Moab, Telluride, Ouray, Vail, Crested Butte all in one trip. A flatlanders journey

Finally getting around to posting a trip report about my trip to the Colorado high country and Moab last summer. Seeing as it has been so long some of the finer details have been forgotten, and I have struggled a bit to remember even our exact route, but I hope that you all will at least enjoy the pictures I took! There are a lot of them...

We departed Marquette MI and spent a night in Chicago visiting my parents before hauling out to Denver. We rented a hotel, which I ended up finding too gross to stay in (there were bugs in the bed, for real) so we ended up staying with an old friend of mine and getting the bar scene tour. The next day we spent some time trying to come up with parts to fix my sway bar as I figured one would be nice for driving the twisty roads.

Once I had spent two hours driving around Denver and getting nowhere on the sway bar problem, we set off towards Buena Vista. Up to this point I had a general idea what trails and route I wanted to run, but somewhere near Fairplay we stopped for gas and I picked up “Guide to Colorado Back Roads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails”. Long story short, after sitting around and reading this book for an hour, I basically re-planned the entire trip in a parking lot in Fairplay

BUY THIS BOOK if you want to drive off road in Colorado!!

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails-Edition/dp/1934838047

So new route plannedwe headed towards Buena Vista to drive up Mt. Princeton, which looked like it would be a good introduction to driving shelf roads. We arrived in the pouring rain and started on up.

The pucker factor was high once the thunder started when we neared the top and saw the steep drop off’s and narrow road. For a first timer it was unnerving.

The view from the to was under-whelming due to the heavy rain and my un-willingness to leave the car, so we headed down and went to set up camp on Grizzly Lake.

On the first day of the trip would turn out to be the only time I would use my winch for self recovery on any of the trails mentioned in the guide, as my tired self couldn’t make it up the ledge immediately out of a stream in the rain, there was just too much water and mud. I also managed to back into a tree due to wet brakes and dent up my tailgate, first ever bent sheet metal in 5 years of hard wheeling.

This was an awesome campsite! The pictures of it have been lost though. We woke up the next day and ran the Iron Chest Mine trail, this was a lot of fun.

From there we headed down Tin Cup Pass and stopped to explore St Elmo. We camped on Mirror Lake.

The next day we finally broke out of the rain for the first time

Headed up Taylor Pass

Camped somewhere, My memory of exactly which trail I took here eludes me, but we came upon this situation on our way in.

A guy had manage to take a brand new Dodge Ram down this trail, then turned around, slashing 3 tires in the process, amongst a bunch of other body damage. When we pulled up he had no hopes of getting out, and was surrounded by guys on quads. We figured his only shot was if we helped him, so we re-arranged, and took him and some tires to Aspen to get that sorted.

The poor runner was struggling at this altitude with all the weight.

Top of Taylor

Got to Aspen, found the only tire shop was like 20 miles away, get there and his rims are cracked and ruined, but they manage to get tires on, and back up Taylor pass we go.

We get his truck back together and begin the ordeal of walking him through the trail, it went quicker than expected.

Top of Taylor

Thats me! Pretty stoked we got this guy out of the impossible spot he was in. It took us all day, but he was so greatful and I hope at least it gave him and his son something to remember forever.

He gave us a few dollars for our troubles, so we being responsible young people decided to go out in Aspen.
WOW, the scenery at night in Aspen is top notch, if you know what I mean. We got lots of funny looks as we are quite obviously NOT Aspen material. Anyways $100 or so later, we had a beer each (seriously it was $9 for rail whiskey coke Those are $3 here).

We camped somewhere up Pearl pass.

The drive up was slow as we were both slightly (very) over hung from the night before

Pear was probably my favorite views of the trip. Just gorgeous!

Snowball fight!! this was in mid July

On the way into Crested Butte I suffed a roof rack failure, which took a big chunk out of my roof

We camped back in Brush creek after some exploring around CB.

We found a camp site partner who was doing ecological surveys for her Masters dissertation (or something like that) She knew all of the flora and fauna in the area and was fascinating to talk to.

After that we headed up past Gothic through Schofield pass on Paradise Divide. We took the Devils Punch Bowl and headed up to the Crystal mill.

Here a guy in front of me just… drove off the trail and hit a tree on his front fender. I used the winch and snatch block to pull him back onto the trail and try and avoid further damage, otherwise he would have ripped a lot of sheet metal. He was in town for heart surgery with his best friend, and they were out cruising trails they knew as kids.

From here we headed up to Ouray

Camped up in a pay site on the way to Yankee Boy Basin.

We did the Alpine loop here, and Poughkeepsie Gulch among other trails.

Hardest (far left) line on Poughkeepsie I walked up it (bragging just a little bit, but seriously, not bad for a flatlander)

It was scary steep

Coming down something further up the trail

Andy jumping into Lake Como

Should have used Loctite

Camped in the same pay site again.

Woke up and headed for Imogene Pass

This is also seen heading up Governor and Yankee Boy Basin

Peeing off the edge of the world, a theme for the trip

Last edited:

One of the first grey days of the trip. No rain though!

This despite all apperances is NOT an outhouse, no matter how bad you have to poop, and how fast you run in loafers up the hill

Imogene!

Ruins towards the bottom of Imogene

Black Bear as seen from Imogene

Once in Telluride, we high tailed it over to Ophir so we could spin around an hit Black Bear which was one of my must see's for the trip. We also wanted to get to Moab that day

One shot on the racee up Ophir

Black bear is hyped up all over, and its worth the hype! Probably one of the must ‘puckering' descents on the trip. You could get in real trouble there. Nothinig super technical, just heights, and sheer drop offs. My fear of heights didn't help me too much here, but days of driving shelf roads and ledges had really numbed me to a lot of it.

Start of the scariest part, look how steep!

Those jeeps are maybe 100 or 200 feet below me

6 point turn

Bridal Veil falls

After that it was on to Utah!

This pretty much described all the driving I did on the trip

We rolled in late, and found my friend who worked at Arches park, we stayed the night with her, and had a good time. The next day we went out to do some wheeling.

You know how everyone says Moab is hot in July? Well they're right, very right. It was SO HOT.

But the slick rock is awesome, you can do amazing things, so much fun to drive on smooth rock after miles of rocky Colorado roads.

Colorado River

Scaring girls, always a good time right? She was a good sport. Though she said she'll never go off-roading again.

One of my favorite pictures

The next day we took it easy in the heat and explored Arches. Then we went and visited a local swimming hole, and got ice cream. In the evening we went over to Canyonlands par, which is close by. I HIGHLY recommend it. The views were phenominal and it wasn't nearly as crowded as Arches.

I really really wish I had had a second vehicle in Moab, there was some crazy stuff I wanted to try but due to the remotness, and the heat I refrained, because breaking something 25 miles from town on 110 degree and sunny weather would have been very serious.

I will be going back to Moab and hitting some of the cooler trails, and exploring more of the parks.

The next morning we turned back for Colorado. We were to get to the Vail area and stay with my friend in Gypsum, he said there was a trail that he didn't think I could do. Of course I said ‘bring it'

Poor choice……….

A few hours after arriving I had myself securly lodged between a few very large rocks. Winching my way through and trying to get up the trail to turn around.

Passenger spirits were high, they seemed to enjoy my struggles..

Then it started to rain…..

Moral dropped significantly, as I suffered my second sheet metal bender of the trip backing into a rock, then having to slide my rear bumper over a really big vboulder. Cracked tail light, crunched a small bit of sheet metal below it, and smashed in both sides of my rear bumper. Oh well, guess I need a new tire carrier now!

A lot of winching, rock stacking and digging later, we were very wet, and on the way home. My tail was lodged firmly between my legs, and I had some new dents to show for the lesson.

The rock that would claim my bumper…

Really I don't regret it, it was a blast, and toys are meant to be used!

Our drive back was uneventful, and tired we rolled into town and started unwinding.

This was a great trip, hope you enjoyed the pictures, and if you have any questions about my route or anything else, just post them up!

digitaldelay

Explorer
Wow, looks like you hit every pass in CO! Some of them I hadn't heard of before. Are they all in the same general area? Do they all connect to one another?

Jason

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice to see you got out this way. You are brave going to Moab in July man. Looks like your rig suffered some serious wear and tear on the trip. If you get back out here let me know. Hoping to get back to Marquette by early summer, if it ever arrives there.

pmatusov

AK6PM
Great trip!
That left line on Poughkeepsie claimed my right front fender in 2001... The dent's still there.

Tmacphee

Great rip report, looks like a blast. Can't wait to get out there in a few years. What size tire are you running and and are you locked? thx

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Great trip write up and pictures. You are a great person for helping out 2 total strangers, especially the guy needing new tires.

I may have missed it, but what happened to your bumper as mentioned in the last pic?

meatblanket

Adventurer
You got guts man, very impressive, especially so far from home. That last trail.... was that Holy Cross or Billings?

Wow, looks like you hit every pass in CO! Some of them I hadn't heard of before. Are they all in the same general area? Do they all connect to one another?

Jason

They are all in the same area of the state, I did surprisingly little road driving to connect them all, and what relatively little I did was a welcome respite. The book I recommended has a fantastic map to help piece together a route.

Nice to see you got out this way. You are brave going to Moab in July man. Looks like your rig suffered some serious wear and tear on the trip. If you get back out here let me know. Hoping to get back to Marquette by early summer, if it ever arrives there.

Id say more stupid than brave, I was figuring "how bad could it be" And yes I did suffer some wear and tear, but really I'd rather deal with the its either broken, or not mentality that driving on rocks gives you than the general destruction that driving through water and mud in the UP delivers.

Great rip report, looks like a blast. Can't wait to get out there in a few years. What size tire are you running and and are you locked? thx

Do it! If I could change anything I might have gone in the fall to try and get the fall colors, but then I'd have had cold to deal with, and most likely more rain. 285/75/16's or about a 33. Rear locker.

Great trip write up and pictures. You are a great person for helping out 2 total strangers, especially the guy needing new tires.

I may have missed it, but what happened to your bumper as mentioned in the last pic?

I dragged it over a rock and bent in the wings on both sides. It actually isn't too noticeable to a passerby, but its a very sizable dent.

mph

Expedition Leader
Great travels...Looks like your 4runner did a stellar job in taking you to some pretty awesome places. CB in the summer? One of the best places...

Rdy2offrd88

Observer
Some awesome pictures you have sir. Looking to do a similar trip in the next year or two. Mind me asking how long the trip took you total?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier