Solid human waste disposal/containment?

fishEH

Explorer
Need some ideas for solid human waste disposal/containment. I'm planning a two week expedidtion trip to Utah next year. Many of the areas have a "pack out your solid waste" policy.
I figure I won't be more than 2-3 days from a garbage can at any given time. So I'm looking for waste and odor containment solutions. I do have a Trasharoo but don't want my campsite to smell like an outhouse.

What are you guys doing for solutions?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I used the walmart doodee bags. They worked fine, it was warm, and we used one bag per day and the smell wasn't noticeable outside the privacy tent, and if wasn't bad in the tent. We threw a scoop of dirt on the solids. The PVC pipe ides above seems like a compact and simple solution to contain things for a few days if you are worried about the smell.
Tom

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I know this discussion came up a while back and I believe there is some legal issues about throwing human waste in the garbage? Not sure if I remember correctly???

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I use WAG bags when required. They don't smell of human waste but do have there own unique odor.
Also the nice thing is the chemicals in the bag break down both solid and liquid human waste so it isn't a bio-hazard so it can legally be put in a trash can. Make sure any option you choose is made for this purpose unless you plan on going to a dump station or dumping it all in a toilet.
Darrell

Weeds

Adventurer
We use the Travel John products. The wife uses the urinal at night in the tent even if we are in a campground. The can be purchased at Amazon and boating or sporting good stores.

fishEH

Explorer
Another option I just found on line is a water tight ammo can. It might be more convenient for short term storage. As for legality, I found this link in relation to diapers, but it refers to solid waste rules, it looks like it's ok with the EPA and CA EPA. http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/124241/a_law_against_putting_babys
Tom

Diapers was my first thought when the legality issue was brought up. I have 3 kids and every single one of their diapers ended up in the trash. We also hsve this little travel potty for thr car that we had them use on long road trips and all those bags ended up in the trash. I'm sure throwing away the whole PVC tube isn't the most eco-friendly move but I don't envision myself saving and cleaning it.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
If you go with the PVC or ammo can, I would line it with a trash bag, then dispose of the bag. Most of the laws I've found on the matter are local and they say " raw human waste" , as long as it's bagged, and treated with the chemicals that come with those bags, then it appears that they should be ok to go In the
trash.
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94