1985 Toyota Sunrader Axle Replacement options

safariman

Observer
Hello all,
Firstly excuse me if im posting in the wrong section of expo

Relatively new to the the bohemian Toyota motor home world.

I picked up an 85 Toyota Sunrader for $1500 last year only intending to use it for a couple of week at burning man and sell it on.
It had been left up for years so was in rough shape. but no rust and engine was good apart for clutch, hoses, tires etc.
anyways i developed a soft spot for the old girl and hence the restoration.
shes nearly back in pristine shape after extensive work mostly on the inside and rewiring.

It has the old 5 lug dully axle that never got recalled so i want to change it out ASAP.
I need to know options for axle's

Possible Plan:

Change axle to 1 ton single axle if possible ( Dont want to deal with so many tires and spares )

Lift it 2-4 Inches (Body lift)

Increase tire size

possible conversion to 4x4 if i still have it in a few years and wanted to invest the cash.

Question is what axle could i use that wont break the bank??
Needs to be 1 ton ,cheap and second hand
Have option for a locker or posi

Any info would much be appreciated.
IMG_6184.jpg
IMG_6593.jpg
IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That sounds like quite a chore to put a body lift on that. We have a Toyota RV in the family and love it but wouldn't dream of doing any of that to it. If you really need bigger tires, maybe do some fenderwell trimming up front, crank the torsion bars a bit and put helper springs or airbags in the back.

For the rear axle, start scouring for a Toyota 8" full-float axle from a Toyota commercial chassis (motorhome, moving truck, flatbed, utility bed, etc).

The later ones with the 6-lug full-float rear end used adapters on the front in order to use the 6-lug dually wheels up front as well. Maybe you could source some of those from a Toyota commercial chassis as well.

UHAULER

Explorer
You might look into a Chevy/GMC semi-float 14 bolt rear axle from a late 80's to late 90's heavy half ton. It might be an option. It would eliminate the duallys, the width might be close to the wider rear body, 6 lug to match a toyota straight axle in the front if you want to go that route, probably much stronger than the current rear axle and fairly cheap.

Redneck92

Observer
I'd look at a FZJ80 rear end for a swap. I think the rears that come in those are FF 7.5 but not sure, I don't think it's the 8. The 80 rear end is FF and has a stout 9.5 center section, it will be just fine with the weight but the width might be an issue. The front axle out of the 80 would be a good axle for a sas but the frame on that would definitely need to bracing and plating to keep everything in check.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think going with an axle from something like an land cruiser 80 would be best as it would make getting future parts and repair easier - especially if you are planning on taking it down south to mexico or beyond.

Even if the rear axle is a bit on the narrow side - I think it would be the best option. An axle from an 80 would probably be wider than what was originally on that truck (as a non-dually).

getout

Adventurer
Nice looking sunrader. You can occasionally find the 6 lug/1-ton dually rear ends from old toyota Uhaul trucks. Then you can run duallies or potentially convert it to a single wheel with disc brakes (I'm working on doing that for a 4x4 sunrader conversion I'm doing http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5249&page=17 give it about two weeks and all my rear end pictures will be posted).

Another option would be get a 3/4 ton rear (out of a regular 4x4 truck) and convert it with a full float kit like this one http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=94.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

safariman

Observer
will have to sit down a digest my options.

A person from another forum posted this.

GM 8 lug Dana has the same gear ratio as the Toyota 4.10. The width would equal your dual wheel setup but allow the use of single wheels. The spring perch would have to be flipped over, and rear driveshaft modified to mate to the GM axle.
15" 8 lug wheels with 205-15 Lt tires on the back. 8 lug adapters on the front Toyota rotors and same wheel and tire will complete the package.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
i think you need to grab a tape measure and find out just how much WIDTH you have to work with for an axle. Id have to assume than a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup axle is probably wider.

That said, a Ford "sterling" 10.25 would be dirt cheap too.

hell, Ive got an extra sitting in my side yard right now. Even has 4:10s :coffee:
Id give it to you for free if you were local.

They can normally be had used for less than $150

And are full-float goodness. With a load rating somewhere around 6500 lbs.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Just a note that the *edit 1985* 2wd 1-ton commercial chassis has 3.90 R&P, not 4.10.

I brought up the 1985 product brochure on toyotareference.com

Last edited:

getout

Adventurer
Just a note that the 2wd 1-ton commercial chassis has 3.90 R&P, not 4.10.

I brought up the 1985 product brochure on toyotareference.com

Just a note: Not all are 2wd 1-ton rear ends are 3.90 R&P. My 1990 Sunrader with a V6 and it has a 4.10 R&P.

Here's a good site for reference...assuming you can look at the info plate on a door jam before of the vehicle you're getting an axle from.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles