Sierra Nevada Challenge 2013

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
This is my first time posting in this section of the forum, I read the Rookies on the Rubicon story and thought i'd share mine. We were out there around the same time and in modified stock vehicles as well. We had both the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim all to ourselves which was nice, the weather was perfect and the few people we did meat were very nice or very interesting characters. Our truck was a last minute build that we put together in 6 weeks on something like a $1500 dollar budget, we finished the truck a couple days before the trip. The only thing we didn't get to was transfer case regearing which we payed the price for on Thompson hill (Dusy Ershim).

Myself and two of my friends pooled together to make the trip possible because a 2 week adventure is a hard thing to just go and do if you normally keep your bank account around the $10 mark. I sold my wife's 1994 Mitsubishi Montero SR to my friend who had spent a year building a different truck for this trip. It was basically stock on 35" A/T tires and a rock bumper but it was in better condition mechanically and had a bigger motor than his original truck so we decided with six weeks to go to build the '94 to take on the Sierra Challenge. Let me tell you that for guys with almost no money we definitely got the job done, between selling things to fund other things, recycling parts and making use of "scraps" laying around we did what needed to be done.
Here's the story on the build, the test run and late night recovery that followed. (starts on page 24 The Long Hard Road)

Gearbox Magazine "The Magic"

After that shakedown we packed our gear and set out for the Sierras, one of the best adventures i'v been a part of. I wrote about that here

Sierra Nevada Challenge 2013

Hope you guys enjoy this, keep in mind i'm pretty new at writing these things.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
It was awesome and thanks for reading, this trip was my first "real" trip report that i took all the photos and wrote the story about. I think i'll get better at the photography and writing part as i go. I realized the importance of a copilot for documenting a trip, I was the copilot for this trip (i did get to wheel as well) but it got me thinking about all the past trips i've been on and how when i go to post up the pictures i took i'm never in any of them. I can go back and reread my old trip reports and they have a little text and it's like i wasn't even on the trail at all. I did this story for myself as much as for others to read about and thanks to Brian at Gearbox magazine I'll always have it in a nice format to go with the rest of my pictures from the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier