The Golden Gato - A 2001 LTD NM

Fergie

Expedition Leader
With these vehicles being somewhat uncommon in the States, compared to TLCs and other SUVs of that ilk, I figure that as much info on them should be posted as possible, so here I go with a build thread on my 2001 LTD Montero.

We bought this about a year ago with 100k miles, and from the original owner. The day we drove it home.
009_zps7e7c4a6d.jpg

As it sits today, no other modification aside from the 235/85/16 BFG ATs...my favorite size, favorite tire.

So far, as maintenance is concerned, I've gone through the entire top end of the engine and replaced hoses, O-rings, gaskets, and anything else that was hard and brittle. I did the timing belt and waterpump with genuine MM parts, and did the various oil seals too....no more leaks for another 100k!

I also replaced the VSVs and transfer case switches to get rid of the blinking 4wd indicator lights.

We are planning a huge road trip this summer, up to Banff through Bend, and back down through Kalispell and other areas. Before that happens, I have a list of things to do:
  • Yakima Railgrabbers so I can install my awning. - DONE
  • Rear door table- DONE
  • Rear storage well compartment for misc tools and recovery gear- DONE
  • Fridge mount and cage- DONE
  • Cargo divider- DONE
  • 12v hot outlet for the fridge- DONE
  • New suspension courtesy of OME.- DONE
  • Rear tire fuel carrier
  • Install my PIAAs that have been on the shelf for several years- DONE
  • Do something to make accessing the roof easier; step rails maybe?
  • Raise hitch up a few inches so it isn't an anchor
  • Install Sirius/XM radio- DONE
  • Replace antenna mast- DONE
  • And maybe other little things to make the trip better.

I'll post up the projects as I work through them and show the final product. As I have found out, Australia has a HUGE following for these, but the US missed the boat due to MM and their marketing.

And a big thanks to a lot of people here for the info they provided me over the last year...it is appreciated.

Last edited:

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Did you do the timing belt and water pump yourself? Do you have a ballpark on cost? Im trying to get an idea what it costs to do all the maintenance when I get mine

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Did you do the timing belt and water pump yourself? Do you have a ballpark on cost? Im trying to get an idea what it costs to do all the maintenance when I get mine

I did not do them; I had Good Carma Garage here in Flagstaff do it, along with some other stuff. I just spoke with the owner, and he said book time is 5.3 hours for the pump alone. Figure on some extra time for the camshaft seals and crank seal as well....basically anything that you can replace as far as a wear part is concerned while you are in there. And take my word for it, do the camshaft seals. The PO had done the WP and TB on mine not too long ago, but not the seals and I had a good weep going from them both, so make sure you do the CS seals, and the crank too. All in all, you'd be safe figuring 6.5 hours, plus parts.

Figure about $170 for the WP and gasket, $150 for the belt, and another $50 in seals at most.

When I was chasing down a bad o-ring on a coolant pipe, I just ordered the entire gasket set and added the seals as well.

Hope that helps.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Rear door table

I had delusions of getting several projects done on the Gato today, but only got the Trasharoo mounted, and started on the rear door table.

Trasharoo. I pulled off the rear portion of the clamshell tire carrier. With that off, my tire cover fits easily now.

For the rear door table(RDT), I started by pulling the back trim panel off. You'll need to pull a few screws too, but nothing is hidden or difficult to access. I wanted a table that was large enough to cook on, but not the entire length of the door, so I decided to put it where the headrests are stored. With the netting off, there is about 22" to work with for a mounting surface, and close to 24" from the out-out of the netting mount.

I used some 1/8" flat stock to make a backing plate, and the hinge mounts. For the hinge, I just used a piano hinge I had sitting around. I welded the hinge to the flat stock, poorly I might add, but nothing some flap disks and maybe some bondo to make it look purty. To make sure all my holes lined up on the backing plate and door side hinge plate, I drilled these together on my press. When I had the door side hinge plate in the right spot, I used a red hot screwdriver to make some nice clean holes through the plastic. I'll be using 1/4"-20 hardware as I have an abundance of it in the garage.

Here is the backing plate:

Mock up piece for the table width. I'm not sure how tall it will be, but that'll come later. I'll use a rubber snubber to minimize rattling, and the existing headrest restraint webbing to hold the table in the up position.

And the table in the down position. I'm not sure if I'll paint the pieces, or just clear coat them and call it good.

More to follow as I get the project done.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Welcome aboard!

Great looking rig.
What's your plan for the rear tire fuel carrier?

These are solid expo. vehicles IMHO.

Happy Wheeling!

