Expedition to Belize

bernardbarbour

Observer
Belize border crossing in the morning.

Day 14: 2984 miles traveled so far! We are at the border of Belize! We stayed just outside of Chetumal last night, at a great campground called, "Gringo Dave's Last Resort". It is located directly on a lagoon, Laguna de los Milagros (Lagoon of Miracles). The trip from Villahermosa to Chetumal was probably the flattest straightest stretch of road we were on in a long time. There was not much to see, and we were able to maintain 65 mph almost the entire way. Short of a few topes, it was a smooth 7 hour trip.
We wanted to stop back in to see our friend Gringo Dave. We met him when we stayed at his resort in 2012 on one other Mexico trip. We like the location as it is so close to the border of Belize. It makes for a smooth transition in the morning for the crossing. Wow! There were so many updates and new cabanas from the last time we were here. Dave has done some amazing things here. The camping is great, the prices cheap, and the views amazing. The cabanas are literally jutting out over the waters edge. As I write this, Im sitting on a patio suspended over the lagoon in front of one of the palapa roof cabanas. The breezes is refreshing and the sound of water lapping on the shore melodic. In the distance is very tasteful Mexican music playing at a local restaurant. Dave welcomed us back as old friends. After catching up for a while, he invited us to go have dinner at "Mama's". It is a local lady that makes empanadas and many other authentic Mexican meals. She serves right in front porch of her home. We all had our fill, while talking and laughing. The total bill for 5 of us? 147 pesos (about $11.50 us) Dinner was not until after dark. We walked back from the little home based restaurant around 8:30. Though it was dark, and no streetlights, children were playing in the streets, men were playing on the street corner (dominoes), and families were gathered on their front porches. We were greeted openly, "Buenas Noches". Everyone seemed to know Dave as he is a big part of the community. We enjoyed the excellent wifi, and electricity included with our campsite. We set up directly on the lagoon for the best views. Bernard and Tammy had taken the kayak out for a sunset cruise earlier, enjoying the last of the sunshine before it went down. The kayak now was beached right between our tents, ready for the next go around. We got hot showers in one of the cabanas (although there are public showers, Dave offered the use of the cabana we parked next to. All of the amenities one could ask for all for $10 US for the night. You cant beat that! If you are planning a trip to Chetumal for any reason, we highly recommend you check out Dave's place. He has camping for tents, campers, and RV's, along with 5 Super delux cabannas that are all waterfront. Those go for $600 pesos per night (about $47.00 US/night). Or his deluxe units for $300 pesos (about $24/night). We will definitely be back, as it is a great place! www.gringodaveslastresort.com The coordinates are This morning we are headed into Chetumal to do some last minute shopping, picking up supplies before we head over the border. We are excited about the crossing today. We are invited to stop in and see Eric Burson from Inn @ Corozol in Corozol Belize (a member of On the road in Belize). Stay tuned, as our post going forward will now all be from Belize.

bernardbarbour

Observer
Thanks for sharing in our adventure, we made it to Placencia Belize

Day 16: It has been a while since I posted an update. We spent the weekend at Mountain Pine Ridge without internet service. We had a great time! The roads are dusty, rough, and scenic. We were invited to stay with some friends at their cabin, so we took advantage of the offering and the cooler weather. The evenings even got down chilly! We had a campfire for smores, and conversation each night. The wind was steady blowing adding to the chill in the air. We just got to camp within the first couple of hours, and Albert (our friend), said, “let's go swimming in the waterfall”. This sounded exciting, so we all piled into his 4 door Dodge pickup, and my Land Rover. They have several hundred acres of mountaintops, and in the valley lies this gorgeous waterfall. We drove up hills and down to finally reach the last leg of the trail. This is where it is extremely steep. Albert asked if I thought he could get back out if he drove to the bottom. I said, “don't worry, I have the Rover and a winch. If need be, I'll pull you out”. Heading down the steep slope, it was difficult to keep traction, the tires were sliding even while holding the brakes. The nose was pointed straight down the trail. We wound around the sides of the mountains, snaking down to the bottom of the trail, where it finally leveled out. We parked and went down to the water where the fall was splashing down the rocks. The water was icy! Most jumped in and teeth chattering, swam around to try to warm up. I got in up to my knees and waited for my legs to go numb so that I wouldn't feel the cold. I'll swim another day…

After everyone was refreshed, we loaded back up to go back up the mountain. Albert backed up to get a high-speed running start. He made it about 50 yards up when he lost traction. The engine was roaring and then died. He was at such an incline, it as difficult to hold the truck in place. It began skidding a little backwards before he got it stopped. He turned the wheel and let it roll back to a little cut in the side of the mountain where he could stop. We checked the truck out. It was not getting fuel. It seemed the fuel pump had stopped working. After checking logical things like fuses, etc., we decided I would have to pull him out. Now it is one thing to pull someone out of being stuck, and quite another to tow a full-sized dead weight truck up and down such steep slopes that are challenging climbing on my own, let alone with out dragging an additional 6000 lbs! It was a combination of efforts to get him hooked up, winched, snatch strapped, both pulling forward and backwards, before we finally began to make headway. The Rover did amazing, but it was definitely taxed, as we are still loaded down with all of our equipment, spare parts, camping gear, etc. All four tires dug deep into the loose gravel and dirt climbing up the incline. It was exciting, and a sight to see.! Finally, we made it the 3 miles back to the cabin. Not bad having already had our first adventure only hours into our arrival.

