A question about tires??? Specifically experience with Michelin XZL and XML or G177

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK a couple of facts to start with before I get the "why not" type answers.

I am limited by lug pattern and rim availability to 20 x 9 wheels. (oh I wish I could of got 22.5 x 8 or 9 with the correct back spacing to single it out)
Until I am sure about this rig I don't want to put a the equivalent of a good motorcycles value worth of tires on it.
1 of the 3 options I list below are what I will be getting (no swampers/IROC /Sumunto etc).
My truck has 8000lb front and 12000lb rear max axle ratings. Currently sitting at 7000lb front and 9600 rear.
I can with some rework (bucket loads actually) stuff either tire under the guards. Steering angle will not be affected but rear clearance may become an issue (airbagged rear harder to lift)
No rock climbing involved (2wd for now) but want the ability to air down for softer ground if required. Mostly paved to rough gravel roads rather than "trails".
Looking at the Michelin spec sheets for the XML's it does not even have a recommended pressure for the front axle max load leading me to think it may ride rougher????

I will be getting either 11:00R20 Michelin XZL, 12:00R20 Michelin XML or Goodyear 11:00R20 G177's. (I am putting both the 11:00R20's in the same context as they seem pretty similar in tread pattern and size)

Has anyone had experience with either of the Michelins relating to noise, comfort, wear rates on road and the dreaded availability? (I intend to carry 2 full spares and maybe an unmounted one when out of the country)

egn

Adventurer
I used Michelin XZL for about 30.000 miles.

The wear is low and they should be fine for about 40 - 50 thousand mls. But after some time I got a sawtooth pattern that can only be fixed by interchanging the wheels. Of course, the reason for the pattern may be not perfectly working shocks. The pattern caused that the tires are getting really loud.

You should always keep an eye on tire pressure an set it exactly to the value Michelin specifies for the corresponding load. Otherwise you get uneven wear very fast.

As for the performance, it depends most on the depth of the pattern. New they are really good in sand and mud. But after some wear, mud performance isn't that good anymore. Mud is filling up the treads and is not cleared by the rotating wheels.

Performance on wet or icy roads isn't that good. I always drove very cautious in this situation. The break distance is getting considerably longer as on dry roads.

I now have changed to Continental HCS tires and and they are currently much more silent than the Michelins, even they are already about 70-80 % used. I also expect much better behaviour on wet roads because of the other thread pattern and the softer rubber. Of course, the later will cause more wear.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
We used XZL exclusively on EC`s in the early days. Great tyre (oops tire) for off road. Not so great to on the hard stuff. We have seen 75K - 35K in useful life, they do require regular maintenance to get the best out of them.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ha I understand tyre but after 15+ years out of Oz I am getting ambidextrous with the bastardization of English spelling in the other colonies.

Thanks guys. I ended up up going with Goodyear G177 based mostly on the $$$$. They should arrive this week and then the fun of stuffing them under the guards.

They arrived. Checkout the size difference and yes that is a full size garbage (trash for the Americans) bin.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

Last edited:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
How the install go? I'm about to put the same ones on my rig, been wanting them for a while. Figured in the mean time I'd use up my Mitch's.
Have really liked the GY's on Tuff's She Beast but they're 395's. Wanted to keep mine 11x20's on stock rims for now.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The tires are fine. A little noisy but that is to be expected for this type of tire. Give me a yell if you need tubes I think I have 1/2 dozen new ones. I may also have a full set of tires for sale if the 365/80R20 install goes well (6 of them were 0 miles when I got them, 4 now have a few hundred miles on them).

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
They're only noisy because your on the pavement ;) I'll keep the tubes in mind. Picking my tires up in a day or two, already own them they're just "up the mountain" at a friends place and I've been running all over the place and had no time for them.
365's, those are the tires. I wish there were more of them being surplused out, that would be my tire of choice.

I'll be interetsed to know how that goes and if you like them in the soft stuff.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Just realized that you don't have the ambo in your avatar any more and these are going on the Freight.
So, you're prob not looking to get it in too much "soft stuff", I support you in that ;)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yeah not too much soft stuff for the FL. Only looking at the floatation the 365's will provide to hopefully keep the front wheels from sinking into the sand too much. The bonus of the surplus stuff is that they can be aired down a long way compared to normal OTR tires. I think I have upper the size of the contact patch compared to the 225/70R19.5's :)

Say maybe I should get Bruce to fit the spare 11 x 20's on the bus.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
LOL, Is that where you got the Freight from? Bruce, and Shar?

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No but I did check that one out before I bought mine. His was a good one but I wanted the extra cab and had to go to Florida to find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier