Best folding grills

ethernectar

Adventurer
Looking to replace my little smoky joe grill with something that folds down to a more packable space. Any recommendations?

java

Expedition Leader
I have one of the "notebook" grills. Not too bad, cheap and fold small. The lower grate the briquettes sit on is looking a bit worse for the wear, but the rest is fine. It doubles as my fire pit too.

perkj

Explorer
Assuming your goal is for a grill that is going to cook food very very nicely, I'd suggest the Weber Go Anywhere Grill as it is much more compact and portable than the Smokey Joe and does just as good a job cooking (IMO folding grill aren't up to the task of cooking food like a true BBQ should). It comes in either a charcoal or gas model. I have both and with a few upgrades makes for an extremely nice grill. I've added a lid thermometer to both, along with a stainless steel flavorizer plate on the gas model (replacing the porcelain coated steel factory plate that is prone to rusting out) and cast iron grill grate from Craycort (replacing the plated steel factory grill grate). You can also get a bit more heat output out of the gas model by tightening up a bit the gas pressure screw that is under the blue sticker on the gas valve. Both the gas and charcoal models will for example easily hit 550 degrees and with the cast iron grate put an awesome sear on a steak.

The WGA Gas with thermometer added:
72336445-7F76-419D-BA3D-0D799207CE5B.jpg

...with the Craycort cast iron grates (http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/go-anywhere-grate.html) :
0355A7D0-A92F-48AC-832F-FFBE5BD6B35C.jpg

...with the SS Flavorizer plate (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Anywhere...7?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e85b745e3):
77e95a5a-6989-4b59-8f1d-2bd6f3ab21ee.jpg

and its twin charcoal brother:
74DC626E-CFDD-4E84-80AC-21E5E9295713.jpg

by the way, this grill bag fits either of the Go Anywhere grills perfectly, if you're wanting better protection of the grill while transporting:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57632-O...UTF8&qid=1396469789&sr=8-2&keywords=camco+bag

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I have one of the "notebook" grills. Not too bad, cheap and fold small. The lower grate the briquettes sit on is looking a bit worse for the wear, but the rest is fine. It doubles as my fire pit too.

Same here. Got my stainless version of the FireSense Notebook Grill for $25 on sale, but they're commonly available on Amazon for $35 - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sense-St..._sim_lg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=138J7DTQMJFB3S85Y14D

And there is a 'regular' tin version for less than $20 - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sense-No...TF8&qid=1396484922&sr=1-6&keywords=Fire+Sense

IMAG0282_zps7f1012a7.jpg~original

IMAG0281_zps366a96d2.jpg~original

It's about 18"x18"x1.25" when folded. Keeping my eye out for a used Pelican case big enough inside to keep it in with my recovery/towing gear. I did get a loose drawstring bag to keep it in and hold the charcoal dust/grease.

Only thing I worry about so far is how loose the small bolts/nuts at the hinge point get sometimes. Not sure a lock washer would help. Maybe a loose stainless rivet since a locknut or loc-tite would succumb to the grill's heat.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Picked up one of these little Esbit BBQ's near the end of the summer last year. Packs up in a nice little case. Looking forward to using it this year. esbit-compact-fold-away-stainless-steel-bbq-grill-large-2795-p.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I recently bought one of these so I could also use it as a folding mini-fire-pit since we camp in places that don't allow ground fires, but after seeing Switch's hand-built unit, I wished I'd done that...

java

Expedition Leader
/snip

It's about 18"x18"x1.25" when folded. Keeping my eye out for a used Pelican case big enough inside to keep it in with my recovery/towing gear. I did get a loose drawstring bag to keep it in and hold the charcoal dust/grease.

Only thing I worry about so far is how loose the small bolts/nuts at the hinge point get sometimes. Not sure a lock washer would help. Maybe a loose stainless rivet since a locknut or loc-tite would succumb to the grill's heat.

Yes I did loose a hinge bolt! It rattles loose in my truck. Haven't replaced it yet, and the grill still works fine. The grate holds the top in place. It will be getting a loose rivet.

Yes I did loose a hinge bolt! It rattles loose in my truck. Haven't replaced it yet, and the grill still works fine. The grate holds the top in place. It will be getting a loose rivet.

Could always just jam a couple of nuts together to make a jam nut.

A body of mine has an old Craftsman metal tool box that he put some mesh grating in for a grill. Simple, holds the charcoal good and you just close the lid up and it's got a handle

Not sure what kind you're looking for but Campfire Grills are very well made. I've had one for about 5 years and used it a lot. It's not a traditional BBQ, just a grill, but it's very simple and flat to pack. Good quality stainless. The "pioneer" 18" grill is a perfect size for 4 steaks and 4 baked potatoes. Campfiregrill.com
These grills and a fold flat charcoal lighter are a perfect combination.
Pioneer-500x500.jpg

Ramjet

Explorer
I have the Snow Peak fireplace, that can be made into a grill as well. Folds completely flat and everything fits in the storage bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles