Tacoma DCLB vs. Tundra DCLB and Flippac for growing family with bikes and dog

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
New here...but not new to camping in my truck. I am, however, new to camping in my truck with my wife and 2 year old boy. For various reasons a 4x4 truck with a Flippac ticks off the most boxes for us. Background info:

• We like to bike and have a hitch mount rack for the bikes
  • We have a medium size dog who would be kenneled up in the bed of the truck during travel (kennel is a little bigger than an average size cooler
  • I'd like to have a Engel 45 fridge slide out
  • We are both teachers so can be away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time
  • Water storage and sink would be nice
  • Likely be cooking outside the truck most of the time
  • We might end up with a second little one on the way
  • We live on the front range in Colorado and I would also use the truck to drive to work occasionally and carpool with buddies during the week/weekend to the trail head to mountain bike

Here is my question: Will a family of 3-4 with a dog really need the extra space of the 8' Tundra LB? Now that I write all this, I can't see how we could get away with anything smaller than the Tundra LB but it would sure be nice to drive the smaller vehicle if any of you can talk me in to it. What are your experiences? Does working with a smaller space solve other problems I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I think one advantage of the 8' bed is that it opens a lot more options if the time comes where you want an upgrade to a slide in camper. I'm assuming you are referring to new models?

Explorer
Both will work, it's a matter of comfort vs. Off road capability. I lean towards the capality aspect knowing the build has to be more thought out and I'll sacrifice some room to gain access to more places. Tough one...

p nut

butter
I was going to ask a question that 007 was alluding to. What is your off-road capability requirements? I'm assuming if the Tundra is being considered, it is capable enough for what you're looking to do with it.

Personal opinion, from a 2x Tacoma owner, if you're not needing a hardcore wheeling rig, I would go Tundra. More power, more comfort, much more room, more towing capacity, more cargo capacity, and only a bit less MPG. Baby seats in the back (esp rear facing) is a bit tight in the Tacoma DC. Plenty of room in the Tundra. By the way, I would get the Crewmax for more interior room.

If you're not set on Toyota, Ford F150 Ecoboost may be something to look at. Tundra size, Tacoma MPG.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
I think one advantage of the 8' bed is that it opens a lot more options if the time comes where you want an upgrade to a slide in camper. I'm assuming you are referring to new models?

The larger bed does give me more options in the future but a slide in camper won't be one of them. We're considering something '06 and newer.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
My '81 Toyota Pickup was my first baby before our little boy was born...now we need room! We have put the baby seat in my father-in-laws Tacoma DC and it fit fine even with 4 six foot plus adults in all the other seats so I know that cab will work (as will the Tundra DC). Crewmax won't allow for the 8' bed though unless you get a custom conversion.

We access the backcountry on foot or by pedal so we're looking at this rig being more of a base camp. It doesn't need to be a rock crawler but the long wheel base of the Tundra DCLB still has me a bit leery. Compromises everywhere I guess. One time I see the Taco being too small is when it's raining all day and we are stuck inside.

p nut

butter
Do you need a Longbed in the Tundra? If the Longbed in the Tacoma (6') will work, I'd say go for a standard bed in the Tundra (6.5'). Wheelbase is 145" vs 140" in the Tacoma, so not much difference.

austintaco

Explorer
If a Flippac on a bed is the ultimate goal, you can probably pick one up (when they become available) cheaper for the Tundra. The more popular sizes get snatched up quick and drive up the price on the used market.

Do you plan to set up camp at campsites or along mountain passes? If at established campsites, a pop up/casita might be a better option. Leave it loaded up and ready to go, and it will have room for everyone.

I have an 03 DC Tacoma with a flippac. It's just me and my wife, and 2 large dogs, 2 bikes, fridge and gear. That fills up the truck.

One note on bikes. The longer the wheelbase, and overhang behind the axle, bikes mounted on a receiver hitch carrier could scrape over even small climbs.

bkg

Explorer
Personally, having owned 2 Gen-1 Tundras, 2 Gen-2 Tundras and now a Gen-2 Tacoma.... I'd suggest going with a Gen-1 Tundra for what you described as needs. 05 or 06 with the VVT-I and 5-speed auto would be where I'd start looking.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
We have camped out of my 5 foot bed Taco/Flippac at bike races. I have sides like a Dormobile (just built poorly by me) and I place a board across the opening for a bed for my 12 year old. It is fine for the weekend and we could go longer if I could get them to stick to the "everything has a place and everything in it's place" I think a 1st Gen Tundra or a 2nd gen 6' Taco would work for you with a bit of organization. Remember, the Flippac doesn't accept any load on it's roof, that messes some things up for me (kayaks, roof box)

Clutch

<---Pass
Another option is a Sequoia/LC with a RTT.

That whole peeing the morning thing... ;)

Can't stand up and change clothes out of the weather, without deploying another part of the tent system.

Last edited:

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I currently have a 2001 Tacoma DC. If I was in your position I would go with the Tundra. More power, more space, and you don't sacrifice much at all in economy over the Tacoma. I'm not sure how much off road driving you do, but for me, the size of the Tundra would very rarely be an issue. I know for me, most of my driving is done on the hwy getting to my destination, and having the extra power of the V8 would be very welcomed and the deciding factor for me. Fortunately my truck is paid off, so I can't justify buying a new one.

Clutch

<---Pass
Remember, the Flippac doesn't accept any load on it's roof, that messes some things up for me (kayaks, roof box)

You could devise a roof rack that attaches to the sides, hinges/pivots over to allow the flippac to open, use the rack as a support rails for a shade then. Will have a dual purpose accessory. I would do an internal support, so none of the stresses would be on the fiberglass. Kinda involved, but solves the roof rack problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke