What's next?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looking for what's next... for me?

I have been riding since 1990... some road but mostly MTB. I started with a steel fully rigid trek and have run the gamut from there to front susp, to full susp, back to hardtail, to now singlespeed. Currently riding a steel frame On One Summer Season, steel frame, set up for single speed, with a Fox Float 140 on front.

In a bit of the doldrums riding wise and just wondering if you had opinions on what might get me going strong again. I have a few options, I think:
26" full sus
29" hardtail
custom or semi custom Ti frame
2x10 gearing
1x10 gearing
29" full susp

There may be others...

Or am I just being silly? I ride regularly. Mostly tight singletrack, with travels to fast and swoopy "imba style" flow, along with the every now and then "big ride". I am a basic trail rider, not a racer, not fast, don't catch big air, enjoy being in the woods and have fun on fun trails. I have moved past enjoying the "death ride" and don't mind that I sometimes choose to walk a section that earlier in my biking life I would have challenged and crashed and hurt...

So what say you? Stop my search and ride, get the latest and greatest (can you define that?) or perhaps search for an upgrade for my current super tough steel steed?bike rack 2.jpg

Ramble ramble....

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There's so much to chose from. Over the course of 25 years I've ridden and raced everything from a time trial bike to a long travel DH rig. The bulk of the last ten years have been on a singlespeed, although I've now put gears on my current titanium 29er hardtail.

As my ride preference change, so too do my bikes. I've been riding more desert chunk as of late and think a full suspension bike is in my future. Maybe a Salsa Horsethief or Spearfish.

Navman

Adventurer
Do yourself a favor and test ride a new 120-140mm travel full-suspension 29er with 1x11 XO1 gearing, preferably with a Pike fork. It's amazing how capable and efficient these bikes are. If you have the $$ then a carbon frame and carbon wheels are worth it.

My current favorite is a Specialized Camber Evo, but I'm a little biased.

monkeyrider

Observer
I don't think I could go back to a 26 inch bike after a 29er. I'd get a FS 29er like a Salsa Spearfish. It's a nice all round xc bike. or get a fat bike. I just picked up my 2nd fat bike. Damn things are a blast on snow and even dirt. Drop some money on a carbon fatty and call it a day. Beargrease!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You guys are right on... maybe a new toy to resurge the riding jones.

I have ridden some 29" bikes and have to say I don't get it... or really see any difference at all... That is probably because I am so slow. I used to worry about that but not so much anymore. I think to really see an advantage for the big wheels you need to be fast. Although I have not ridden any 29r for 5 years or so... However, I really like the idea of the Salsa Spearfish. A little bit of squish without complexity. I am open to further discussion on the topic for sure, or suggestions on 29r bikes that could change my mind.

I'd have to try a fat bike on some of our typical NC trails before jumping on that one. Little to no snow here, so it would be about trail performance. It does seem to match my plodding, methodical riding style though.

I totally get the 1x10 thing, as my transition to singlespeed went 3x9, to 2x9, 1x9 ,2x1 (fun way to do things) and finally bit the bullet... 1x1. Been there since 2010. I do sometimes miss the sit and spin up hills. I used to like to chug up long technical climbs, at a snails pace perhaps, but clearing everything. I could take my current bike back to 1x9 at no cost, so that is a viable option I have not thought of until right now.

I had a suggestion on another forum to make the move back (for me back about 15+ years?) to flat pedals. I may pick up some cheaper true mtb flats and give it a try. Would be nice since we have a four year old and he and I are on the bikes together (he is still on his balance bike,,, hoping to transition him this summer) a lot.

Right now I am leaning hard towards a well used tactic of invigorating my riding by planning, training for and taking a "big ride". By that I mean a ride I have not done before, with some element or remoteness, and some classic feel to it, maybe multi day. I have done most of the IMBA epics within striking distance, but have begun researching some of the new ones and even exploring the idea of hitting Snowshoe for a mix of singletrack and downhill.

That does not preclude the idea of a new toy... :bike_rider: so we'll see. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

John

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't have a fat bike, just haven't gotten into sync with that vibe. But I've over the years had most everything else. A 29'er hard tail with a 2x10 scratched the itch for me to the point I've sold everything else except for the 'cross bike and that gets to stay around only to have a drop bar option. It's old, it's aluminum and when it breaks it'll get replaced with another CX bike. Otherwise, I absolutely love my Gunnar. Never in my 20-some years of mountain biking have ever found myself /not/ shopping for the next bike. Other bikes don't catch my eye in mags or on the trail. I'm at 100% peace with my bike, it's an oddly cosmic moment that makes my wife happy with the credit card situation.

I think you're on the right track widening your ride horizon. Part of the reason I love my 29'er so much is I finally dedicated to ditching the BOB and getting frame bags for our touring. I was a stick-in-the-mud hold out but that was really the kick I needed to shake my doldrums a couple of years ago. Otherwise, your post could be me. Big hits? All mountain? Who cares? My gear reflects my ethos that keeps the same old, worn out Toyota in the garage. It's simple, it's reliable, it's paid for and it's all about getting some place with minimal flash and drama.

If I were in your shoes and with what I know I would seriously give 29" wheels a second look (I found they really do start to shine when you're riding beyond 20, 30 miles) but otherwise I wouldn't get into the upgrade space race. In the end you could be riding anything just as long what you're doing puts a big fat smile on your face. What does that in my experience is the ride and the possibility of discovering something new.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oh, I will say that I haven't seen the benefit of 1x11 yet. It's too race-specific I think. But compared to a one speed it might be just the ticket. I think 2x10 for me is just about perfect. I don't miss anything lower in gearing (it's faster to run or walk at that point and, like you say, it's just about moving down trail not always riding) and either way I'm spun out heading down hill or on pavement. What difference is turning 90 RPM or 110 RPM when that happens? Maybe when it trickles down to mortal price points it'll get reconsidered but haven't been floored on the couple of test rides enough and certainly not worth the dollars IMHO.

SalsaJJ

Salsa GM
Oh, I will say that I haven't seen the benefit of 1x11 yet. It's too race-specific I think. But compared to a one speed it might be just the ticket. I think 2x10 for me is just about perfect. I don't miss anything lower in gearing (it's faster to run or walk at that point and, like you say, it's just about moving down trail not always riding) and either way I'm spun out heading down hill or on pavement. What difference is turning 90 RPM or 110 RPM when that happens? Maybe when it trickles down to mortal price points it'll get reconsidered but haven't been floored on the couple of test rides enough and certainly not worth the dollars IMHO.

I was a skeptic of the 1x at first as well. I currently own the Split Pivot Salsa Spearfish with a 1x system. At first it felt like I was always in between the right gear I needed to be. I then however changed the chainring size on the front two teeth down. Holy cow, that was the ticket!!! I actually love the 1x system and the weight it saved me and the efficiency it gained. There are applications where I still run 2x however. Fat is one of them. However for the single track riding I do, 1x is the ticket. Get that front chainring dialed in for you though.

Also, the Spearfish is an amazing rig. Throw a framebag on it and go get lost for a couple of days!

monkeyrider

Observer
I had the opportunity to ride the new Spearfish XX1. It's a great bike. The 1x set up is really slick and the Spearfish suspension is amazing.

p nut

butter
I've regressed back to a rigid and singlespeed bike. For me, rigid is where it's at. I would either go custom frame, or buy a Jones diamond frame with a Ti truss fork. Tight wheelbase and a big front tire. I think it would fit your terrain and riding style nicely.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have been doing a lot of rigid riding on my carbon beargrease...more than I ever thought I would do. It is amazing how much fun a fat bike can be in the dry conditions. I actually enjoy it much more than in the snow.
That being said I have also spent a lot more time on a 5 inch trail 29er (yeti sb95c) and the comfort over technical single track is hard to beat...you can launch that thing over anything...
The yeti was my first 29er and I didn't like it at first...felt sluggish and slow to steer compared to a full suspension 26" wheeled bike with less travel...You can't flick it around like the little wheeler but when you get it rolling...whoo
My next bike will be either a hardtail 29er or something like the salsa fargo a bit more dedicated to bikepacking...but I think the ti el mariachi is winning the vote race right now...
As for 1x11...I haven't ridden it much...for ripping singletrack 2x10 is perfect IMO...I still like 3x gearing for when the climbing distances get over 1-2 hours straight...something to be said for a true granny especially when loaded

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have been doing a lot of rigid riding on my carbon beargrease...more than I ever thought I would do. It is amazing how much fun a fat bike can be in the dry conditions. I actually enjoy it much more than in the snow.
That being said I have also spent a lot more time on a 5 inch trail 29er (yeti sb95c) and the comfort over technical single track is hard to beat...you can launch that thing over anything...
The yeti was my first 29er and I didn't like it at first...felt sluggish and slow to steer compared to a full suspension 26" wheeled bike with less travel...You can't flick it around like the little wheeler but when you get it rolling...whoo
My next bike will be either a hardtail 29er or something like the salsa fargo a bit more dedicated to bikepacking...but I think the ti el mariachi is winning the vote race right now...
As for 1x11...I haven't ridden it much...for ripping singletrack 2x10 is perfect IMO...I still like 3x gearing for when the climbing distances get over 1-2 hours straight...something to be said for a true granny especially when loaded

So on your Beargrease how do you have that set up? 2x9 1x10 Sram or Shimano?
I'm building up my fatback and I'm leaning to the 1x10 with a 28t ring and 42t giant cog. This wil be my first bike in 8 years with gears.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
It is the factory sram... 2x with 22 and 36t rings...cassette that came on it was an 11x36...I am thinking about going 38 big chainring but not until I wear this one out.
I know the higher end build on the same frame comes with the 1x11 sram xx1...sweet stuff but I can't stomach paying more than 100 bucks for a cassette...that xx1 beauty costs more than a super record ti...ouch
I will say the 45nrth dillinger tires rip in the dirt. I was going to take them off after the winter and replace them with a more dry friendly tire and one that is a bit cheaper but they work so well in the sandy dry stuff here in N. AZ that I am keeping them on...I never needed the studs this winter since it wasn't much of a winter here in Flag...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
bucksaw_zpsed2e27a1.jpg

Here's a nice shot of Justin on my six in Sedona from last weekend on the Bucksaw. Pretty cool seeing seven of them trundling down the trail. Amazing how many people didn't even notice. Weird.

Stay tuned for the full breakdown of the Bucksaw on the home page in less than 8 hours. I'll also file a full report after spending a few days on it in Iceland. To the Salsa boys here on Expedition Portal, you did one helluva nice job with that bike. I'm not getting crap done for work this week.

As Christopher Walken would say, "Need more Bucksaw!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior