10g Wire Big Enough for Fridge and Ham Radio?

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Just like the title says. I don't have a radio or fridge yet, but I am going to be doing some wiring today and will route the wire in anticipation of getting the gear.

Heading outside now, quick replies appreciated.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Depends on the run length but 10ga will likely be fine.

The fridge will likely pull about 3 amps maximum, assuming you are running a standard Engel/ARB/Edgestar style 12v compressor style fridge. The radio should pull minimal power but it depends on your setup.

This chart is pretty pessimistic but it gives a general idea:
12v_2p_0.gif

unseenone

Explorer
I did two separate runs, one for the fridge and other accessories #12, and a 2nd larger one for the HAM #8. I believe the above chart is for copper stranded wire at approx 75 degrees. I fused both negative and positive leads.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Also, something I forgot to mention: You may want to run a dedicated wire for your HAM. The compressor could induce noise.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Most VHF/UHF radios come with #14 or #12 wire harnesses so you should use at least the same to extend them and ideally something larger. So #10 is probably fine for 50W mobiles. If this is for a 100W all mode, all band then you should bump up to #8.

ExploringNH makes the best point, running the radio on the same circuit as anything else and especially something as noisy as a fridge is asking for trouble. I'd run two separate circuits even if that meant using #12 or something and just accept the slightly higher voltage drop.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
What your wanting to power is unimportant. What is important is the current draw of each item. Or the voltage and watts needed for each item. Since there was little to no info you might mention if the voltage, most have assumed 12v but is it 120 or 240?

DaveInDenver

It actually doesn't matter if it's 12V or 120V to calculate voltage drop. That is a function only of current and resistance. But, yeah, we are presuming that he's installing 12V devices. Didn't occur to me that it might be something else since most of the time people are outfitting vehicles here.

JUNAC

Observer
#10 wire is rated for 30 Ampere. I'd be surprised if the fridge you want to run draws more than 5 or 6 amps. The ham radio, maybe 0.75 of an amp.
#12 wire is rated for 20 Ampere.
#14 wire is rated for 15 Ampere.

ExploringNH

Explorer
#10 wire is rated for 30 Ampere. I'd be surprised if the fridge you want to run draws more than 5 or 6 amps. The ham radio, maybe 0.75 of an amp.

Depends on the distance. A #14 wire will not carry 12v over 100ft. At the end you will lose a significant amount of voltage due to resistance. This will, in turn, increase the amperage pulled by the device or trigger a low voltage cutoff switch, if so equipped (and most 12v fridges are so equipped). At best you reduce the life of the device by putting more strain on the components. Typically you will blow a fuse, trigger a cutoff, or start a fire.

DaveInDenver

A ham radio will draw on the order of 0.75A on receive but will be significantly more on transmit. A few common radio spec'd consumption at max power transmit: FT-7900 is 9A, IC-2300H is 11A, TM-V71A is 13A, IC-7000 and FT-857 are 22A. The IC-7000 draws around 2A on receive, so it's a hog regardless.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone's responses, your assumptions were correct. 12v fridge, ARB, edgestar etc. regular VHF/UHF mounted in the cab of my Duramax, so the run length is probably 4-6'. Nothing to exotic here.

I'm heading out on the Mojave Rd in a couple of days and was running wire to a 30w amp a friend loaned me to boost up my Kenwoods measly 5w. I had some 10g in the garage that I ran to a Blue Sea fuse block I pulled from my 4Runner. I was hoping to run the radio, fridge, and a couple of USB outlets for the kids off the block. I didn't think about the fridge causing noise, so I'll probably do a separate run when I buy a real radio.

Thanks again for the quick info.

gary in ohio

Explorer

Not sure what ham radio you have but my mobile ham radio draws 2 amps on receive...... and close to 18A on transmit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles