Neutral safety switch bypass

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Has anyone here put in a neutral safety switch bypass on a (manual) Fuso? I haven't looked at the schematics yet, wondering how simple it is.

Thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Why would you want to?
Before I turn the key I always check that the shifter is in the neutral gate. If you incorporate a switch, isn't that just adding something else that can go wrong?

pugslyyy

There are times when you want to be able to start in gear, particularly in your crawler gear.

My old Nissan actually had an override (momentary) on the dash.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Why would you want to?
Before I turn the key I always check that the shifter is in the neutral gate. If you incorporate a switch, isn't that just adding something else that can go wrong?

Actually, it would make sense to me to remove something that could go wrong (the existing safety switch).

And I can see the potential need to start in gear. Say, a clutch system failure.

pugslyyy

Actually, it would make sense to me to remove something that could go wrong (the existing safety switch).

I understand the purpose under normal use (stops you from starting in gear and having the truck lurch away unexpectedly) - but it is nice to have an override in case of clutch failure, or in rough terrain where rolling back even a little might be very bad.

I've actually driven trails all day without ever switching off the ignition. Step on the brake (hard) to stop/stall, then bump the starter to get going again without ever touching the clutch.

gait

Explorer
useful for "stall recovery", useful if stalled during water crossing. I haven't tried either in the Canter.

It hadn't occurred to me that there may be a neutral safety switch on my vehicle. Its my ingrained 40+ year habit to always check before starting.

Let us know when you've nutted it out.

Last edited:

jhrodd

Adventurer
The switch is right on top of the transmission on my FG and was bypassed by the PO with a jumper. I almost started it in gear once with the cab tilted, that would have been unfortunate. So I plugged the switch back in, it would be very easy to put a toggle in the cab to bypass the NS switch.

pugslyyy

Yeah, I would want it to be normal active - there's a reason that it's there!

What year is yours?

jhrodd

Adventurer
1991, it also has a handy starter button on the rear cab support. I weighed the truck for the first time yesterday at the local tip, 6600 lbs with 1 person and full of fuel. Not bad for having a dump bed and a very heavy push bumper.

DSCN0332_zps35da7f13.jpg

eMULe

My 1993 also has a starter button on the rear cab support. As I recall it bypasses the transmission neutral switch. Its only accessible with the cab tilted. Did they think mechanics are smarter than drivers? It would be difficult to reach in around the steering column and turn it off without having the front wheel run over your feet. Agree about starting in gear. Was easy and useful in old Willys Jeep with very low gearing. Another momentary switch in the Fuso cab is not an idea I had considered. In these old ones the circuit already exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke