Thinking of switching from dual fuel to propane.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Thought on the pros and cons of dual fuel vs propane. I currently have a Coleman two and three burner dual fuel stove and they are in need of relpacement parts and my wife has a hard time getting them to light when she wants coffee. I'm thinking about going to propane with a remote 10lb tank. I was raised with using these stoves and the centimental factor is there but know the cost to make these stoves work better is close to a new stove. What are your thoughts ExPo people?

clandr1

Adventurer
I like the idea of being able to refill the fuel tank on the liquid fuel stoves. I don't like the idea of being screwed if I run out of propane and don't have a resupply option close. I suppose it all depends on where you go, for how long, and how remote.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
There seems to be some interest in this thread so here's what I'm thinking. First pros and cons to dual fuel.

PROS: Can burn gasoline in a pinch. CONS: The stoves I already own are in need of repair.
Easy to control heat. Can be a trick to light (wife)
Easy access to white gas. Fuel is messy when spilled.

Propane.

PROS: Clean containment of fuel. CONS: Need to make sure there is enough fuel for trip.
Can split fitting to use on lantern. Propane stoves seem rather lite in material (fragile)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Here are my additional criteria that caused me to make a couple of switches in my cooking system:

* Easy re-light - I do a lot of meals where I need to use the burner for a while, then off, then re-light to cook something else. I found that white gas did not re-light cleanly. I always ended up with trouble lighting, then a sooty flame on the second pass. Waiting until cool, all was fine, but not practical. This alone was just about enough to make me switch to propane.

* Decent simmer control - lots of heat is great for boiling water. And burning eggs. Really can't stand overcooked fish, etc. This is where my cheaper Camp Chef propane stove let me down. Maybe better stoves do this better, but I've found one more criteria that put me into a third category:

* Quick setup and tear-down. In my rig, my gear is usually stowed between meals. We don't tend to "base camp" for days at a time. Either because we're on the move, or away from camp in questionable security circumstances, or whatever. The fact remains that the process of re-attaching the fiddly small-thread adapter into the side of my propane stove was a major headache.

My solution was almost an accident:
On a last minute solo trip, I groaned at the idea of lugging the 5lb tank and stove I don't like just to make ramen, so I threw the little butane catering burner I keep for emergencies into the chuck tote.

What a revelation. Easiest setup (one lever to lock the cartridge), one click to light, great simmer control and decent overall thermal output.

I've since sourced a similar single burner from stansport that will run on either butane cartridges or 1 lb propane tanks with an included adapter. I'll use butane when I can, and the ubiquitous propane cylinders on the rare event I can't source more butane.

I tend to rotate my second heat source between the other butane burner, a propane grill, or a charcoal grill, depending on menu, length of stay, etc.

As a bonus, the basic butane burners are usually sub-$20 at my local Asian market and the trick dual fuel version was like $35 at Wally world.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
I'd like to add a couple of items:

Dual Fuel

PRO:
-seems to be more miserly on fuel usage
-fill the tank and pack the stove/lantern..no need for extra bottles
-personally, I like to cool vintage look/feel of white gas products - feels like "real" camping

CON:
-filling tanks...if done hastily, can leave fingers/pant legs/shorts/knees smelling less than rosy
-lighting requires patience/certain nuance to achieve a clean flame

Propane

PRO:
-buy cylinders and good to go
-quick lighting sequence
-consistent flame from lighting to extinguished

CON:
-disposable cylinders hard on the environment
-my propane stove/lanterns seem to use more fuel compared to WG
-threading regulators can be a PITA
-have had some cold weather issues with propane flow/low flame

I'm subscribing to this thread as I am headed away from propane driven camping devices, and am curious to see other opinions and follow the debate.

Let the comments continue!!

:camping:

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
All great responses! I seem to be the only one in my small family who can get the dual fuel stoves lit, granted my wife geeks out about the small leak in the control knob and doesn't want to use it. The only time she needs it is if she's up before I am and wants coffee. I do like the old Coleman stoves that my dad gave me, the three burner is in great condition and comes with the aluminum fold out stand. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and should get a dual fuel lantern and have here use the MSR Pocket Rocket for coffee. I've got to admit, I do like the smell of white gass and it turns my wife on. It helps to hear the opinions of others when to make a decision. Thanks. Who has an old dual fuel lantern they want to sell?

screwball48

Explorer
Snowdozer, have you considered one of the propane coffee makers like coleman offers. It would allow you to continue to cook with the dual fuel stove you like and give your wife an easier alternative to making her coffee in the mornings.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Yes I've looked into those, we have become super lazy and started drinking Starbucks Vias. She really only needs to boil water. Thanks

CCH

Adventurer
For years I went with white fuel, but as most of my trips are relatively short, the advantages of propane listed above have converted me. It's just a lot cleaner/easier to deal with. I used to lug a big Camp Chef, but it was simply too much for me and now I use a compact Coleman two burner or if I'm really keeping it simple, a Coleman single burner. The fact that I frequently bring a portable Weber propane grill really seals the deal as I don't want to lug propane and white fuel. However, if white fuel turned my wife on, I'd go back to my old gear in a heartbeat. ;)

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
LOL CCH!!!

SNOWDOZER...I found no less than a dozen Coleman dual fuel lanterns between $20-$60 in a random CL search yesterday - the more expensive were older and in +9 shape.

Sent from Planet Claire using Tapatalk

Junkinduck

Observer
For what it's worth I like the best of both worlds. I use a Coleman 3 burner dual fuel and keep an LP converter. I like the traditional white gas Coleman stuff but when in a bind the converter works well. Just curious what could go wrong with a Coleman that would require replacement. I have put gallons of fuel through a yard sale 428-700 without an issue. The generator is the only thing I keep a spare of.
I recently came across a Coleman 5428 guide stove that I take with the travel trailer. Always have plenty of LP with the TT and it works great. I would recommend the 5428 although tough to find and pricey. I got lucky on mine.
843ad8b9a3fd5cb0a6d322e31e20319d.jpg

taugust

Adventurer
Mmmmmm. Waffles. Nice iron. I have a Griswold with a low base. Need to take it out more.

Back on topic, I use all CF. Replacement parts are easily obtained from Coleman or oldcolemanparts.com, or even eBay. There is great info on rebuild/repair at oldcolemanparts as well. Keep them running.

AndrewP

Explorer
I went the other way. Propane for years and years, got tired of the tanks, the hoses, the manifold, and piss-poor cold weather performance. Then 3 years ago, I hauled out my 1993 dual fuel and what a revelation. Set up is 1/2 the time, flame is significantly hotter, so simple that it's going to run fine every time. Best of all---no heavy propane tank. Without the pressure tank, the liquid white gas is easier and safer to carry more BTUs. For those of you who can't manage to pour the fuel into the tank, they make these amazing things called funnels---you should check them out!

Since my re-conversion, I now have a whole stable of Coleman gear some as old as the 1930s and it all works perfectly. I run it on white gas tokeep the generator cleaner, but I can run the stove and lantern on gasoline from the car if I need too.

Now-for the wife and her morning coffee-get her a jet boil and tell her to leave the real stove to you.

Here's my go to stove (roughly 1962):

242RPplusmore014640x480_zpsb6ede12d.jpg

Best part--Fuel tank, stove stand and a lantern all fit inside the case of the stove. That 3.5 pint tank is usually enough for the average week long trip.

ColemanIH8Mudpics2013003640x480_zpsdc48deee.jpg

carbon60

Explorer
That 3.5 pint tank is usually enough for the average week long trip.

Say that again!? Is that an optimistic measure?

That would be more than enough reason for me to switch back to gas, which I hadn't used since my lightweight backpacking days…

A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz