Adventure trailers, kitchens and bear safety

jaxonm

Observer
bob91yj, I had a very similar experience once camping in Tahoe, which is why I started the thread. I was on a road trip from LA to Seattle with my dog and we were doing quick overnight stays. The night in question I didn't even cook in camp, but the campgrounds were busy and that brought the bears out.

I woke up with the dogs muzzle pressing into my chest as she growled like I had never heard her growl. I quickly realized that I could feel the breath of a bear through the tent wall above my head. I reached into the sling for my headlamp and grabbed my car keys, so I set the car alarm off. That worked, and woke up most of the surrounding camps.

I don't carry a gun (fully support your right to tho), but I do carry bear spray and keep a very clean camp, storing food and garbage away from sleeping areas. In general I am only concerned with bears showing up while we are sleeping. As elmo_4_vt stated, we would be sleeping right on top of the kitchen.

Obviously there is no magic bullet here. Cleanliness and being smart (as usual) are the big keys. I like the idea of bells on food and garbage bags. And I think I will keep the idea of having a bear horn or siren that I can trigger from in the RTT.

Be safe out there.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Just a quick thought on the bear spray...

I wish I had kept a copy of it, but back when I was on an alpine SAR unit we received copies of a bear spray study (I think it was AK Dept. of Wildlife). They found that while the spray would drive off a bear, it would draw distant bears into the area. Seems bears are like humans, in that they like a small bit of spice, but not a lot.

Anyway, their recommendation was that if you have to use bear spray, leave the area.

Septu

Explorer
I just buy a bear tag. Problem solved, I never see one after that.

Isn't that usually the way it works out?

My dad always buys a bear tag. But only because it's easier to have a bear tag then to deal with the paperwork if you actually have to shoot one (he did once that I'm aware of... ~15 years ago?).

My dad always buys a bear tag. But only because it's easier to have a bear tag then to deal with the paperwork if you actually have to shoot one (he did once that I'm aware of... ~15 years ago?).

I agree- at least for an in-state tag here in Montana, it's a $20 tag that can save a whole lotta headache. The only problem is that's only insurance against half the bear population here- it's only good on blackies, those big griz are still protected. Also, that doesn't help you very much if you're traveling out of state, those tags are expensive.

Fyreman

Observer
Just carry a .22lr. Shoot your buddy in the leg so you can out run him... Problem solved 😜

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles