FG84 Camper Build

Maninga

Adventurer
Looks good!

Don't cheap out using low grade components on the interior.

Thanks, I'm really happy with progress and how it's turning out. It's taken a bit longer than expected, but you get that sometimes.

Still creating my electrical parts wishlist. Some parts have been ordered, more thought will go into it over the next couple of weeks.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
All part of the fun.

One thing I can recommend - before you get into any electrical stuff, get a copy of the Calder book.

Maninga

Adventurer
More stuff happening with the build. Storage hatch doors are in, roof side panels have been started, top is still to be made. They're going to be working on it right up until Christmas Day then start back on 5th jan.

image.jpg

Not sure about the checker plate at the back, that may need to be painted, but the rest is looking good.

image.jpg

Window yet to be installed

Last edited:

Maninga

Adventurer
+1 I used ancor tinned marine wire and Blue Sea marine breaker panels in our build. Good stuff, much better than the Chinese lamp cord most RV
s use. Defender has pretty good deals on the wire.

View attachment 260859

Will keep them in mind when ordering parts. Lot cheaper for most stuff in the US, with the other items going in no desire to use crap gear. Might be a little while before I get to finish the build though, buying a house that needs some work. Learning

Looking good Joe! what actuators are you using to lift the roof?

From these guys. http://www.lifteasy.com IP66 rated for 300kg. No potentiometer but has a controller that'll manually adjust lift rates to give an even lift.

Maninga

Adventurer
Some new photos have come through.

Truck rear.jpg

Truck front.jpg

Linear actuators are being installed. There was a problem with one of the actuators, it didn't work during testing, so spares have been sent up for them to install. Bed base is next to be installed and the front door. Sure there's a multitude of small things left after that, but expect it'll be all done/ready in 2 1/2 weeks time when I pick it up

Maninga

Adventurer
Pickup confirmed for the 22nd Jan. Flying up in the morning with Heather, plan to spend several hours going over the build with Styromax and slowly meander home over the course of 4 days. It's going to be an adjustment driving it, haven't driven something this big for that long before. Shouldn't be too bad.

Something that's been in my mind for a while though is insurance. Talked with a number of companies about both motorhome and commercial insurance. Motorhome, the majority won't insure during construction or because it's a self build. Commercial, they either weren't interested in me, or too much money.

Ended up getting it through Ken Tame. They allow motorhomes under construction (I just sent them the plans and build photos to date) and you have 1 year to finish the build. For the valuation, I just sent receipts (they're insuring based on value put into the truck to date) and they've requested a valuation once it's completed. Found it's a good option for self builders here. Their only requirement for use is a CMCA subscription. Insurance cost was < 1% of value put in sofar, the total premium was less than my WRX renewal last year.

Joe

Maninga

Adventurer
Best bet would be talk with Steve at Styromax about it.

I think for the panels to be made up ready for a DIY build where you put it together yourself, it's around 15k. They'll do flatpacks and ship them anywhere if you want to build it, and to your own design.

With mine though, they built the subframe, tyre carrier, put it together, added windows, custom door, bed base, hatches, custom trim (had them try and keep inside/outside as thermally broken as possible) and installed actuators. That added a bit more.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
We use Ken Tame too, it cost less to insure the truck with the camper on the back with them than what we were paying RACQ for just the bare truck.

blackduck

Explorer
We use Ken Tame too, it cost less to insure the truck with the camper on the back with them than what we were paying RACQ for just the bare truck.

thats because you average insurance company regards it as a commercial vehicle
it will face high risk from its many hours on the road
when i explained its a private vehicle the computer didnt understand
So im with ken tame aswell
being in the CMCA isnt that bad, they have a good support base
and so long as you dont mind being in bed by 7 theyre a good crowd :) (thats a joke by the way)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94