Non-tire carrier swing away

kf4zht

Making plans for my new to me Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK)

It currently has the spare tire under back end. You can modify the existing space to fit the largest tire I plan to run and it doesn't seem to hurt ground clearance, so I am going to keep the spare there. I still would like a rear swing away of some kind for storing the crap I don't want in the vehicle:

Fuel cans
Hi-lift
Shovel/axe
pre-attached recovery strap wind up

I know the common answer is a roof rack, but I prefer to shy away. Later I would like to have the option for a RTT and after having several I hate the economy loss that a roof rack leads to.

The first battle is making the attachment to the vehicle, but I am confident I can handle that. I need some inspiration for layout of the storage. Does anyone know of a vehicle that has a mount like this or have pictures of options? Any help would be appreciated.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
It's all starts with where you want go attach it to and how you want to fasten it closed. That of course will dictate it's size. There are a few one piece hinges on ebay for the do it yourselfer. Scan the Intra-web for inspiration.

java

Expedition Leader
Alumaness does a big box on one side of their swing outs on many of the Sportsmobiles.

Ive seen pelican cases bolted to swing outs also.

kf4zht

Alumaness does a big box on one side of their swing outs on many of the Sportsmobiles.

Ive seen pelican cases bolted to swing outs also.

I like the pelican case idea... I was trying to think of how to gain some dry storage.

The hinge is easy, trailer spindle. I have built a couple of jeep ones in the past. Using a trailer spindle I can sit on the end of the arm and the only deflection is in the vehicles suspension

Shaping up to look like the carrier will hold:
2-3 x 20L/5G Jerry Cans (Thinking 2 fuel, 1 water)
HiLift Jack
D Handle Shovel
Axe
1-2 pelican cases (need to determine size)
loop points for dirty recovery straps
Work/reverse lamp

I will hit the sketchup to see what designs I can come up with.

GhostRing

Observer
I'm giving lots of thought to building something similar to a TireGate HG that omits the spare tire (I am staying under vehicle for now as well)
and includes the gear I need for the weekend/whatever and can be removed for DD duty otherwise.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Please rethink carrying a recovery strap on the outside of your vehicle. You have no idea how much the average dirt, dust, and debris can abrade and degrade your strap while its out there. Sure looks cool, but when you need it, it may fail. Then how cool do you look with a bad *** rig stuck in a ditch with your strap all frayed and broken? It's not that heavy, and doesn't take up much space. Store it inside. I didn't mean to dump on your thread/idea, but if it must be outside, stick it in a pelican of something.

kf4zht

Please rethink carrying a recovery strap on the outside of your vehicle. You have no idea how much the average dirt, dust, and debris can abrade and degrade your strap while its out there. Sure looks cool, but when you need it, it may fail. Then how cool do you look with a bad *** rig stuck in a ditch with your strap all frayed and broken? It's not that heavy, and doesn't take up much space. Store it inside. I didn't mean to dump on your thread/idea, but if it must be outside, stick it in a pelican of something.

You missed the "Dirty" part of that requirement. Keeping the strap on the outside all the time and it will get stolen well before it frays out.

Having a good place to wrap the strap around when you have just used it and not had a chance to clean it or prehooking a strap before attempting a difficult obstacle (think river crossing) so that you don't end up unable to get the strap out and hooked up.

Also added Maxtrax/TREDs/etc mounts to the requirements

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Kf4,
A lot of us are in this boat. If you have the stomach to lay out this much cash, the Tire Gate HG looks well thought out. They have centered, off-set, wide swing, narrow swing. As i have two size wheels and tires, i must carry two spares and the stock spare (for the front axle) goes underneath in the factory position. After I added the Class V receiver hitch the stock spare is very tight so i stow it partially inflated. This kind of bites it. I carry the 15.5" wide tire on 12" rim behind the drivers seat of the quad cab. For years I've been thinking about at swing away tire carrier like the Tire Gate HG sells, and i just recently ran into from a post on RV.net/truck camper section. In my case I must use a 20" long hitch extension to clear the Lance which reduces the GW (kind of like tongue weight) you can load on. But with a 10K hitch it should still be able to carry cans/tire/hi lift/straps (in an ammo can).
If you don't want to spend the money, and if you are a certified welder, you could make your own for under $100, U.S.
They have a model which fits your concerns to a T. Gas cans/hi-lift/other stowage.
jefe

kf4zht

Kf4,
A lot of us are in this boat. If you have the stomach to lay out this much cash, the Tire Gate HG looks well thought out. They have centered, off-set, wide swing, narrow swing. As i have two size wheels and tires, i must carry two spares and the stock spare (for the front axle) goes underneath in the factory position. After I added the Class V receiver hitch the stock spare is very tight so i stow it partially inflated. This kind of bites it. I carry the 15.5" wide tire on 12" rim behind the drivers seat of the quad cab. For years I've been thinking about at swing away tire carrier like the Tire Gate HG sells, and i just recently ran into from a post on RV.net/truck camper section. In my case I must use a 20" long hitch extension to clear the Lance which reduces the GW (kind of like tongue weight) you can load on. But with a 10K hitch it should still be able to carry cans/tire/hi lift/straps (in an ammo can).
If you don't want to spend the money, and if you are a certified welder, you could make your own for under $100, U.S.
They have a model which fits your concerns to a T. Gas cans/hi-lift/other stowage.
jefe

I am almost starting to think that it could be a modular system. Maybe have an arm that is the DD/Offroad one (Hilift, strap wrap, Shovel, traction ramps) and a Expo arm that adds Jerry cans and storage. I looked a few that were dual arm (from each side). Makes the engineering easier and mode modular, but then you have to open 2 arms to get in the hatch. On a DD that would get annoying.

BossGX470

Total n00b here with a 2008 Lexus GX470 with a side opening rear door.

I'm looking for something JUST like this, I'd like it to be hitch mounted, swing away and I would like to hold the cargo up higher. Looking at doing 2X RotoPax 2 gal fuel cans and 2X 2 gal water cans, possibly a Pelican 1560 case.

I'm a basic welder but this is beyond my caveman skillset. I can draft in AutoCAD and 3DS Max to plan something out.

I saw this uber-expen$ive receiver mounted swing arm and thought it was a cool design http://www.mweracks.com/

kf4zht

Starting to think of the idea to first build a receiver mounted version so I have something until the bumper is ready.

GhostRing

Observer
Starting to think of the idea to first build a receiver mounted version so I have something until the bumper is ready.

That's what I'm starting to mess with... :)

hitchy-hitch_zps0e972d44.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier