big obstacle or drop it to fit into a garage.

Yes you can remove it but you should really consider hard before doing so. Unless you're going around the world in this thing i would stick to air.

packetstormin

Thanks for the replies guys. I have much more to consider now. So are the compressors considered a wear and tear part? I did a search and they seem rebuildable so that is nice. I wonder how hard it is to rebuild?

umbertob

Adventurer
The dryer as a whole (the unit containing the desiccant that breaks down over time and often causes Hitachi compressors to fail) is reportedy no longer available from Land Rover as a spare part, which may limit your options a bit if you wanted to thoroughly service and rebuild your aging compressor.

The new AMK pumps Land Rover started using in 2012 are apparently a big improvement over the Hitachis, at least according to all the techs I talked to, so if your old compressor fails and cannot be repaired you will at least be able to retrofit a unit that should last you much longer (the AMK also seems to run quieter and faster.) Just about the only negative about the AMK is that its aluminum tray mount hangs lower under the car than the "hanging" mount of the Hitachi, and will decrease ground clearance a little. It will also make fitting it over an existing set of rock sliders more problematic, if your Sport or LR3/4 is so equipped.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz