(SOLD) 1993 FZJ-80 lifted, locked, ARB in Colorado Springs, 267k and counting

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
VEHICLE IS SOLD

First things first, this vehicle will not be available until the end of April. I am currently in Germany (military) and my wife continues to use it for DD until she/kids leave to join me here. I'm asking $6000 OBO.

1993 FZJ-80 with factory lockers. I bought the vehicle in late 2009 at 200k miles. I used it as my DD for three years and then it became a third vehicle for us. In that time I've put over 67,000 miles on it. I love the truck and would keep it were I staying CONUS. I did not keep a detailed activity/mileage log of when/what services I did so the updates below are estimates. Military only pays for one vehicle to ship overseas so, we shipped my wife's GX. There is a punch list of "needs" for the truck that I simply ran out of time to address in the flurry of activity before I left for Germany

IMG_9313_zps1bec4e8e.jpg

IMG_2192_zpsb80b3602.jpg

the big stuff and some maintenance notes (from memory):
- factory lockers, note that the rear locker is not engaging, and will require a troubleshoot (good write up on Mud for this, I ran out of time to get to it before I left CONUS)
- came with a lift, OME 2.5", I THINK I recall seeing an "850" sticker on the rear springs, you can inspect for yourself, suspension is firm and worked great to carry family of four plus gear plus my RTT all over Colorado
- 5 x Duratrac 285/75/16 in very good shape, I did a 5-tire rotation with each oil change, I'd guess the whole set is in the 10k range now, purchased new in 2012 at Discount Tire in Denver
- PHH was bypassed (by me) with the ACC kit, I kept the rear heater option because I have kids and wanted the heat back there
- ARB winch bumper (no winch)
- the "sliders" you see in the pic are bolt-ons, so think of them more as "steps"
- refinished factory wheels (by me), all 5 there
- I serviced the birfs in 2012 so, maybe 10k miles ago (CDan parts)
- new front rotors/pads about 12k miles ago (CDan parts)
- replaced rear pads about 5k miles ago (Cdan parts)
- I repacked the front wheel bearings maybe 5k miles ago
- I change my oil/rotate tires every 5000 miles
- I baselined all other fluids 15k miles ago, including a new transmission filter (CDan parts)
- I replaced the radiator, hoses, accy belts about 15k miles ago (CDan parts)
- I rebuilt the PS pump in 2010, it has since developed a bearing whine and will need some diagnosis/service, not home to deal with it anymore
- I had two new catalytic converters installed about 20k miles ago
- full cap/rotor/plugs about 15k ago (CDan parts)
- VCG, plug seals and removed/cleaned throttle body about 20k ago (CDan parts)
- replaced distributor seal about 10k ago (Toyota part)
- I replaced the rear hatch struts and put a 60-series hood prop rod in the front
- new starter in 2011
- new battery in 2012
- I replaced the PO's stereo with a Kenwood single-din and Ipod controller, sounds decent, power antenna works
- I installed a Land Rover cup holder
- I removed an refinished the tow hitch (had surface rust all over it and the bolts were seized in the frame, all since remedied)

cosmetic:
- champagne/beige exterior over brown leather interior
- cosmetically the truck is in fair condition, this was a utility vehicle for me and I never intended for it to be perfect, that said, I think most of the pinstriping on the sides would cut/polish out, the hood however, is fading and has many rock chips on the leading edge, best option is probably to find a color matched replacement at salvage
- dash/dash pad are in good shape but it's missing the clam-shell for the steering column, the one it came with was rattling so I took it off and hadn't yet found a suitable replacement
- front seats are toast (currently covered in Tuff Ducks seat covers, along with the console cover), rear and 3rd row seats in good shape
- hot heat/cold A/C

What's wrong with it:
- CEL, I'm assuming it's EGR related (last time I pulled code on it), but it's been on for awhile and I have not re-checked
- windows are slow as hell in the cold (common to 80-series)
- PS seat stopped moving (power), I pulled it and re-seated the little which plastic bit that sits at the end of the drive gear, set the seat to a good position (under its own power), and haven't moved it since because I'm not sure if that was a permanent fix.. ten minute job, I just never tackled it
- rear-lock not engaging
- crack in the windshield along the lower 1/4 (basically aligned with the wipers), common issue in CO (I've cracked a windshield on every car I own here), so did not fix it, quote to fix was around 280 from Abra auto glass
- PS pump bearing noise
- steering column clam shell missing

THERE MAY BE OTHER RELEVANT MATERIAL, GOOD AND BAD, RELATED TO THIS VEHICLE. I HAVEN'T BEEN HOME SINCE FEBRUARY AND WORKING OFF MEMORY TO PROVIDE AS MUCH INFO AS I CAN.

I encourage you to check it out if you have questions/interest. It's been a fantastic vehicle for me, and I had plans to really attack it this summer but big Army had other plans for me. It is not perfect, but it is well maintained and very capable. Proverbial "would drive it anywhere" relationship for me, but, it does have some odds/ends that need policing up, and if you're looking for cosmetic perfection, this is not your ride.

Last edited:

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
- also replaced the air filter with Toyota factory (washable) unit in 2012
- the RTT was sold in late 2013
- the 72" Yakima bars (4 ea with 1A towers) are on C-Springs CL if you want to look for them separately

600200_4270714495897_1277844778_n_zps986fe48e.jpg

148615_10200209881599540_137132305_n_zps01d7bab5.jpg

480015_4454313605760_49129588_n_zps647c6361.jpg

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
450+ views, no messages... periodic bump TTT

thoughts, opionions, feedback...?

I am fequently out of the office so, best contact info is dkaley at hotmail dot com (goes to my phone)

cheers

fowldarr

Explorer
It's a nice vehicle, I always appreciate an accurate description of what is wrong, I'm just not in the market right now.

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
I also repaired the dent visible in the rear tailgate in the pictures above, at the same time I swapped in a (color matched from salvage) upper tailgate because the last one had some rust around the window frame and a nonfunctioning wiper... much better shape and it provided the little wind/spoiler, which I didn't previously have..

tmleadr03

Observer
Vehicle checked out, deposit made.

I swear this thing is going to kill my finances. Not because it is bad condition, but because I am now reading up on all the stuff I am now "needing" for it. Sigh. And I though a BMW was expensive.

This forum is free, but costs me money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior