What did you use your winch for today?

clandr1

Adventurer
Figured this would be an interesting thread, and could possibly open some eyes as to how handy a winch can be.

This past weekend I used my tree strap and M8274 to pull out the trunks from some large bushes I cut down on the side of my house. Just bumped the front tires against the curb, set the parking brake, and the winch did the rest.

How have you used your winch lately?

Last edited:

Bobmog

Observer
Trailer extraction.

Winching out buried snowcat trailer. Used the Unimog as an anchor for the snatch block but it drug it to the bank before it started pulling the trailer out. Had to reposition the Unimog several times but it worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 280 whinching out trailer 3.jpg
    280 whinching out trailer 3.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 50

Bobmog

Observer
Loading the limp Imp

Used the winch to load my disabled Imp snowcat on to the tilt trailer. Had to use the Pinzgauer as a deadman to keep the snowcat from running off the front of the trailer once the trailer tilted.

Attachments

• Limp Imp3.JPG
    Limp Imp3.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 48
  • limp imp2.JPG
    limp imp2.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 46

clandr1

Adventurer
Nice pics Bob. I tried to use my snatch block to perform a 90 degree pull using my Yukon as an anchor, but I discovered I needed one more clevis to make the angle work. The hitch receiver clevis I had didn't allow the snatch block to pivot and be perfectly parallel with the ground, so I wasn't comfortable using it that way. It's the first time I've really used the winch and of course, now I know I need a couple of additional items.

fireball

Explorer
Currently using my winch as a footrest while I browse expo reading about mounting solutions and possibly relocating the solenoid box!

gezejeqa.jpg

mrchips

Adventurer
Used my Warn 9.5 XP to remove a tree that was growing over my sewer line and causing problems, sure beat trying to dig it out, took all of 10 minutes from the time I moved the Jeep and wrapped a strap around the base, and pulled it out.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Used my M8000 to pull a guy's 4 wheeler up a steep rocky trail... He was going good on his own until he kept flipping over backward... I actually hooked the winch line to a tow strap, and drove backwards... I dont have an explination as to why I didnt just use the winch to pull him up. Guess I'm just a noob...

verdesardog

Explorer
Used my M8000 to pull a guy's 4 wheeler up a steep rocky trail... He was going good on his own until he kept flipping over backward... I actually hooked the winch line to a tow strap, and drove backwards... I dont have an explination as to why I didnt just use the winch to pull him up. Guess I'm just a noob...

Don't tow with your winch no matter how light of a load, it puts shock loads on it......

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Thanks, I didn't think it was a good idea at the time... Should of listened to that voice in my head calling me "stupid". I know better for next time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

carbon60

Explorer
nusybu7e.jpg
u5ynyhad.jpg

Camping alone…

Put the rig into the ditch during a moment of distraction. Glad the winch didn't decide this was the day it was doing to die!

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I got royally stuck alone in the snow on a Sunday evening years ago. Made it home and to work on Monday thanks only to a winch, which quickly justified the expense in my mind.
What would you pay to get home and keep your job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior