Soft top wind noise

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
No it doesnt whistle its just the general wind noise from the top of wind shield where the soft top connects to the windshield i have the soft top chanel really tight, so is there anything i can do ive had 3 jeeps and they have all sounded different

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Um its a soft top. Take a ride in a Cj then a Ty then a Tj and you will love you quiet Jk soft top.

Just saying.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I know that its a soft top. And ive had a 88 yj with a hard top and it was even loud. I was just wondering if there was a way to minimize it. I have had 2 TJs and 2 YJ and they all sounded different.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Bestop makes sound mats that strap on under the soft top to help silence it a bit. They call them Bestop® Headliner.

Septu

Explorer
I had just read somewhere (JKF?) that someone had put a small foamie between their spider sun shade and the soft top and that it made a huge difference.

wADVr

Adventurer
I have a wind noise right above the windshield. Thought about taping the windshield to top gap to see if it lessened then go from there. Otherwise mine is pretty quite.

Jack_Wagon

Check your header bar on the soft top. It could be bowed. I am currently going through this and have purchased a newer style header bar that is metal instead of plastic. If your header bar is not bowed in the middle, you'll be able to tell by looking from the front of the Jeep, then check the moulding and make sure the top is sealed correctly.

Espo78

Adventurer
I had horrible wind noise from the header bar, it was so bad that I could not hear the radio with the volume almost all the way up while on the highway. I had to turn a 2 hour trip home into a 4 hour trip on backroads due to the noise.

This is how I fixed it.

I dismounted the top off the Jeep, layed it upside down on the floor of my garage and removed the outer screws on the header. then you can flip the header over and reveal the rest of the screws. I had found that many of mine were loose and one was actually missing. Once I got everything tightened up again my Jeep was very quiet. Hope that helps. I thought I was going to have to replace the header but it was just that everything was loose. Jeep is an 07 and I assume it had the original top on it when I bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles