Ice in ARB 63qt

shibubba

Hey guys,

Just bought a 63qt ARB fridge, bought the 63 because of the foot print ( needed it shorter, 17" high is the exact height of the action packers i use for everything ) and planning ahead for the family that is coming down the pipe.

Question is.... I understand that the fridge works best with as little "dead air" to cool as possible. So if running in fridge mode would you guys put in a few ice packs to help keep air cold and amperage draw to a minimum? Or if I pre cooled it before heading out would it maintain a low amp/hr draw? I cant honestly say I will be using the entire fridge space all the time..... that is a huge fridge, but I know I will in the future and I only wanted to do it once. I am going to run this off my arkpak ( 120Ah ) for 4-6 days at a time...may get a solar panel to help.

I assume I am correct in thinking the .87 A/Hr draw is under ideal conditions, most likely with their "90 cans" and next to zero dead space.

What do you all think?

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I wouldn't put ice in a fridge/freezer.

These are more pricey than your standard 'blue ice' packs, but if you're looking for filler that will maintain a low temp I'm starting to hear about these - http://www.arctic-ice.com/index.html

They say the Alaskan Series is for keeping beverages and perishables refrigerated, and the Tundra is basically a dry ice replacement for keeping things frozen when you're not opening the cooler that often

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto frozen water :) and you can drink it and have nice cold water and will make energy draw Niall :)
Chances are depending on how cold the ice will barely melt :)

brentbba

Explorer
I would fill the extra voids with frozen bottles of water.

Doh! That's a great idea to keep draw on the fridge way down and preserve the 2nd battery even more. I've drawn an Optima Yellow top down to next to nothing from a Friday afternoon to Sunday Morning when the ambient temp never got below 90, even overnight and well over 100 during the day parked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online