The next day we relaxed around the cabin, and roasted more smores. The tents were set up, so we didn't go explore any that day. We did take Alberts 4 wheeler and headed out to find any dead trees we could cut up for fire wood. It was an adventure it self. Albert called a mechanic to come up to work on the truck. Apparently a wire had broken to the fuel pump during the bouncing around on the mountain roads. It was repaired and ready to go.
Sunday, some more of our friends came up to meet us at the cabin. We decided to all go to 1000 foot falls, and Rio On Pools. The trip was effortless over to the falls. What a beautiful sight. We only observed from the lookout, but heard people hike into the falls, because only a portion is visible from the lookout. Well worth the visit. Albert took off and said he would wait at ant turns he made so that we could find Rio Pools. We stayed back to avoid the heavy cloud of dust made by his truck. As we approached the first intersection, there was no sign of Albert. We had no idea where the pools were located. After driving around for a half an hour trying to locate him, we finally looked on the GPS to see if we could find it. The pools were actually listed! We followed the directions until it told me to turn left onto a “road”. This may have been a road by definition, however it was the smallest two track lane, overgrown with trees, I had seen in the area. It had deep ruts where rain had washed the trail away. Normally, I would be skeptical that this was the way, but who am I to argue with the GPS? I mean I have no idea where I am, and besides, this trail looks like fun! We set out for what the GPS said would be 6.9 miles. It took 30 minutes to traverse the uneven, obstacle course of a road. We encountered a gray fox, who looked confused to see a vehicle, as he turned and ran the other way. We finally arrived at the pools after being “lost” for over an hour. No sign of Albert or anybody else. Well we were here now, we might as well enjoy it, besides, we had the watermelon with us that we intended to eat at the pools. Bernard and Tammy had ridden with Albert, so no telling where they were. Adam and Ashley had ridden with us, so we were all split up. We hopped out at the parking lot, amazed at how many people were there. It was Easter Sunday, and apparently this was the place to be. Out in the middle of nowhere, was tour buses, charter vans, and local vehicles. This is the most people, actually the only other people, we have seen while driving around the mountain area. The water was very cool, but enjoyable, and families were everywhere, playing, cooking, and swimming. We stayed for a while, and then loaded back up. As we were pulling out, there was another parking area. Ashley hollered out, “there they are”! We pulled back in and rejoined our group, of course giving Albert a hard time for leaving us behind. We stayed one more night and then packed up Monday morning.

We are heading to Placencia today! The last leg of this trip. It is mixed feelings. Excited to be back in Placencia and out of our vehicles and roof top tents, but sad the journey was ending. The views on the way were spectacular, mountains, jungles, and beaches. The Hummingbird highway was in probably the best condition its been in a while. Normally they fill the potholes with sand that washes out each time it rains, exposing the hole again. This time they actually used black top. The holes were filled, although filled a little excessively causing there to be a bump now instead of a hole, however, much better than in the past. We are back in Placencia now enjoying the breeze off the ocean, and the beach.We traveled a grand total of 3,384 miles from Augusta Georgia to Placencia Belize. We are already planning the next trip to PG, so stay tuned for the next installment of “On The Road In Belize”. From myself, Angela Woodhams, Bernard Barbour, and Tammy Barbour, thanks for following our journey.

It was fun having you along! Please get out there, enjoy Belize and Mexico, and share your pictures, stories, or adventures with us. Remember, its the journey, not the destination. See you On The Road!, Sorry I was unable to upload pictures to the site, but we have many at our blog site. If any of you have questions about our journey we will be glad to share information, and if you are planning to come to Belize we will be here. Cheers

Last edited:

bernardbarbour

Observer
Thanks Christian, I've tried several times to upload pictures but have not been able. I have many posted on our blog and we have a FB page. Thanks

bernardbarbour

Observer
Thanks Wainiha, sorry I had to copy and past most of the story from our blog. We have not had much success getting good enough internet to allow me enough time to write the entire story without getting disconnected. Thanks

bernardbarbour

Observer
017.JPG
019.JPG

We are currently living in Placencia Belize. If there are any overlanders coming this way, look us up. We've also started a FB page " On the road in Belize "

bernardbarbour

Observer
Belize to Panama

We'll be continuing our Expedition on to Panama soon. Stay tuned as we venture through the rest of Central America. You don't want to miss this adventure.
IMAG0926.jpg

bernardbarbour

Observer
This Belizean Life

We've been here in Belize since April. We've seen about all we could of this beautiful country, jungles, ruins, caves, cayes and more. So we'll be pulling up stakes to move further south as we continue our Central American Expedition. Meanwhile enjoy this pics of Belize.
IMAG0801.jpg
073.JPG034.JPG212.JPG
021.JPG
002.JPG
079.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier