Gwagen - Easy to Remove Storage & Security System

Motto

My wife owns a W460 G LWB. My dad and I intended to fabricate a storage security system that is actually organizing our cargo space as well. Then we had two projects together. First, to build a cargo organizer that will actually cover the windows of the trunk. Then fabricate a cargo barrier behind the rear seat.
We had a few goals when we planned the cargo organizer.
Eliminate Rattling joints.
Have light but strong enough for holding 2 people.(in case of sleeping on it)
Tool boxes should be portable but part of the system. ( without drawer)
We have to be able to remove storage system if needed without any tools with ease.
Fabricated permanent exectrical box should not interfere while removing the system.

We did not intend to build a drawer sytem. To have storage boxes that we can carry around is a better option since we often like camping away from our vehicle even thought we have a Roof Top Tent.

Fridge is not in our consideration at the moment for personal reasons.

We covered closedcell foam padding on top which dampened the noise of rear end. Bottom part got commercial grade thin nonslip rubber.

I helped my dad a bit but my designed the most of it and he fabricated the whole project when I was not around. He did not drill any holes. He bolted on jump seats holes, 3 on each side, and used driver seats bolts. Fabricated a couple of pieces allowing us to attach nuts behind rivet holes around the door. But without removing the nuts, we can remove the top panel and its holders and the other things and have a clean trunk, except electrical box due to wiring. So all the parts that should be removed are interlocking with groves.

We had a test drive and no rattle. All joints are snug. Removed them with ease. No disappointment for us.

Motto

First tinting the windows that will be secured.
Pmc1Yy82XvuJBpUeGQtLZD8XhDspYhOaHG83yB415B0=w753-h565-no

It is %5
002.JPG

Side panels that will cover the windows
004.jpg

These metal pieces helped to hold wheel well panels straight up.
005.5.JPG

it does not go anywhere
005.6.JPG

flash makes it look like painted by brush. It does not look like that in daylight. Anyways, it is oil based can primer and paint.
005.7.JPG

preparing to install
005.JPG

This side will get batteries and electrical panel will be on top close to the headliner.
006.JPG

Motto

this side will face windows and these will allow us to eliminate to use nuts.
007.JPG

008.JPG

easy to remove
009.JPG

it is coming together
010.JPG

This is the top panel. These two grooves will hold the wheel well panels.
011.JPG

this is driver side wheel well pocket. has locking lid. and its not easy to see from top.
012.5.JPG

two edges have aluminum molding for protection.
012.JPG

These metal parts are supporting window panels. Prevents them from vibrating. They will also help to hold security barrier too.
013.JPG

Lid is not easy to see for bad guys. But We ll leave the lid open when we are crossing the borders.
014.jpg

inside has rubber liner too.
015.jpg

Motto

15.5.JPG

electrical panel is being installed. on top of tool boxes. There is enough clearance to allow tool boxes to come outside.
016.JPG

We ll install cell phone booster so I can see when the signal is available. All the other relays, fuse boxes, inverter and cut off switches will be inside.
16.5.JPG

017.JPG

Truly strong set up. We cant wait to learn if it will rattle.
018.5.JPG

Tool boxes are covering the battery storage. and when you lift and pull they easily slide out on top of aluminum molding. But they are heavy since they carry tool so I Don't think they can come out by vibration.
018.JPG

Booster is installed. Tool boxes are fitting snug.
019.jpg

020.JPG

Thinks we learned for the future projects. Do not use cheap plywood from home depot. It does not look too bad since the most of the panels are covered are padded. But It would have a better finish overall if we could use proper plywood.

Measurements and cuts are not that hard when you use mold out of cardboard.

SOO next is ....Cargo Security Barrier.

Motto

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz