Towing with an aftermarket bumper

vanguard

Adventurer
Friends,

While I'm not about to pull the trigger I do daydream of buying/building a new rear bumper with a hitch receiver built in. On the east coast the expedition options are more limited so it's mostly trail riding out here. I mention that because the depart angle penalty of the hitch matters to me.

Today I have a hitch for the occasional tow but I do more recovery than towing with my rig. What are the forum's opinions on towing with your aftermarket bumper receiver? Is it legal? Is it safe?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Same dilema

vanguard said:
While I'm not about to pull the trigger I do daydream of buying/building a new rear bumper with a hitch receiver built in....

...What are the forum's opinions on towing with your aftermarket bumper receiver? Is it legal? Is it safe?

I have the exact same dilema. I've got access to a great garage with all the tools for this kind of fab work, but I've been struggling with the very same issue. To date I have not built a custom bumper because I do have to tow a trailer. The trailers I tow are not heavily loaded, but I'd rather not take the chance at this point.

mountainpete said:
...I asked a similar question at TTORA last year...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...mpers+to wing

In the end, I have concluded that from a safety standpoint there are no concerns. If the bumper is made properly it is stronger than a hitch. From a legal concern, there is the potential for liability issues if the bumper fails.

Your call...

Pete

Pete,
thanks for posting that again. I had followed that same tread with interest last year for reasons mentioned above. I’ll second what you said, when built properly (i.e. correct material selection and welded by a competent welder) they are as strong if not stronger than a hitch. On the legal end of things, I’d rather have a purchased receiver if there were a failure.
One thing to note with aftermarket bumpers is keep in mind what you are fastening to a frame that is only about 1/16” thick (Tacoma). I’m not sure I fully understand why you would used anything larger than 3/16” for mounting brackets. :confused:
Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles