The Rubicon Trail, Sept 2013

85badger

Mike
Awesome trip and great video!! This is on my trail bucket list! Someday!
Also love that you did it in IFS Tacoma's and one with a camper! Sweet! Just proves you can do these harder trails with ease.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
a good driver can definitely tackle the harder trails with a less built rig, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to rock crawling. The camper is cool. It's a flip pac. It's only about 300 lbs, and it's pretty low profile when it's all folded up.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
No, I was the only truck on 35's (the white truck with the snorkel). The other two were on 33's, but they're very experienced drivers. The trail is much easier in a single-cab with the shorter wheelbase. In fact, here's a video from the year before when we did it in a single cab.

Last edited:

Jimmy Jack Claypool

Lurking in the shadows
Great video! Nicely done. Its amazing here how many people we sell parts to and do work on that swear that 37 and up is the way to go! (I work at West Coast Differentials)

We ran the trail last year from the Loon side and never even hit the lockers except for one spot on Cadillac Hill. 2013 JKU on 37's. If anything 37's do a lot to take the "challenge" out of the trip.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
agreed. However, there are still plenty of drivers out there who would find the trail challenging even with 37s. I think a sami on 31's with a great drive would do just fine on that trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94