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Well, my original thoughts are to use some square tube steel to space out the tire carrier by 3/4" from stock. Between the vertical pieces of tube steel I'd run a piece of plate steel. From this piece of plate, I'd use some round tube steel that is correct diameter to fit through the hub in the wheel, and extend it through the metal tire carrier mount and the wheel itself. I'd also reinforce the face of the metal tire carrier with some plate as well. Then, use an old style Blitz can carrier and flatten out the rear surface a bit and bolt a piece of plate to it. That plate would have a piece of tube steel off of it that fits into the previously mentioned piece of tube steel coming from the tire carrier. I'd use some kind of lynch pin to keep them together.

With that sort of design, I can remove the gas can to access the tire if need be. Mind you, I wouldn't be able to use a Trasharoo, so I've got to figure out which I like more. Honestly, after tearing to the rear door today and messing around with stuff, the gas can is going to go on the roof since I'll already have a rocketbox up there and the height wont matter at that point.

And of course, this is all in my head and not tested, so I may be entirely wrong on the entire exercise.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Here is the finished backing plate. I just used some clear coat as it will be hidden in the door.

It is not pretty, but it is functional.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
It sounds like you've got some good ideas for your gas can holder.
Below is a link where I posted a solution that works well.
It has proven bomb proof over many off-road miles.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...older-mount-options?highlight=gas+can+carrier

That is a much simpler solution; I like it!

This was my project for today:

I used an incomplete barrier from my old FZJ-80 as the starting point. Originally, the top hoop was one piece, and the bottom portion a second. I did not use the bottom hoop, and just ran a bar straight across. I cut the top hoop down to width so it would fit; surprisingly the contours worked well with the Gato. I'll post more pictures when done with the entire thing, but expect to see a fridge cage as well.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Great looking cargo barrier skeleton!
I looked into getting one from Australia, but the shipping cost made it a no go.
The more I thought about installing one, the more it made sense to just lash everything down, so nothing could become airborne in the event of a roll over. I also wanted my dog to have access to the front area when he is on sentry duty.
Are you looking at installing an access panel in the barrier?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Great looking cargo barrier skeleton!
I looked into getting one from Australia, but the shipping cost made it a no go.
The more I thought about installing one, the more it made sense to just lash everything down, so nothing could become airborne in the event of a roll over. I also wanted my dog to have access to the front area when he is on sentry duty.
Are you looking at installing an access panel in the barrier?

With how we carry our gear(Mountainsmith Modular Haulers), along with the fridge, and gear for us and two young kids, the cargo barrier is a better option. I don't intend to have an access panel; I figure if we need something from the back, it is a good time to stop and let the kids stretch.

I intend to use the 3rd row seat grab bars as the mounting point for the top, and the cargo cover bolts as the mounting for the bottom.

Now I just need to find some large, square mesh and I am done with the aspect of the build and can move on to the fridge cage.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
This was yesterday's project:
Cargo Barrier

And today, I started working on the fridge slide and cage, and cargo well. The well cover is just plain ol' plywood, cut to shape.

For the fridge slide, I used 1/2" plywood as a base, and anchored it in with two of the LATCH bolts, one rear seatbelt bolt, and one 3rd row seat foot batch bolt. The fridge slide is attached to the base with 4 bolts using t-nuts in the plywood. I've used this design in the past with a WJ and XJ, and it'll work on the Gato too. The well cover will be attached to some TS supports; the fridge base will get a bolted to this as well. The portion of the well not covered by the fridge will be removable to access the well.

I'll finish the wood by sanding it a bit, some lacquer and that it about it. The cage will be made of 1" tube steel and have a similar screen as the cargo barrier.

As you can see, the rear door cover is off due to the table project.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Fridge Cage

I finished up the bulk of the work on the fridge cage this weekend.

At one time in the past, I made my own Homemade Fridge Slide, but this time I went with an ARB slide for the Montero.

I started with the empty cargo well, and made a cover from plywood. I can't recall the thickness, but chose one that allowed the cover to be flush with the rest of the cargo area.

I cut the cover in two so that the left hand side would support the fridge and cage.

I made a small support brace at the joint of the cover pieces, with some angle acting as a support for the right hand piece. The brace is bolted through the bottom of the well.

I then made a cage with the same 1" tube and screen material that I used fort he cargo barrier. The cage is bolted through the plywood bases, and to the support bracket. The base for the fridge slide is attached using a seatbelt hole, two LATCH bolts, and a 3rd row seat bracket bolt as well.

I installed the fridge slide with some 1/4" hardware and t-nuts, and through the fridge on there.

We use a lot of Mountainsmith gear for clothes and camping gear. The cook gear is on the right, and the clothing can go on top of the fridge and lashed down in place.

I need to do all the finish work on the cage, and will take it to a local powder coater for the final bit. The open ends of the tubes will get caps to close everything off.

I still need to wire the posi-fit connector, but that'll be easy compared to this.

Hope this gives the rest of you some ideas for your vehicles.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Finishing up the rear table today. Done from maple and walnut.

I'll put some more pics up once everything is buttoned up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior