Anybody Ever Stuff a Cummins 12v 6BT Into A Fuso FG?

BC in CA

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this forum. Posted this in the wrong section so sorry for the re-post. I've been duly impressed with the quality of craftsmanship I've seen in the build threads here. Very cool stuff!

I've been watching a show on Spike TV called Extreme Offroad. They've just started a new build, stuffing a Cummins 12v 6BT and Allison 1000 trans into a clapped out cabover. Can't quite tell the exact brand of coe. I'm sure a well trained eye could tell. Anyway, they're building up a Crawler Hauler to tote a rock crawler built previously.

Since I'm not exactly planning to climb Mount Everest with this thing, but would like more power, I don't think I want to do an axle-swap. Will hit plenty of sand and the occasional seasonal light mountain snow here in SoCal. No rock crawling in my future, but plenty of desert to kick back in. Undecided yet if I'll stick with duals or go with Super Singles. One truck I'm looking at is in need of an engine and trans swap (or rebuild).

Could the OEM axles on a 4x4 FG handle the added hp and tq from the Cummins/Allison combo mentioned above? Looks like the Cummins weighs just a tick shy of a thousand pounds. How does that compare to the OEM Mitsu engine and would it completely throw off the trucks ride and balance? What kind of mpg and performance would you guys guess possible with a Cummins in a Fuso?

When I started telling my cup holder (wife) what I was thinking about, the truth came out. Her vision of an RV is just a bit different than mine; to her an RV is a combination climate controlled five star rolling hotel suite and portable day spa with 24-hour 4 Michelin Star room service and a helluva wine list. (Many torrents surround her.) By appealing to her love of nature and ever broadening photography hobby, somehow I've been able to keep the door open. Prolly will be traveling solo until this rig is completed, tho.

I'm really intrigued by all this and thank you in advance for your responses.

Brad

alan

Explorer
Hi Brad,
I've been watching that build on tv also, great stuff!!
Just a 4bt cummins would be great in a canter4x4 the power they get out of them is crazy!
I have been contemplating building a 6x6 canter with a 6bt cummins:smiley_drive:

BC in CA

6x6?!?!?! Whoa!!! Sounds sick!

Can't wait to see what direction the Extreme Offroad build takes. The host is a pretty talented fab guy so it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. After watching the FG build done by westyss, I'm really tempted to try that approach for the house. Check out the aluminum or frp/fiberglass skinned panels available from singcore.com. Using the adhesive recommended by westyss and then covering the edges with aluminum, you'd end up with quite a tough little box. Really inspired by westyss' build.

Still trying to find out if the OEM axles on the FG will take the torque and hp of the 6BT. No answers so far.

Best,
BC

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I've thought about embarking on getting an old Isuzu with the 4BD1T and winding it up and putting the axles from an F350 under it.

IMHO its easiest just to start with an Isuzu that had the 4BD1T or 6BD1T from the factory. They are similar in terms of durability/power potential as the 4BT/6BT cummins, but quieter, lower deck height and wet lined cylinders - so rebuildable without a machine shop.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
There's a bloke up my way that is at the measuring stage of putting a Cummins into a Canter. He has done some other pretty unusual conversions on Landcruisers. As in fitting 220 hp and tandem rear end.
Ebborn Toyota.jpg
Kowari014-thumb-448x336-107627.jpg
BPg4MiNCIAIqLfj.jpg
This last one had a Cummins and now back to Cruiser V8 with nitrous.

Dan.

Last edited:

Jfet

Adventurer
The specs on the engine don't seem that impressive. My 2006 Isuzu NRR has 190hp 387ft-lb torque with the stock engine.

incognito

Adventurer
Hy,

i don't know what inspired them but the blue rally truck is kamaz 4911 rally truck 730hp, huge 2500 torque at 1300-1500 rpm. v8 17L engine. we are far far away from 5.9L, 12v 6 inline. true is a good reliable engine in the original configuration, not the powerfull one. is good with no electronics for speed due to light weight. for towing or offroading with a huge camper maybe it lacks some low end torque very important this is only personal preferences taste and i'm not an expert.
looks easy mods from their show, looks like it will take 5 minutes....
what's wrong with the original Fuso engine? i thought were reliable also
hope this helps
incognito

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There's a bloke up my way that is at the measuring stage of putting a Cummins into a Canter. He has done some other pretty unusual conversions on Landcruisers. As in fitting 220 hp and tandem rear end.
Ebborn Toyota.jpg
Kowari014-thumb-448x336-107627.jpg
BPg4MiNCIAIqLfj.jpg
This last one had a Cummins and now back to Cruiser V8 with nitrous.

Dan.

Yeah.....met him the other day. What a wild dude. Who runs a scuba bottle full of NOS in a mine ute?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yeah.....met him the other day. What a wild dude. Who runs a scuba bottle full of NOS in a mine ute?

That's it, certainly a wild man. Done some crazy things in his younger days. Apparently the rear diffs couldn't handle the HP of the Cummins so he went back to the V8 and added NOS. Needs the wing to keep traction on the rear wheels at speed.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
From what i can see from the picture, this truck does not have drive on the front wheels. That said... it would definitely be a head turner!

LukeH

Adventurer
Last edited:

4x4coaster

Adventurer
There is a guy on the 4WDACTION forum in Australia who converted a small bus to 4wd and put a 6BT in it.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57800

And another guy who put a 6.0 litre Ford Diesel in a Canter

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=118103

That would be me!
Hi from 4x4Coaster.

I also know the guy that put the ford 6.0 into a cab chassis. The chassis is actually an old inter chassis and if I remember correctly he put an Isuzu cab on it. The motor is set well back behind the cab because he couldn't fit it under the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior