Metzeler Karoo 3 Tires

zolo

Explorer
Has anyone tired these tires out on a big bike like a 1200 GSA?

I am about to need a new set and I want a more dirt oriented tire for my GSA.

I like the TKC 80 but I saw these and they are slightly more money but look like they could provide a lot of rear wheel traction with those tread blocks and no center strip.

Any one running them?

3Rrr

A friend of mine on a GSA used them on the COBDR last summer. Was quite pleased with their performance. I know he also uses them for his frequent trips to Death Valley. Better than the TKC's for durability, and way more traction available than the K60 Scouts.

_Aaron_

Observer
Get 'em!

Just got back from four hours of mixed riding on these tires: tarmac, forest service roads, wet baby head sized rocks, mud, and deep puddles.

Love the Karoo 3s on my 1150G!. Much better in the Pacific Northwet than the K60s. Better on pavement than TKCs.

I usually air 'em down to about 20PSI for extended off road jaunts.

pisgah.JPG

pisgah2.JPG

coffee.JPG

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
I like the tread pattern as well and I have seen these mounted on GS Adventures. They look great. The word I have read is that they don't last long but most love what they offer for the duration.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Karoo 3 vs Hend K60 vs TKC on Adventure Rider.com.
Be forewarned! This is a topic of great debate over there. As bad as politics or what oil to use!!
It's great reading though!

In so many words...the Karoo 3s are expensive for the mileage you get out of them. So I guess like most things in life...it's how you operate your ride as to how you will like them.
For me....Karoo 3's are my next tire since Metz no longer make the Tourance original tire and the EXP tire is more a real 90/10 tire.
I did consider a K76 though as a compromise. But went for Heindeau K60 scouts. too many love them not to give them a try.
Karoo 3's are considered a 70/30 tire. K60 are 50/50...but reportedly survive well on the tarmac. The truth will be self-revealing in time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94