Ambo Gut Project: Need Something?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Patoz go buy a lotto ticket!

The entire system is built into a tub which unscrewed intact without having to mess with it (too much) I've spent the last hour and a half pulling as much of the wiring out intact for you. Hopefully it wont take too much longer. Basically it's an ambo in a box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex, you da man!

Is that diagram removable, or can you at least get a good clear, readable photo of it? Man, I'm going to owe you big time! :cool:

Also, when you get a chance can you get a picture of the tail light assemblies. Mine are shot as well, and need to be upgraded to something more modern. Those latches under the crew bench can be useful, and stainless steel piano hinge is very expensive to buy, so I would get of that also if I were you.

If you find anything "cool", make sure you post the link. :) Share the coolness. Hehe.

Tom,

I sent you a PM about switch panels which may help you out. And yes, I'll post links to anything 'Cool' I find that we can use. I guess it's time for me to start my own thread instead of piggybacking on you guys. :rolleyes:

cjken

Explorer
Hope that the rain did not slow you down too much.
Did you happen to get the door catchers/stops off the box. My black one is missing those.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396135858.843160.jpg

I can't think of anything else right now.

flightcancled

Explorer
Rain didn't make of a difference. Finished up and left. Now stranded with a bad mass air sensor in the middle of mass. This is not my week.

Board and 31 pin connections to the wiring harnesses. Eventually I had to give up and start chopping the bundles as far back as I could.
u2evegah.jpg

yrahagym.jpg

Loot

Final product:

6e8yje3a.jpg

mapypyme.jpg

ada4yqyv.jpg

To answer questions: it's a 2000 f350 road rescue, only the box and conversion materials were available, and sorry ken already left.

patoz

Expedition Leader
So Alex, do you work part time stripping cars too? :D Man, I'll bet you're worn out! Are you stranded where the Ambulance is, or broke down on the road? Are you on your way home or going to work on it Sunday also?

The stuff you removed doesn't look like that much when it's installed on the ambulance, but when you pile it up, its huge. That's probably going to cost a fortune to ship, but still cheaper than buying new. Once we figure out who is getting what, I'll get with you by PM and work out the details for payment.

Have you decided what you're going to keep for yourself yet? I hope you got that fine pair of aircraft chocks for yourself and kept all of the S/S nuts, bolts, & screws also. That stuff adds up quickly. I also hope you got those siren/pa speakers off of the front bumper. Those things cost about $200.00 ea. new.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't want to appear greedy, but I'm going to list the things I could use in order of priority. Considering what's missing and what's trashed on mine, that's a lot of stuff. But, if anyone needs a 7.3 diesel engine intact with automatic transmission, I have one of those I don't need.

1. All outside emergency, work & load lights, tail and backup lights. All of mine are completely worn out due to this unit sitting and working on the beach in the blistering sun and salt air for 21 years.

2. The rear switch panel with the A/C control, along with the relay/breaker panel in the box, and all associated wiring that's available. A lot of my panel wiring was chopped up when the scavengers hit as soon as they found out it was up for auction. So, I'm hoping I can use this stuff to repair the damage and add the additional circuits I'm going to need.

3. The three inside 'L' shaped door grab handles. Two of my doors are missing all of the handles, and the third is installed using a bad design.

4. Interior lights - I told Tom it sounded like he needed them more than I did, so he should get first dibs on them, and I would take whatever he didn't use. I want to change mine to LED and the LED cluster boards are rectangular and would fit better than in the round ones. Are the ones with the U-shaped tubes fluorescent lights? If so, I may be able to use them also.

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
I had a bug somehow get into my air intake and then get sucked directly onto the MAF sensor. It was so violent I thought I had a catastrophic engine failure. After limping it to a garage to be diagnosed and cleaned I was fine for an hour before it started acting up. Limped it to cape cod, reset the computer overnight and then it was fine all day yesterday. I made it all the way to 90 without issue and then it all came back. Whereas before the engine was running really rich now it was totally lean and starving. I had to stop and sit with the battery disconnected a few times, but shear stubbornness and desire for a shower won out. Hopefully I can get it cleaned again and find a new sensor because this one is probably dead.

Yeah Ken I wanted those for myself actually but time and batteries ran out. I only had Saturday to strip it and I had already gotten an extension when I cut my thumb.

Unfortunately the batteries died pulling the handles off, so I only was able to remove 1. It would still be great for the side door. I love the curved style now.

I'm thinking I will need to build a crate to ship the panel so we should look into freight shipping. Between that and the wiring you are looking at almost 50 lbs I'm guessing. I grabbed the laminated diagram so you have a prayer at sorting it all out.

Unfortunately after wrenching with it for 3.5 hours yesterday I had to pull the grinder out and start buzzing off the harnesses otherwise I would have lost the whole day. I did take as much as possible though.

There were 17(?) total interior lights with a million different mode options. When I got there 4 were hooked into a 5 minute timer switch and even with barely any juice in the batteries they were enough lights. I think that those can easily get split between a few rigs. A few have a hi/low bulb and wiring harness, and the rest are 1 setting.

All the exterior lighting I don't need with the exception of the tails. Mine are shot and hideous to boot.

The sirens were not coming out with the time I had. I would have had to drop the fender to get to the nuts. A bummer, but the owner is taking it all apart so I may get it later on.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a bunch of interior lights in that thing! If I recall my unit only has 6 overhead lights in the box, though they're of the high/low variety. Might be enough lights to cover both of us! I'll check on the quantity next trip outside, which I'm not all that excited to make since our local Ohio version of Old Man Winter decided to dump a blizzard on us last night. Supposed to be almsot 70deg in a couple days. How rude the old fart is.

Be quiet Pat. I'll be down there suckin up your weather by the end of June. Just in time to fry eggs on the hood of my truck. Hehe.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Alex,

There is an Old Dominion Freight Line & Terminal about 8 miles from my house, so that would be not problem. I have never used them and have no idea what they charge, but at least it's close. So based on the last two post, let me see if I've got this right as far as what I'm getting. This is more for me so I can keep it straight in my head. :confused:

1. All outside emergency, work & load lights. You're keeping the tail/backup & turn signal lights, right? It looks like we have the same type, and if all you need are lenses, I found a source for them and they are not too expensive.

2. The rear switch panel with the A/C control, along with the relay/breaker panel in the box, and all associated wiring that's available.

3. Interior lights - Whatever Tom doesn't need.

Are the ones with the U-shaped tubes fluorescent lights or what?

Unknown lights.jpg

After looking at the pictures of the inside 'L' shaped door grab handle and my doors, I don't believe there is enough room to mount them properly, plus I would have the old holes to deal with. I think I'll be better off just finding OEM replacements, so they will match what I have left? Mine is just standard marine railing components, but that stuff is very expensive unless I can find some used parts somewhere. So I'll pass on that and maybe if you go back later you can get the other two and use them on yours.

Tom,

If you are near Pensacola, give me a shout and maybe we can get together for lunch and compare notes. Or if you're in a campground I'll visit you there, just let me know. :cool:

Also, if you get rid of the diffuser light panels, don't throw away the mounting strips and channels. Some of mine are broken and missing, and so far I have not been able to locate a source for these.

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
Sounds about right. I also have probably 60-70 pounds of wiring, not sure it that's worth it to ship though. It takes up about half of the bed of my truck lol.

Those are the IV bag holders that bolt into the ceiling, not lights.

I'll get photos and a better inventory tonight or tomorrow

You guys may need to get a little creative with the interior lighting mounts. They are designed to hook into a cut out similar to the exterior lights. You actually just tighten screws which clamp it in place instead of screwing into metal. I think this could be changed around without too much trouble though.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
10-4 on the IV holders. I thought they looked a little familiar, but my mind was focused on lighting so it didn't register.

I know I'll need all of the wiring harness with the plugs that connects to the relay/breaker box and maybe some of the rest, but after we see what shipping is going to cost I'll decide then. If the plugs on the emergency and work lights is different than what I have, I'll need those cables also if you were able to get them. Looking forward to seeing some good pictures of the lights themselves also.

Our ceilings are molded fiberglass with a space above it, so mounting those lights shouldn't be a problem. Although, I'm not looking forward to cutting fiberglass overhead with a jig saw. Might be time to break out the Roto-Zip tool. :)

Man, this is like Christmas in the Spring...waiting to see what presents I got!
snowball.gif

patoz

Expedition Leader
Other than you, Tom and myself, was there anyone else wanting anything? If not, once Tom determines how many interior lights he needs the rest can come to me, along with all of the emergency and work lights.

I found out there are several Freight Companies in Pensacola, but I've never used one and don't know anything about how to ship with them.

Judging by what I see in your pictures, I'm thinking the stuff coming to me can be shipped by UPS Ground in three or four packages as long as one package does not weigh more than 150 lbs. Several smaller packages are cheaper that one or two really big packages. Since they shouldn't be too heavy, the lights and the rear switch panel could be shipped in one or two boxes, depending on size. Then the relay/breaker panel and associated wiring could be split into two packages and shipped.

Here are the UPS requirements:

What are the weight and size limits for shipping using UPS?
UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services. The restrictions below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment. Shipments larger than the limits listed below will require the use of our UPS Freight services.

Packages can be up to 150 lbs (70 kg).
Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined.
Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length.
Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/sri/sze2.html

Alex, since I don't know where you live this is just an educated guess. I heard you mention Massachusetts, so I picked a random zip code of 01199 to get an estimate. A 24"x24"24" box weighing 50 lbs. would cost $82.00 by UPS Ground, and take four days to get to my house. Four boxes that size would be $328.00. The same four boxes, weighing a total of 200 lbs. going by UPS Freight, would cost $368.58. :(

I checked FedEx also, and the same size & weight box would be $66.00 each or $264.00 for four boxes, so it looks like FedEx is the better deal.

I want the lights and rear switch panel for sure. I guess we need to get a weight on the big panel and wiring harness, and go from there. What do you think? Any suggestions from anybody are welcome! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior