Anybody Ever Stuff a Cummins 12v 6BT Into A Fuso FG?

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
On Extreme Offroad they are using a Ford F350 Dana 60 for the front axle. Is the Dana 60 a strong enough axle for a Fuso or NPR ? The axle that comes stock on FUSO 4x4's looks a good deal larger than the D60. That 6BT is also a pretty heavy motor at somewhere around 1000 lbs.

4x4coaster

Adventurer
On Extreme Offroad they are using a Ford F350 Dana 60 for the front axle. Is the Dana 60 a strong enough axle for a Fuso or NPR ? The axle that comes stock on FUSO 4x4's looks a good deal larger than the D60. That 6BT is also a pretty heavy motor at somewhere around 1000 lbs.

F250/350 dana 60 front axle rating is 6000lbs (2721kg) and I think the fuso is rated about the same, I'd also guess that there wouldn't be a huge difference in engine weight either ( fuso vs cummins).

Flys Lo

Adventurer
4x4 Fuso's are rated at 2800kg on the front axle. The Dana 60 is rated about that (as above). The 6BT I would guess would weigh slightly more than the standard engine (perhaps 200lb).

The Super 60 (fitted to F450's/F550's) are rated at 7000lb (3182kg)

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
There are a ton of bolt on performance parts for the 6BT. Super easy to get 300 hp - 400hp out of them and a lot more if you spend more.

DzlToy

Explorer
Dana 60 Bible: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

If the mods dont want the link here, take it out and just search web for "dana 60 bible" There are ratings from 4500 pounds to over 7000, so it depends on which one you get whether it may work or not. Same with the Cummins motor. A stock VE pump motor was 170 hp and 420 foot pounds of torque IIRC. The new ones are 400 hp and 800 pounds of torque. With some basic mods, any of them are power houses. The mechanical motors will run on almost anything and are simple to service and modify. After 07, they require ULSD.

A built ISB with accessories is closer to 1200 pounds. It is a long and tall motor, much more so than the Fuso engine it would replace. Add 360 pounds for an Allison automatic and another 150 pounds for an NV263 transfer case and you have a driveline that weighs 1700 pounds. A pair of D60 axles weighs in at over 1000 pounds. Probably not much different than the Fuso versions, but they are hard to find specs on.

Dana 60 gear ratios are plentiful, some as deep as 7.17 and as high as 3.73 (maybe higher, I am doing this from memory) There are tons of choices for axles, hubs, lockers, bolt patterns, widths, CV conversions, etc, etc, etc. You simply dont get that with a Fuso axle, at least not in the states.

300-400 hp should be plenty for a small cabover camper, tow rig, flat bed car hauler or about anything else you would want to do with it. The torque number for a 12 valve is about 2x, so if you have 400 hp, you are looking at 800-900 pounds of torque. Since it is a twisting force, you better build the rig properly to handle it.

Ian is not a "great" fabricator by any means. He does a lot of stuff wrong and for a show that "shows" people how to do things, I would not trust everything I saw on TV. Welding a T joint down hill is another one I just saw recently. Also thought it strange that he buys components to put the Ford axle in the rear and keep the leaf springs then cuts it all all for links and bags so he can lower the bed for a rock buggy to load up. Just throw some 4 foot ramps out and be done.

The truck is an NPR and there is not much room in the cab. A newer cab or a crew cab would be preferable for traveling/towing, though I assume he is not driving this across country and its just a project for the show and something to use locally. That said kudos for doing something different. If they do another Jeep build, I am going to hang myself.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
You can buy one of these with a 5.9 cummins ISB

In the US they were sold as the Ford CF 7000 and later sold as the Sterling SC 7000 and even Ford/Iveco. The one pictured is a military version sold in India called the Ashok Leyland Stallion.

I'm seriously considering building something similar to the Stallion based off a Ford CF 7000 . I just have to track down a front steering axle, springs, shocks, transfer case and drive shafts.

ashok_leyland_stallion.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz