Carrying spares?

Maybe a noob question, but still unanswered.
Do you carry spares?
E.g.: alternator, starter, pulleys, tensioner, belts, CPS sensor?
Over the years I accumulated a lot of spare parts.
They are so many of them I have to carry a second box.

Is this really necessary?
I was very frustrated to recognize to be stuck over a weekend in a remote village because I was not able to get a belt while on a trip.

My question is: Where is the logical limit to stop?

Ok, I will not travel knowing the alternator could crap out during the next miles. I'm talking of sudden fail.

clandr1

Adventurer
It depends. If I'm making a road trip within the USA, I'm not taking anything other than recovery gear, air compressor, fuses, a spare belt, and jumper cables.

Now, if I'm making a trek into another country, or a remote part of the world, and they don't have parts available, then yeah, I'd take some of the more common items (alt, starter, belts, hoses, etc).

Last edited:

Hj61 12ht

I have an old diesel toyota so I don't need to take any electrical spares like starters or alternator, can be started and runs fine without that stuff.
I always have wheel bearings, gaskets - seals, radiator hoses & fan belt, plenty of fluids, oils, grease, water to keep it going in an emergency.
I have an assortment of nuts and bolts and a length of vacume pipe, bits of wire etc...

Gator

Adventurer
I carry spare front axle shafts with u-joints, hubs, spindle bearings, alternator, starter, fuses, belts driveshafts and of course a tire. I used to carry a distributer but ended up having to use it. I'll get another soon. I like to carry parts that if go bad would stop the fun.
Lator....

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The one spare part you need is always the one you don't have. Lol. Guess it depends on where your going and keeping up with repairs on your vehicle is higher on list than spares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I don't have much trouble with spares that most do, but I do like to keep some extra fluids on hand and some basic hardware. I keep it all in a gorilla tough trunk in the back. Makes it easy to remove everything when I'm just doing a grocery run and keeps everything organized. I even keep a floor jack in there.

What spares you do carry depends a lot on the vehicle and how its used. If you do a lot of rock crawling for instance, drive train parts are the way to go. For road driving, basic engine maintenance stuff, like oils/fluids, plugs, alt, belts and some basic hardware like hose clamps are a good safe bet. You should also keep a roll of steel "bailer" wire and good duck tape handy too. I always keeps some in mine. The wire, for instance, can be made into a temporary hose clamp.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Do you carry spares?

When I carry spares, its usually used parts that have some service life in them, I know they fit and work. A good example are wheel bearings and races, but I would carry a set of new seals. I'd consider the mileage on items like brake pads, if I couldn't complete the trip with what's there, I'd throw on a new set and carry the take-offs.

Same with belts and hoses, install new in the comfort of my own shop, carry the used ones as spares. It can be quite an investment carrying new parts, that you may or may never need. When carrying used parts it doesn't hurt so bad when they disappear or I give them up to someone else.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I only carry "trip stoppers"
And since I drive an 1970 Suburban there aren't too many of those...
Belts, HEI Ing mod, a couple of old spark plug wires & plugs from the last change out, front axle star washers...might add bearings, oil/trans fluids
I don't wheel hard and even in remote Baja there are sources for old Chevy trucks :)

01tundra

Explorer
When I replaced my serpentine belt (due to age/regular scheduled maintenance) I threw the old one behind the seat of my truck. It wasn't visually damaged and that's one item that could definitely stop you in your tracks on newer vehicles. A couple zip ties around it and it takes up very little space at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier