Antenna/Roof rack

unseenone

Explorer
Never seen one of those installed on anything. Keep in mind it's NVIS so it would not do you a lot of good for DX. You can do quite well with an ATAS120a and only need one antenna. What vehicle are you planning on mounting it on?

robgendreau

Explorer
I saw a reference to one of those somewhere else, and found this at 4x4ham:

http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php?1735-HF-Mobile-Magnetic-Loop-Antenna-(Part-1)

I kinda stopped reading when I saw the price ($5k) and the fellow's comment about RF exposure inside. I get the impression these are for professional use and not mere mortals. The link above does mention some DIY NVIS antennas. I was thinking of getting the same radio, but I am thinking more of a Buddipole or something. But I still use mostly just 2M in the vehicle. But I'd think even if you got a roof rack antenna you'd want something that could be used off the vehicle since in a wreck the rack might be shot. Ditto for the ATA. But if you can afford the 9400 you can afford backups galore.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Have you priced that antenna? $5K and its only covers 20-10m... No 40 or 80m. Takes the entire roof and is not designed to use while in motion. Its mainly a point to point antenna. Its going to be a PIA to interface to most ham gear as its designed to be used with Barrett commercial HF radios. A high end screwdriver antenna would be a good option but is not roof mounted.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Go read K0BG's web page. Then install a Breedlove mount. Then ham sticks or a 102" whip on the trail or a screwdriver elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rambrush

Adventurer
How bout I 3rd Breedlove Mounts? I
have one on the side of the truck with his aluminum plates and that is rock steady. Had the screwdriver mounted on it.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I went with a twin fire stick combo from RS for my own setup and mounted them on gutter mount clamps. No problems so far. I pick up signals over 2 miles away in city and more in open terrain. The clamps were $4 apiece on Ebay. I did have to modify (read bend) them to get them to work with my antenna, but I can't complain with the results.
attachment.php

This was designed more for a big rig, but I like how it turned out.
The only downside is my clearance is now at 9' 2" which is 2 inches taller than the local drive through!

attachment.php

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Gutter mounts will rip off when fighting trees and other solid, immovable objects. Definitely for safety and security drill a hole. No reason not to.

From a pure physics standpoint that antennas stick is half an antenna. Where is the other half? It's the vehicle. Need to have a strong electrical connection which that gutter mount does not have. Might see a huge improvement at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I agree with you about getting them ripped off by a tree. I plan on getting a better mount soon with springs.

As for grounding, it looks to me as if the setup wasdesigned to insulate the antenna from tthe rest. I do agree that the mount needs grounded, but not because my rig acts as part of the antenna.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I agree with you about getting them ripped off by a tree. I plan on getting a better mount soon with springs.

As for grounding, it looks to me as if the setup wasdesigned to insulate the antenna from tthe rest. I do agree that the mount needs grounded, but not because my rig acts as part of the antenna.

Ok here is a set-up to consider looking at your truck. Looks like that Bronco has a wide spot on the front quarter panels. So put in an NMO mount on the Driver's side and then use a Larsen NMO27B. Run the coax through a grommet on the driver's side and connect to the CB. It'll be nearly invisible inside the rig.

Why this set-up?

It's a base loaded antenna. The whip can hit things and, if you install the mount correctly, that thing will never break. No need for a spring. That NMO mount is water proof and nearly indestructible if installed right. Given how low the coil is on the rig it will not get abused unless you are in a heavy brush environment or *God forbid* roll it.

That will solve the grounding issue and everything nicely. Also give you a workable ground plane. Plus if you are a ham (or become one) probably could use the same antenna for your 10m rig.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Ok here is a set-up to consider looking at your truck. Looks like that Bronco has a wide spot on the front quarter panels. So put in an NMO mount on the Driver's side and then use a Larsen NMO27B. Run the coax through a grommet on the driver's side and connect to the CB. It'll be nearly invisible inside the rig.

Why this set-up?

It's a base loaded antenna. The whip can hit things and, if you install the mount correctly, that thing will never break. No need for a spring. That NMO mount is water proof and nearly indestructible if installed right. Given how low the coil is on the rig it will not get abused unless you are in a heavy brush environment or *God forbid* roll it.

That will solve the grounding issue and everything nicely. Also give you a workable ground plane. Plus if you are a ham (or become one) probably could use the same antenna for your 10m rig.

I'm not a big fan of drilling into body work. Instead I've decided to go with a set of brackets and springs that mount the antenna at the sides of the hood, between the hood and quarter panels. If that doesn't work out, I've got a few other ideas to try.

I doubt I'll be going with anything other than CB for a while so what I've got will work fine for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz