Repainting bumpers?

Gravity

Observer
I have a set of Reunel bumpers on the Sportsmobile and after 6 yrs they're starting to show a bit of rust coming through the powdercoat. Especially the front which is subjected to road debris etc...

I'd like to give them a new coating of something black for spring. What is the general consensus of paint options or even Line-Xing it?

I've heard because they were powdercoated it's tough to do much to them.

Any tips or suggestions? Also both the front and rear have the polished diamond plate inserts, can I paint them too? Would like to have a nice stealth look to it.

Thanks guys

-d

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
To fight the rust worm and do a proper job, you'd have to strip it down. You could probably have a auto shop shoot with PPG paint for not much money.

Last edited:

madizell

Explorer
Any shop that can do powdercoat will also be able to abrasively clean the parts prior to coating. I would look for a custom powdercoat shop in your area and have the bumper redone. In the alternative, have it abrasively cleaned to bare metal, then use paint, which is easier to repair. Most industrial powdercoat operations (bumper factories) don't properly prepare the metal prior to coating, which is generally why the coating starts to pop loose, assuming that you have tried to touch up any gouges that went all the way to bare metal. Touch up can be done with paint.

Gravity

Observer
any ideas for stripping the old powdercoat? Do I go at w/ a pretty abrasive grit sandpaper, a chemical stripper or can most paint shops sandblast it?

It's a behemoth of a bumper, sounds like it's in the 250-300lb range, would rather not have to remove it.

Thanks

-d

Carlyle

Explorer
I've had items powder coated before and the shop always wants to bead/sand blast prior to the application of the powder and subsequent baking. The only way to so it properly is to pull the bumper. After it is redone you might consider a second clear powder coat over top or using one of the clear films like clear bra, I think it's called.

madizell

Explorer
I have had no luck using chemicals to strip powder coat. It can be sanded. As mentioned, the only way to have it recoated with powder is to pull the bumper and let the jobber do the coat stripping and prep work. If you must leave it in place, power sand, degrease, and paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94