2006 Expedition Expedition. My truck as 'expedition' written all over it

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Thanks guys -

Here's how the front will be cut to fit the bumper - what I do not know: How the sides (just outside the grill) are mounted - so they stay in place?

040.JPG

DetroitDarin

Got it!

Now - It seems I may have been sent a bumper for a truck with a body lift, as my installer had to bracket things down with bushings - I'm working with TAG to figure out a fix. So - no winch install yet, but I have the lights mounted and will wire them today with quick disconnects.

expy_bumper.jpg

TheGuyJones

Observer
Looks awesome. You'll have to post some daytime pics. Really curious about how you ended up handling the grill issue.

DetroitDarin

Looks awesome. You'll have to post some daytime pics. Really curious about how you ended up handling the grill issue.

The grill was trimmed around - the bottom flaps if pushed-on, but the upper mounting points (under hood) hold fine. I'll find a solution to the grill shaking as time goes on. Also - currently have gorilla tape holding the inner fenders up to the bumper, as the bumper came with no attachment points for them. That's another must-fix as time goes by.

Couple more from the back yard today...

expy_bumper_2.jpg

expy_bumper_1.jpg

DetroitDarin

Tire upgrade - Being 20k miles into my Trail Grapplers - which I love - I got a stupidly-good price on a set of used 315/70/17 Duratracs.

Too much tire? Probably. New tires - less than 5k miles on them - for less than $200 each? Hard to pass up.

At full lock I have about 1/2" of clearance; gonna need some trimming for sure. I really want a body lift now.

I gave my Nittos to my Ex-wife; her leveled 02 SCrew pictured along-side for size comparison.

14857862876_9e5966d10c_o.jpg

14694239468_7c26218191_o.jpg

14694241638_7044fddef6_o.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice! I've always thought the Expedition was an under rated vehicle. Around here (CO) you can buy them pretty cheap.

Yours is a 2006 - does it have the IRS or the solid rear axle? I'm assuming if it has the solid rear axle you can use lift components from an F-150 or is that not right?

Great looking truck, though. BTW, you live in MI so tell me how those Trail Grapplers do in the snow and ice?

DetroitDarin

It's IRS. :( But the pumpkin is the 9.75 34-spline. And the IFS is different than the F150s, too, so...no dice.

I had the Trail Grapplers siped and frankly, I was impressed. While not great in cold weather (my ex had blizzaks on her F150 which was unstoppable), the siping helped the truck get where I needed to go. Here's a vid or two of my truck driving through powder with those tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4gxU2GlC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_TPJ_UkIg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckkFzJe-B8

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I had a 2005 Expedition as a work truck for about 7 years, developed a hate - hate relationship with it as the 5.4 ate coil packs like candy and was a real shop hog. Now, that said, I really like what you have done with your rig and had I been able to outfit my truck like you have done thus far with yours would have gone miles to sway me in the direction of loving that old thing. Like what you have done so far, keep up the good work. :smiley_drive:

DetroitDarin

Thank you! So far I'm okay on coils; I suspect I'm starting to hear the cam phasers ticking, however. :( One repair/new part at a time. Eventually I'll be so into the truck I wouldn't be able to sell it if I wanted :D

Raul B

Explorer
great looking rig. My wife has a -3 with almost 200k on the clock on a stock engine. unfortunately its only 2wd. every time i drive it i wish it was 4wd so that i could possibly take it instead of my truck. its a lot more family friendly than my f150. heck im even considering selling it and picking up a diff expedtion in 4wd. they can be had for under 5k with a lot less miles than the one i have.

does the 4wd expy have a 4 low?

ukrboy

Observer
great looking rig. My wife has a -3 with almost 200k on the clock on a stock engine. unfortunately its only 2wd. every time i drive it i wish it was 4wd so that i could possibly take it instead of my truck. its a lot more family friendly than my f150. heck im even considering selling it and picking up a diff expedtion in 4wd. they can be had for under 5k with a lot less miles than the one i have.

does the 4wd expy have a 4 low?
They sure do. I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer edition 5.4 4x4 Expy and it's surprisingly very capable offroad.

DetroitDarin

Thank you! The bumper seems fine. Although I wouldn't waste money on having them coat/paint it; just falls off with the slightest touch. A couple good cans of undercoating and i'm set.

Updated pics in first post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online