Triple-purpose JK Build

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Although there is no comparison between your awesome JK and my up & coming WJ....I hope to get mine somewhere near as capable as yours!

Super impressive job you've done! :beer:

TheGillz

Explorer
This is the rack I plan on getting. It folds up so that I can use the soft top easily, or over so that you can attach the optional awning. Might be something to look into in case making yours proves to be too much hassle. It is at wildboarproducts.com.

CRS510-3.jpg

CRA100-2.jpg

Awesome build! I tried to squeeze myself into one of those Jeeps but no luck they just aren't wide enough for me! I am truly envious of you! :wings:

Bjorn

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Jeep

I fist noticed your location then proceeded to read your build up thread. Very cool Jeep. If you make your way East, please let me know I'd love to show you arround!
Cheers,
P

LRNAD90

Adventurer
jsmoriss said:
This wasn't just our first Jeep, it was our first vehicle! We live right downtown, don't have a parking, and the subway or walking is often just as fast. But we were getting tired of renting minivans to get out of the city. So anyway, here we are, with a Jeep, and wondering about all the things we could do with it.

Wow, you must have been socking away some funds all those years of non-ownership. Many only dream about being able to afford both a new truck, and then all the goodies you have added/are adding. You do nice work for your first experience though, keep it up!

jsmoriss

Explorer
Best4x4xfar said:
Wow, you must have been socking away some funds all those years of non-ownership. Many only dream about being able to afford both a new truck, and then all the goodies you have added/are adding. You do nice work for your first experience though, keep it up!

:) Yeah, well, we're living a bit on the edge, financially speaking. :)

I'll have to post some pics of a nice little switch panel I'm working on. The original HU takes 2U (with no trim), so I'm replacing it with a 1U Alpine IDA-X100 unit + a 1U switch panel. It's looking pretty sweet. :)

I have quite a few parts waiting to go on (skid plates, axle shafts, tie-rod, drag-link, Hannibal awning, ARB fridge, 2nd battery, etc., etc.), but it's still mighty nippy up here to be working on the truck outside. :)

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
The First Test Fit of the New HU and Switch Panel...

So here's the first test fit of the new HU and switch panel. I'm pretty impressed. :) If the weather keeps up, I should have it installed this week (fingers crossed). :)

20080330-162839-lx2-20837.jpg

20080330-162857-lx2-20839.jpg

20080330-163013-lx2-20843.jpg

js,

WFTW

Adventurer
WOW...very impressive!

You've made a terrific choice with your selection of mods. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of the installation of the 2nd battery. :)

jsmoriss

Explorer
The Head-Unit's Done!

My little workspace. :)

20080405-110144-lx2-20862.jpg

The new head-unit and switch panel installed:

20080405-114458-lx2-20875.jpg

20080405-114336-lx2-20871.jpg

I've started on the Hannibal Awning. The original roof rack tube mounts have been removed from the brackets and they'll be bolted to some aluminum plates. The plates will in turn be bolted to the roof rack sides.

20080406-075136-lx2-20883.jpg

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Added some 35A 4-pin connectors on the roof rack -- one in front and on in the rear. The connectors are Bulgin Buccaneer 900 series; really excellent connectors. A little big, but the smaller 10A connectors weren't enough to handle the load. The front connector will be useful when I need to tilt the roof rack back to raise/lower the soft top and/or when I change from hard-top to soft-top, etc. Each circuit will feed 2 x 100 watt lights, so 16A per circuit.

20080406-144742-lx2-20889.jpg

I located them on the driver's side since the Hannibal Awning will also go on that side. I would have preferred to put both the awning and connectors on the passenger side, but the the awning and AEV snorkel (future installation) won't work on the same side.

I also just finished adding a Bestop Flexatrunk and Lloyd carpet. The quality of the Flexatrunk isn't great, but so far it's the only solution of it's kind available.

20080409-133350-lx2-20909.jpg

js.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne