Thermal or standard fuse for hard-wired fridge power?

SteveG

Adventurer
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to add a hard-wired cord to my car for a 64qt Norcold (Engel) fridge. The original cord comes from the factory with a thermal 10 amp fuse in the cigar lighter end. I'm guessing that type of fuse is used to avoid melting in case the connector gets too hot. Is this correct? Or, is the thermal fuse used to to protect the fridge?

When hard-wiring this circuit, can I use a standard fuse or should I still use a thermal fuse like the one from the factory?

Thanks in advance!

Wyowanderer

Explorer
You're partially correct: the fuse also protects the fridge's electronics in the event of reversed polarity. I've hardwired my fridge (MT-43) and installed the glass fuse using an inexpensive fuse holder like this:http://www.bluesea.com/products/5021/Panel_Mount_AGC_MDL_Fuse_Holder
Cheap, easy, and safer. My fridge has a 10A fuse next to the plug in as well.

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to add a hard-wired cord to my car for a 64qt Norcold (Engel) fridge. The original cord comes from the factory with a thermal 10 amp fuse in the cigar lighter end. I'm guessing that type of fuse is used to avoid melting in case the connector gets too hot. Is this correct? Or, is the thermal fuse used to to protect the fridge?

When hard-wiring this circuit, can I use a standard fuse or should I still use a thermal fuse like the one from the factory?

Thanks in advance!

clandr1

Adventurer
Use the cheap fuse, that's what I did when a buddy accidentally installed the thermal fuse backwards. No way am I paying $15 for a replacement.

SteveG

Adventurer
You're partially correct: the fuse also protects the fridge's electronics in the event of reversed polarity. I've hardwired my fridge (MT-43) and installed the glass fuse using an inexpensive fuse holder like this:http://www.bluesea.com/products/5021/Panel_Mount_AGC_MDL_Fuse_Holder
Cheap, easy, and safer. My fridge has a 10A fuse next to the plug in as well.
Thanks for the response. Wouldn't a standard fuse protect from reversed polarity? Or is there something special in the Engel thermal fuse that protects from reversed polarity?

Use the cheap fuse, that's what I did when a buddy accidentally installed the thermal fuse backwards. No way am I paying $15 for a replacement.

I found them for $5.99 each plus $5.95 shipping for as many as I want. Not exactly cheap but cheaper than a fridge! Plus, If I'm blowing enough fuses to worry about their cost, I've got bigger problems.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz