What are you all using for luggage?

Winky

Adventurer
I am looking for a duffel type bag with plenty of useable space and above all durable construction. I am thinking canvas. Anyone have any suggestions? Please post up what you use and if it works for expedition type travel. I don't mind spending money on a quality product... I rather spend the money once on a great product that will last me a long time.

Cheers,
Josh

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
If we're living out of the truck my wife and I each use 70L Seal Line Boundary Packs. They stay in the bed of the truck most of the time unless we're out hiking or something. They're used by a lot of Canoers and Rafters because you can actually dunk them under water and they'll keep your contents dry. For under $100 bones they are tough to beat.
boundary_pack_large.jpg

Last edited:

RobinP

Observer
My wife and I each have a rubbermaid - really, $5 each. We like them because they pack in the truck well, they are stackable, the lids come of so you have easy access to all the contents. For the nights we aren't in the truck, they are easy to take into a home or hotel.

For larger trips where all the contents don't fit in one bin, we have a reserve of clothing that gets rotated in and out. So when we're in a hot desert climate it's shorts and t-shirts, and then when we hit cold high mountains the shorts are replaced with fleece and sweaters...you get the idea.

crazyjane

Observer
I was also looking for a duffel bag and found this site. A bunch of Ex-Military Riggers make these. They're made in America for those looking for a homegrown bag.

www.redoxx.com

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
really depends on where ....recently we been using a pack system bag from wally world
with a large cordura outer and 4 inner pack modules.

a bit like this one but 4 inner packs and the outer does not close...for $ 30

http://www.rei.com/product/752682

With the clothes divided into day-night-bad weather..

I do love those north face duffles ...basicly indistructable...
but for car travel the pack modules save the rumage factor.

Robert Bills

Explorer
As someone who has tried various packing systems for motorcycle touring, jeeping, truck and car camping, expedition trailers, RVs, backpacking, Boy Scout camp, etc., etc., here are my observations:

1. Your packing system will evolve. What might be perfect today won't be in the future as your needs change and you encounter "better ideas."

2. Since your packing system will evolve and change, there is some wisdom in not buying top of the line stuff for your first purchase. But you don't want to buy junk either. Try out a system, see what works and doesn't for your particular application, and be willing to experiment.

3. Duffle bags don't have to be expensive. I currently use them for personal gear in both my jeep and for my jeep trailer. The advantage is that they can be stuffed into irregularly shaped spots. I have a set of medium and smaller bags for my jeep, each with an assigned spot in the jeep, and assign one for each passenger. They can bring whatever they like as long as it fits in the bag. I have one additional bag to hold jackets, gloves, etc. for everyone in the jeep which go in and out as the weather changes during the day. I also have a tent duffle, small tool bags, etc. Moderately priced stuff can be found in most of the chain sporting goods stores, Target, etc.

4. Cordura or a similar material is a good choice. Some of the lighter weight nylon bags won't stand up to hard use. Unless you are backpacking, saving every once of weight is not your first priority.

5. I don't like canvas - it stains and mildews, and isn't waterproof. Synthetics are better.

6. Wheeled duffles are popular with some, but I don't like them. Not only are they ususally a larger size, which makes them more difficult to pack into small spaces (particularly with the frame and wheels), the larger size encourages people to bring too much stuff.

7. I also use Rubbermaid "Action Packers." They come in various sizes, are relatively inexpensive, and quite durable for the price. Each Action Packer box is dedicated to a particular type of gear, with one for dry goods and food that doesn't require refrigeration. I currently use a Cordura "camp kitchen" when jeeping without my trailer (equipped with permanently mounted chuck box), which is a commercially made soft-sided box about 24" x 16" x 16" with hard plastic bottom, grab handles, and compartments for stove, cookwear, utensils, etc. Too bad it isn't made any more.

Willman

Winky said:
I am looking for a duffel type bag with plenty of useable space and above all durable construction. I am thinking canvas. Anyone have any suggestions? Please post up what you use and if it works for expedition type travel. I don't mind spending money on a quality product... I rather spend the money once on a great product that will last me a long time.

Cheers,
Josh

Filson makes the best bag on the market hands down!

http://www.filson.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2065001&cp=2069836&clickid=leftnav_Luggage_txt

I own 4 bags....all different sizes.......The cost is a lot but you will own it for life! And they have a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell!

pFILSON1-2231557dt.jpg

Sierra Expeditions is working on becoming a dealer to save ya some $$$$$.....updates to come.

:victory:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Some year ago I was sent from the Left Coast to pick up a Lola Sports 2000 at Carl Haas Racing north of Chicago. I had nothing to pack clothes in. My boss grabbed one of the gear bags hot off the sewing machine and gave it to me. That was 1989. I've long since departed working for Stewart Racing Products, but the gear bag (really a top zippered duffel with zippered end pockets) is still with me & sees regular service. Not long ago had to have the zipper replaced. I think that was my fault.
I can get up to a week's worth of clothing it in, yet it's not so large that it is a booger to fit in odd spaces. Even qualifies as carry-on with most airlines.

North Face waterproof duffle bags, and then I use mesh bags to sort out the clothes/gear and stack them inside. Or you can use cube style organizers inside.

A drawer system in the vehicle also is a great way to store clothes, etc.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
desertgirl66 said:
North Face waterproof duffle bags, and then I use mesh bags to sort out the clothes/gear and stack them inside. Or you can use cube style organizers inside.

A drawer system in the vehicle also is a great way to store clothes, etc.

:iagree: I bought a North Face duffel about ten years ago and despite regular abuse by me and airlines it hasn't shown any sign of wear. The big D-shaped opening definitely makes it easier to find stuff inside.

In my humble opinion soft luggage is better for clothes and other personal gear because it packs better in the irregular spaces in the vehicle, fits better against the wall of a tent and shrinks when stuff is removed. (We use a separate bag for laundry on longer trips.)

Cheers,
Graham

TACODOC said:
I am a big fan of the Cabela's Boundary Waters II waterproof bags. For the price, I think they are the best deal going for good waterproof luggage.

I have one of the Magnum size ones that I use to store all of our bedding and assorted clothing on the rack. Dry, dust proof and very heavy duty.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031809516859a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=waterproof+bag&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=waterproof+bag&noImage=0

Cool, I am glad you like it. I am currently looking for a waterproof duffel bag for us and I keep coming back to that one since it is inexpensive compared to others out there.

haven

Expedition Leader
airline rule changes

Domestic airlines are tightening the screws on passenger luggage. Now most allow only 50 lbs per bag (used to be 70 lbs). A traditional bag with frame, handle and wheels can easily weigh 15 lbs. empty! So it's back to nylon duffles for checked baggage for me.

In a camping vehicle, I agree with many that the large stackable translucent plastic bins with locking lids are the way to go. K-Mart and Wal-Mart are sources with good prices.

Chip Haven

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I use the North Face Base Camp Duffle also. Great bag. I especially love the backpack traps for when I have to haul the bag; like when at the airport. And since my bag is red, I can also spot it so easily on the luggage luggage carousel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles