Thinking of switching from dual fuel to propane.

AndrewP

Explorer
Say that again!? Is that an optimistic measure?

A.

Maybe a little, but a gasoline stove is very efficient in terms of bulk vs utility. Now if you had a long cooked breakfast every morning, and a big involved dinner every night, you'd likely have to refill, but for most outdoor use that tank will last a surprisingly long time. The large 2 burners also have a big tank, but the small 2 burner (425 size) has a much smaller tank. Still lasts longer than you would think.

Coleman nomenclature:
426--Large 3 Burner gasoline stove (White gas preferred)
413--Large 2 burner gasoline stove "
425--Small 2 burner gasoline stove "

428--Rare 3 burner "dual fuel" (meaning the generator lasts longer than the 426s generator when pump gas is used, but still better to use white gas)
414--Sometimes called "powerhouse" Large 2 burner "dual fuel"-same foot print and case as 413.
424--Small 2 burner "dual fuel"

426/413 share the same generator
428/414 share the same generator

An example I've given before--last year in Utah for 2 weeks, running that stove and at least 1 lantern every night, I went through the original fill and 2 additional 30oz MSR bottles of white gas and came home with gas to spare-almost a 1/2 full 30oz MSR bottle. That's real cooking almost every night, occasional cooked breakfast, lanterns running 3-4 hours per night etc.

Some other advantages of white gas stoves-they have no o-rings, just a cap gasket and about 3 moving parts. Other then replacing the generator about once every decade (or less) there is virtually nothing to go wrong. The stove I pictured above is still using it's original generator! Plus-ALL the parts it may need are still made and can still be easily purchased-and that stove is 50 years old.

The best part is that Coleman gasoline stoves can be purchased in every town off of Craigs list for about $20. Some simple green and a new cap for the tank (or replace the gasket if you're handy) and good to go for another 20 years.

Last edited:

carbon60

Explorer
Well, I'm going to hunt for a 414 as I think that most closely fits my needs. Nothing on CL around here, yet.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the information, very helpful.

A.

AndrewP

Explorer
Well, I'm going to hunt for a 414 as I think that most closely fits my needs. Nothing on CL around here, yet.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the information, very helpful.

A.

Canada Coleman had a different series of stoves. The originals were just like Coleman USA, but the later ones had a different valve (called Easi-Lite, I think) that has O rings. While the o-rings can be easily replaced, I would avoid these stoves. The valve in USA Colemans and in earlier Canadian Coleman has a graphite packing instead of O-ring seals and lasts basically forever, though it too can be replaced if needed. A 414 would serve you well. I bought one in 1993, used it car camping with the family until about 2003 when I switched to propane. When I started using it again, I added fuel and it ran like I'd used it the day before.

With that said, there are some minor advantages to the earlier stoves. You can look for dates under the tank tabs that hold it to the case. The earlier the stove, typically the heavier the metal of the case.

Edit: For snowdozer the original poster-I'd be happy to help you rehab your old stoves. I see you're in Truckee. If you're ever coming to Sacramento send me a pm and we could make your existing stoves run like new.

Last edited:

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
For cooking I have used just about everything…..propane, dual fuel canisters, multi-fuel stove, deadwood wood burning stove and a small one burner butane stove. For me the easiest to use is the $20.00 one burner butane, small suitcase type stove that uses the fuel cans the size of a lysol can. Butane heats up my pans / cookware in record time and are really easy to use. Not to mention the stove is inexpensive! The only draw back is that butane will begin to freeze at 40 degrees or lower. The butane canisters are available all over the world if you plan to travel overseas. Hope this helps.
-AK

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For cooking I have used just about everything…..propane, dual fuel canisters, multi-fuel stove, deadwood wood burning stove and a small one burner butane stove. For me the easiest to use is the $20.00 one burner butane, small suitcase type stove that uses the fuel cans the size of a lysol can. Butane heats up my pans / cookware in record time and are really easy to use. Not to mention the stove is inexpensive! The only draw back is that butane will begin to freeze at 40 degrees or lower. The butane canisters are available all over the world if you plan to travel overseas. Hope this helps.
-AK

186-500-new-stove_1.jpg

Yep. Butane for ease. Use the propane adapter when needed. I only pack white gas now when I KNOW I'm going someplace REALLY cold.

AndrewP

Explorer
Not to belabor the discussion, but cold temps are hard to predict. In the Sierra, local to me, even in high summer the morning temps are often below 40 and sometimes below 30. A butane stove while convenient, is just not going to be useful. That's a stove designed for indoor use. Even propane is a better choice. If you go to let's say, Death Valley in March, good luck getting that butane stove to heat water for coffee, let alone cook a real dinner.

White gas will work in ALL conditions. You won't need to sleep with the canister, or worry if your stove will go out due to low pressure. And try finding fresh canisters in the middle of no where on Sunday. With a gasoline stove, when the white gas finally gives out, 1 pint of fuel out of your truck's fuel tank will cook, breakfast, dinner and heat dish water for the 2 days it takes to get back to civilization.

Joanne

Adventurer
Like a lot of outdoor cooks I have various stoves to choose from when I head out. Each has its strong points and weak points.

I've had cold weather issues with the propane stoves that use small cylinders. I can keep one burner going, but there isn't enough pressure to keep both burners going. That is usually around freezing temperatures.

I really love the power of my Camp Chef Weekender when I'm doing serious cooking. The big down side to that stove is that it's poor in windy conditions, something that I deal with all the time. Just spent a week just outside of Tonopah with only one day without wind. Can make for challenging cooking.

My Coleman dual fuel is a great stove, although it can be a bit finicky. Currently I think it needs a new generator to get it back into good order.

Joanne

madmax718

Explorer
butane cartridges are hands down the easiest, but I find that I need 3-4 bottles to equal one fill on my 1970's 425. Butane works fast, no priming, no pumping, etc. However, the cheaper stove design (no wind screen) has a lot of loss on even breezy days. Also, toward the end of the bottle, the pressure drop is pretty significant, and the btu's cut down significantly.

There's a good balance on size and packability, and I do love the briefcase styles of both. The butane one is light- maybe one third of the weight. And thats with its fuel. But it does use disposable canisters.. I would choose either of these over propane, as canisters are big, bulky, and heavy.

shfd739

Observer
All great responses! I seem to be the only one in my small family who can get the dual fuel stoves lit, granted my wife geeks out about the small leak in the control knob and doesn't want to use it. The only time she needs it is if she's up before I am and wants coffee. I do like the old Coleman stoves that my dad gave me, the three burner is in great condition and comes with the aluminum fold out stand. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and should get a dual fuel lantern and have here use the MSR Pocket Rocket for coffee. I've got to admit, I do like the smell of white gass and it turns my wife on. It helps to hear the opinions of others when to make a decision. Thanks. Who has an old dual fuel lantern they want to sell?

I'm kinda late to this thread but this is what we do.

Pocket Rocket for heating coffee/Mountain Home water and the Coleman fuel stove for cooking meals. Wife loves using the Pocket Rocket and I'd say it's been one of our better camping purchases.

My wife loves to cook on the Coleman stove but she always wants me to start it- fine with me since it means I don't have to cook. We both prefer it and it's a nostalgia thing. I hate propane..to the point that when we use our pop up I still cook outside with the Coleman stove and don't use the campers propane stoves.

clandr1

Adventurer
I'm kinda late to this thread but this is what we do.

Pocket Rocket for heating coffee/Mountain Home water and the Coleman fuel stove for cooking meals. Wife loves using the Pocket Rocket and I'd say it's been one of our better camping purchases.

My wife loves to cook on the Coleman stove but she always wants me to start it- fine with me since it means I don't have to cook. We both prefer it and it's a nostalgia thing. I hate propane..to the point that when we use our pop up I still cook outside with the Coleman stove and don't use the campers propane stoves.

I'd say this is the best overall approach. I too have a butane mini-burner for simple heating of water, but have the stove for bigger cooking needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94