Diesel Exhaust and Cancer, FYI

medicfernando

Adventurer
The World Health Organization relatively recently upgraded diesel exhaust to a category 1 carcinogen. That means that the particulates and gases in diesel exhaust are known to cause cancer. It used to be in a lower category as a "suspected carcinogen." Diesel exhaust has been shown to contain more than forty substances, gases and particulates that have been listed as hazardous air pollutants and are likely to be carcinogenic and a respiratory hazard to humans. According to NIOSH, for those who work around diesel vehicles, diesel exhaust should be regarded as an occupational carcinogen. What does that mean to all of us diesel vehicle owners? Just be careful not to expose yourself to the diesel exhaust fumes whenever possible. Do not ever idle your vehicle in your garage, even with the overhead door open. Do not have your vehicle idling when working near the exhaust, such as when changing a tire, etc. Newer diesels with re-gen type catalyst systems are definitely cleaner but similar caution should still be exercised when around exhaust. I am certainly not going to run out and sell my 7.3 L Diesel SMB, however, I am very careful about where and when I let my van idle and my proximity to the exhaust. for anyone interested I am happy to cite articles or provide you with more information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles