What tripod do you travel/hike with?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Im looking for a small and light tripod to camp/hike with. I have a big Manfrotto model that is really nice, but weighs a TON, and just isn't realistic for long hikes. Its fine for car based trips, but for packing light, hiking and traveling, its a real pain. Im curious what you guys use that seems relatively stable, for a decent price. Im not looking to spend hundreds on a carbon fiber setup, I know they're sweet but I just don't have the coin right now. I want to do be able to get some long exposure landscapes and some star trails at night when camping. Also, I shoot a D7000 and usually wide angle or mid range zoom on, so its not a real heavy setup, but has some weight to it. Just seeing whats out there, so lets hear what you use...

WininUtah

Adventurer
I have an older Gitzo Carbon Fiber one, three section with a Markins head. Pretty light and it easily attaches to my Osprey pack. Not inexpensive, though.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I use a Feisol CT-3441T Rapid Tripod and Markins Q-Ball Q3 Traveler ball head and Markins L bracket. It's the first real tripod I've ever had so I'm not sure how it compares, but I'm really happy with it.

photo_i

Explorer
Oh, another thing I like about my old Slik are clips on leg extentions vs. rotating sections. Makes set up much quicker, IMO.

(I do have big Manfrotto as well, but like OP, only use it for motorised travels when I don't have to carry it too far :) )

BretEdge

Adventurer
I use an Induro CT113 w/ Acratech Ultimate ballhead. Whole thing weighs about 3.7 pounds but is rock solid, even with my 5D Mark III w/ battery grip and pro lenses.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I'm carrying a Mefoto Backpacker tripod. Pretty lightweight and stable

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Ive seen those Mefoto models, and they look pretty small and light. How sturdy are they with a full size camera and lens on it? They seem decently priced too, are they capable of holding a D7000 and lens setup? Thanks

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Ive seen those Mefoto models, and they look pretty small and light. How sturdy are they with a full size camera and lens on it? They seem decently priced too, are they capable of holding a D7000 and lens setup? Thanks

They seem pretty sturdy... I run mine with a D7000, Nikkor 18-200mm, and battery grip on a regular basis and it's not shaky at all. Works very well

Randall Dee

Huge Member
I've put a lot of effort into getting my pack weight down, so my priorities may be different than yours. I use one of the heavy Gorilla tripods for backpacking. It holds my D90 just fine and weighs in at 7.5 oz. Light and simple.

ywen

Explorer
I use a Feisol CT-3441T Rapid Tripod and Markins Q-Ball Q3 Traveler ball head and Markins L bracket. It's the first real tripod I've ever had so I'm not sure how it compares, but I'm really happy with it.

I have the same Feisol tripod.. Great stuff! lightweight. I have a Manfrotto 486 compact ballhead. Very small, but lacks the pan feature. Hindsight, I would get a ballhead with pan feature at the cost of $ and weight. http://plazacameras.com.au/images/manfrotto_486.jpg

OP: If you don't have extreme requirements and just need the camera stationary for a few long exposures, just get a beanbag and set the camera on it.. You can place it in several ways to get different angles of view. Instead of a bean bag, you can simply use whatever like a wallet to prop up the lens. On many trips I don't even bother bringing the tripod and have captured plenty of long exposures successfully

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback guys! Ive definitely done my share of propping up the camera with rocks, wallet, bottle caps, etc. Even to go as far as using rocks to prop it up inches above a flowing river (not smart, but effective). I don't necessarily need a full size tripod, but something that can give me a solid platform. I would like it to have the capability of holding my camera and lens straight up to get some star trails at night. I have even considered some of those small folding tripods like a Pedco Ultrapod, but I'm afraid it won't be solid enough. I may take a closer look at the MeFoto backpacker and some of the smaller Slik models. Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Trek Tech

I used this before my camera gear got stolen:

http://www.urban75.org/photos/trek-tech-trekpod-walk-tripod.html

Worked hiking domestic and abroad, was extremely light and comfortable to use, and had nothing to really break or worry about. I found it very stable for my Canon S3IS and very rugged. Magnet could have grabbed onto a passing car I swear!

Once I get some new gear I will be reusing it. Thankfully that was not something that was stolen!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help everyone. After looking around, it sounds like a small reversible folding tripod will fit the bill for me. I like the MeFoto models, and Adorama has a nice carbon fiber model. I just got my Costco coupons in the mail and saw this little guy, so I think ill give it a try. The price is right, and if it doesnt work out I can always return it to my local Costco. Ill post back with my thoughts once I have a chance to play around with it.

http://www.costco.com/Dolica-Revers...h-Integratable-Monopod.product.100073661.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles