HAM antenna mount question on a JK.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I have a CB antenna currently mounted on my JK using the CoolTech Ultramount which mounts the antenna above/through the rear license plate bracket. I really like this setup and think it looks great, it also worked quite well this last weekend on a group trip using my Cobra 75 and a 4' Firestick. I have been able to get the SWR down to 2.2:1 on both channel 1 and 40 on my CB. What I am wondering is whether I can put a ham antenna on that mount and relocate my CB. I just got my ticket and at the moment only have an HT so I really don't know what type of connections are needed for mobile ham or if this would even work.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

The antenna attaches from a threaded post.
JKantnProd04_640x480.jpg

Another pic of everything installed.
CloseUp_575x479.jpg

unseenone

Explorer
That's real nice, I which they had a similar option for a Land Rover LR3. I don't see why not.. --- What about their gate mount kit?

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Assuming you mean VHF/UHF, as long as it has a firm ground, it should be OK, though you'll have a heck of a signal lobe. Short range will be OK. I would worry about the antenna hitting the side of the Jeep though, as most ham antennas are flexible (except HamSticks, of course).

ZMagic97

Explorer
Could you do a mount on the spare tire mount? I can;t remember how much room the stock ones have.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
That mount could work fine, but if it were me (and it's not.....) I would mount the ham antenna to the front fender/hood. I am not a fan of spare tire mounts for antenna as the mounts do not make a good ground connection with the rest of the body resulting in a poor ground plane.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
This is a picture of my rig. The CB antenna does bang on the hard top while I'm on bumpy terrain but I've put on a racquetball to help protect the top and the antenna which has seemed to work well.

wQlLdSal.jpg

I'd like to stay away from a spare tire mount which is why I initially went with the mount I did. The reason I have asked about putting a ham antenna on this mount is because I don't always run around with my antenna mounted. It is on a quick release and while I'm daily driving I don't have it attached, it would hit my garage door and in the parking garage at work were it to always be on.

I had been considering a cowl mount but again, I'd like whatever I use to be removable and look fairly stealthy when the antenna isn't mounted if that makes sense.

Are there standard ham antennas that have threaded ends that could just be screwed onto this cooltech mount?

Pinelogcreek

Observer
I am the same boat with my JKU, I saw one picture that used a metal plate under one of the hard top bolts with the antenna on the inside. Theoretically the antenna does not see the fiberglass top and it is more discreet. On the plus side it's left on all the time, on the negative the antenna length is obliviously limited. I am going to follow to see how this thread goes.

KK4ZTH

prerunner1982

Adventurer
A buddy of mine has a 19" mag mount on the inside of his TJ on top of the rear fender and has had surprisingly good results.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Hustler has a 2m coil that goes on their 3/8x24 x 54" rod. Long vert would be 6m coil is 2 m or swap in an 11m coil if they still make one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlennA

Adventurer
Have you considered mounting the ham antenna to the windshield hinge? Similar to the lights mounted to the windshield hinge. A simple "L" bracket for an NMO mount would do the job well. Although not the best location, it allows you to keeo the CB antenna.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Since posting this up in March I bought a mag mount Larson combo antenna that is dual band and will broadcast up to 50 watts. To date I've only used it once when I connected it to my Baofeng UV-5R for a Ultra Marathon I was helping with. Currently I have the magnet base stuck to the bottom of my hood and will leave it there until the next trail run or trip outing. I don't anticipate ever really using ham day to day as I'm in my rig. For me its more for trip comms.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a 24" Wilson mounted on my 3rd brake light. the top of the antenna is about 3 inches over the top of the jeep, I plan on mounting another like it for when I get my ham setup on the other side of the light mount. These antennas do NOT bend, so they would not hit together or anything like that and they are well protected from trail hazards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles