Service Bed input needed :0

jruba

Adventurer
Found this bed at a local yard , asking price is 400 but its too dam heavy ... could this be shopped in have or trimmed at least 2 feet from the center and make it narrower ? toughts , im thinking that maybe getting this done is gonna be more expensive that the bed itself ...advise please , thanks.

Attachments

• 20140324_174150[1].jpg
    20140324_174150[1].jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140324_174224[1].jpg
    20140324_174224[1].jpg
    560 KB · Views: 30

java

Expedition Leader
Are you wanting to take two feet out the long way? down the bed section? or the other way? Long way would be doable, but damn expensive if your not doing it yourself.

The floors on those are usually 1/4" steel diamond plate. Cutting that out sheds a fair bit of weight. Service beds can be found in aluminum, but they seem to be like unicorns, also fiberglass. fiberglass are a bit easier to find it seems.

jruba

Adventurer
I stopped by this place looking for a smaller bed , like one for an s10 or something like that , but they only have 3 like this one , i was thinking to cut it the other way , right now is 82 inches wide , thats too big for my need and i dont have the tools to do it myself to be honest ..

java

Expedition Leader
IMO keep looking if you cant do it yourself. $400 is a pretty normal price. Not a killer enough deal to make cutting it up worthwhile.

Explorer
By the time you're done, you'll have wished that you purchased a new aluminum or fiberglass bed, or had one made.

jaxonm

Observer
Im doing the same thing to a service bed. I searched for about 2 years for a short bed service body off of a small truck (1st gen taco, pre-taco, etc) with no luck. I stumbled across a short bed body that had already been converted into a trailer, but it is a full size width. Im going to run it as is this season, then pull it apart and narrow the body next winter. Thats the plan as it stands today anyway.

loren85022

Explorer
What are you towing a trailer with? Regardless, I wouldn't start by chopping this heavyweight. Short beds can be found. Do you know how to do a nationwide CL search?

Sent from my iToaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles