2006 Toyota Tundra DC hunting rig/family wagon/adventure mobile

SPDSHFT

Great 1st gen. My DC is built for Expo off-roading. If you are NOT planning on L/T in the future, ICON C/O w/Camburg or Total Chaos upper arms is an unbeatable setup. I ran it for nearly 5 years with zero issues.

Another option for the rear is ICON's 3 leaf mini-pack. Gives the lift and factory ride, and you can still run your overload spring if your towing.

Check out my build on socaltundra.com or PM if you have any questions.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

huntsonora

Explorer
So, the plan was to leave Denver at 1:45, have a 40 minute layover in Houston, land in Tyler Texas at 6:45 and pick up the truck then head out to my buddies place and hammer hogs with night vision scopes and silenced rifles. Honestly, I was more excited about the hog hunt than I was about the Tundra

Then, United Airlines struck. They were late getting off the ground and I missed my connecting flight to Tyler. Hog hunt is off and they told me to take the shuttle to the Houston Hilton North but when I got there my hotel voucher said HYATT Houston North so I walked form the Hilton to the Hyatt in north Houston with $16,000 in my back pack. Fun times. I HATE UNITED! Seriously, I am pissed but there is nothing I can do except maybe stay in Texas one extra night and take my frustrations out on a bunch of hogs and break this Tundra in right :victory:

Anyway, how was y'alls day?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Wow low miles. I've had an 06 since it had 52k on it. Tall topper, sleeping platform, storage, 5100's. Use it for daily driver, camping, and hunting. Really comfy and my mechs tell me very reliable.. they are betting that the V8 will rival the 22r longevity wise. Only problems so far is bad power door lock, bad oem shocks and steering rack.. guess they go at 100k. It's really comfy for HWY. Gobs of power. Bit of a pig in snow/ice..gets stuck easy... just don't stop and you will be fine. Get good narrow tires, carry chains or get a locker. The 5100's are nice driving, but a bit junky imo. I toasted a pair after less than two years of easy driving. They warrantied them, but keep your purchase info! I have a feeling Bilsteins are made in China now. Why Toyota doesn't give some kind of real traction enhancer in 4wd is beyond me.

Cool rigs and a lot better looking than the 2nd gen!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Glad to hear my build thread is helping someone. I love my truck. The Bilsteins are great up front, and I have really liked my AAL. Go with the ST Maxx tires. They are great on and off road, and surprisingly quiet. You'll be surprised how well yor Tundra will do in most driving situations. Took ours out into the Maze two weeks ago, and it was great. Good luck on a nice looking truck.

huntsonora

Explorer
What a long few days! I will NEVER fly United Airlines again. Delayed flights and missed connections to no communication on when I could get out to the $7 meal voucher they have me for dinner. Screw United. They even broke my CPAP that was in the overhead compartment and I haven't slept good in 3 days. I'm whipped. That being said, I made it down there, bought the truck, smacked a truckload of hogs and drove it back to northern CO.

First impression, I liked it but didn't love. I wasn't sold on the color but it's growing on me. The PO hadn't cleaned it at all and he sold to to me with no gas in the tank which wasn't a big deal but when I got to the gas station and went to clean the windshield I noticed a few imperfections that I wish had been disclosed before the purchase. I knew then why it hadn't been cleaned but the fact is I still got a good deal on a truck with super low miles and I'm still happy about it. They wouldn't have been a deal breaker but you hate to figure it out less than 5 minutes after you fork over a fistful of hundreds.

Anyway, I took possession and went straight to the Toyota dealership for an oil change. The PO said he changed the oil every 5000 miles but didn't have any records or receipts and he wasn't sure which oil they used so I went right down and had them but their 0w20 synthetic and new Toyota filter on it so I knew what was in it and exactly when it had been changed. We went through it while it was on the lift and everything looked good. I changed out a license plate light and the air filter and called it good. I then met up with some hunting buddies and we headed out to break that truck in proper. We had a blast but we didn't finish until this morning so it's been a LONG day!

On my first tank I averaged 15.8 mpg, second tank was 17.2 mpg and the last tank was from Dumas to Denver and I got almost 19mpg. I am thrilled with that and the truck was a pleasure to drive. It's just tight if you know what I mean. The more I drove it the more I liked it. I am happy that I went down to get this one, I think it will be a good truck

That's the last fill up and I didn't baby it. In fact, I drove it like I stole it which was probably good for it. Who knows how long it's been since it was really run.

I'm looking at lift and tires first. The PO has those hockey puck looking spacers on it and I hate those so I'll be taking care of that ASAP. As for tires, I'm leaning towards the ST Maxx tires in either a 265/75r16 or the new 255/85r16. Haven't made up my mind yet. Lift will be OME 885 coils and bilstein up front and bilsteins and aal in the rear to start

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. I'm tapping out fellas. I'm beat

huntsonora

Explorer
Some nice mpg you got. The 2006 doesn't call for 0-20..

Toyota synthetic motor oil has a much stronger add pack than the off the shelf Mobil 1 5w-30 even though Mobil 1 makes it. The Toyota branded 0w-20 also has a much higher viscosity index than the off the shelf Mobil 1. Toyota had back spec'd the 4.7 liter v8 to take 5w20 so with the colder weather I'm positive it will be fine with the 0w-20. I also talked to the mechanic at the Toyota dealership and he said that the 0w-20 would work out great so thats what I went with. I will be switching to Amsoil on the next change and will reevaluate which weight to use

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The 0-20 will give you better highway mpg from my experience when I switched to 0-20 on a friends scion tc
I have a 2004 tundra. Wonder if I could run 0-20. Could you ask your friend? I know the 05 and up has the vvti motor so it may be different overall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huntsonora

Explorer
The 0-20 will give you better highway mpg from my experience when I switched to 0-20 on a friends scion tc
I have a 2004 tundra. Wonder if I could run 0-20. Could you ask your friend? I know the 05 and up has the vvti motor so it may be different overall

The guy I talked to was a certified Toyota mechanic at the dealership in Tyler Texas. I did look it up and they approved it the 0w-20 for any vehicle from 06 and up so my guess is that it would work fine. I plan on doing a used oil analysis at 5000 miles on this oil to see what it looks like. I will let you know what I find when its done

On another note, I have a line on a softopper thats made for my truck and will be going down to look at it today or tomorrow. I also need to upgrade tires asap as the ones on it are the original tires

huntsonora

Explorer
One more thing, I hadn't been feeling 100% for a few weeks and when my CPAP went down on my trip to TX to get the truck I just wasn't sleeping very well. I got home from picking up the truck on Saturday night and then went in for a shift at the fire station at 7pm on Sunday. At this point I was going on about 6 hours of sleep over the previous 3 days and I normally get 7 or 8 hours a night. We started doing some search and rescue training exercises and I couldn't finish one. I tweaked a previous injury and couldn't breathe and so I went home with instructions to go to the urgent care or ER to get checked out. I didn't go right away as I had an MRI on the previous groin injury just a week ago and wanted to get those results before I went back to get it looked at again and I felt like the fatigue over the previous 3 days had something to do with it. Long story short, at about 11 pm I went to bed and couldn't breathe. I felt like I was suffocating so I told my wife that I was driving myself to the ER to get checked out. Turns out I have had Pneumonia for over 2 weeks. No wonder I haven't been feeling good! Anyway, just a reminder to not be like me and get these things checked out. My groin injury is an avulsion fracture and I should have handled it a while back instead of waiting around. I have had Pneumonia for over 2 weeks and ended up going to the ER at midnight to get it checked out. Basically I was the guy I cuss when they call us at 2am for something thats been bothering them for days or weeks.

I am also doing a build on me the same time I build the truck. I was an athletic guy and I'm only 40. I'm 6'4" and weighed 272lbs about 3 weeks ago. I'm down to 258 now and want to get to about 230-235 which is slender for my frame. With 2 kids under 2 I let myself go for a couple of years and I am sick of not being in good shape.

All of us here love the outdoors and love exploring new places. We all try to keep our equipment in tip top shape so it doesn't fail us at the wrong time. Basically what I am saying is that I am going to take the time to get back as close to 100% as possible so my body doesn't fail me when I'm in the wrong place. I guide and outfit hunts for a living and spend time in places not easily accessible here in the US and in Mexico. The past few days have been an eye opener and just wanted to share it with you guys

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Good for you. I too am 40 this year and decided to celebrate by loosing 40 lbs. I have currently plateaued, at 30 lbs lost. I will be getting after those last 10 so I too will be fit and able to enjoy the outdoors.

huntsonora

Explorer
Lift is going on tomorrow. I'm going with all OME parts and hope for 2 1/2 to 3 inches in lift. It's kind of pieced together from various parts using a tundra top plate. I was going to go with the Bilstein shocks and OME springs but at the end of the day I felt like the OME shocks are valved for the springs so that's the direction I'm going. 885 Front Coil Springs with 90004 struts up front and 60091 shocks in the back with an add a leaf. It should be an incredibly durable kit that shouldn't require a lot of maintenance

I'm also leaning heavily towards the 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx tires right now but that's next

olypenjeeper

Looking forward to the pics. I'm running st maxx's in the 235/85r16 on my T100. I wish the 255's would have been around back then. Great tire, can't say enough good things about them!

huntsonora

Explorer
The OME kit is on and I am thrilled with it! Obviously it will settle but the ride is fantastic now. I can't imagine how good it will be once it settles. Here is a pic and I'll tell the story how all this came to be when I get home this evening. Wheels and tires next...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz