My "new" Discovery 2

Thomas_ZA

May I introduce my 1999 LR Discovery 2. It is a TD5, with manual gearbox. The vehicle was converted to fall into a weird local tax law. At this stage it is a two seater, and will stay that way, else it will cost a shedload more in road tax.

First trip will be from mid May this year, travelling through Andorra, down the Pyrenees down to Collioure in France, and then down to Barcelona. From Andorra to Barcelona will be about 1000km, of which more than half will be trails, unpaved roads and tracks.

More pics to follow, as well as lots and lots of questions.

Mods/changes planned are:

• cleaning up the car,
  • replacing the front bumper and winch mount with a dedicated "winch bumper",
  • replacing the steel rope on the winch with synthetic rope,
  • the lights on the roof rack will be replaced with LEDs
  • locate and find a ladder for the rear door
  • building a simple storage solution

This will be my daily driver, and will also be used to tow our caravan from time to time.

Thomas

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
Good Looking Disco and pretty well set up by the look of things.

That front Winch mount does look a bit goofy and it can be hard to judge how far you are from things but it surprisingly doesnt hinder you as much on the track as you might expect.

Also your trip sounds like a bit of fun!

Safe Journey...

Thomas_ZA

Hello Thomas,
air suspension I will remain?
...expect more photos of the process of the construction. :coffee:

A coil spring conversion has already been done by the previous owner. The space previously occupied by the compressor is now taken up by an Optima Red top which assists the winch.

I have removed (and sold) the rack, OEM front bumper and winch mount. I don't need the rack, as the Disco only has two seats which leaves a lot of room for 'stuff' and I'm not planning major expeditions. The rack would also have required significant modification to mount a RTT. A friend also gave me an OEM Land Rover rack which is easier to store, and if I need a rack, that's what I'll use.

Also sourced a set of OEM LR 16" alloys with winter tyres, must just go pick them up.

The bumper was replaced with a winch bumper and I also fitted a Steering guard.

Next steps will be a simple (read budget) storage solution of about 8 inches high, an extra 12V point or two in the load compartment, as well as 2 or 3 in front and replacing the wire rope with a synthetic one.

Pics to follow when I'm back home.

Last edited:

Thomas_ZA

Nice looking rig. What is used for the blackout windows?

Due to our weird vehicle tax laws, the rear seats are removed, and the rear partly blacked out. I have seen sources of the blackout panels which are glued into place where the original rear and moon windows were fitted (you're not allowed to have windows in a load area). When I'm back home I'll post more pics and details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz