Rtt wind deflector

Benc

Explorer
Decided to build a wind deflector for my tent. Not the best looking mod I've done but hopefully I will get some mpg back. Also got some containers and a cabelas table mounted to the rack. Getting ready to go to the Oregon coast with the wife,3 kids and a dog. This should help fit everything.
usubenap.jpg
je7erupe.jpg
8ate2a3y.jpg
yvupe6ar.jpg
u7aja5yn.jpg
hepuve7a.jpg
ypa5emeh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benc

Explorer
Went and got some turnbuckles and cable to lock down the containers. Drove down the freeway and the wind deflector definitely helps with drag and noise. Only time will tell if I get any better mpg.

v_man

Explorer
Have you been using that tie down system with the turnbuckles/cables over the containers for long ? It seems like you'd really have to crank down on the cables to keep the bins from shifting. How's that working with the plastic attachment points on the bins?

Benc

Explorer
Have you been using that tie down system with the turnbuckles/cables over the containers for long ? It seems like you'd really have to crank down on the cables to keep the bins from shifting. How's that working with the plastic attachment points on the bins?

Just mounted them today, I don't have to crank down hard at all. I think having them at the angle helps. They can't really go anywhere with the cable wrapping around the side. As for the plastic attachment points we'll see how they hold up. I started to look at the pelican cases then I saw the price, $500 each. These were $30 each and they do have the o ring on the lid so I thought I would give them a try.

zscott

Adventurer
Looks good. I love how you have tied everything in from the rack to the armor and bumper. It all looks really good. Interested to see how the deflector affects your MPGS.

Benc

Explorer
Looks good. I love how you have tied everything in from the rack to the armor and bumper. It all looks really good. Interested to see how the deflector affects your MPGS.

Thanks, yeah me to. I'm going to Oregon next week so I'll se if it makes a difference.

grotto

Observer
Have enjoyed watching your truck come together and am happy to see I am not the only one looking at a wind deflector. Looks well organized. I'd be curious to know how much weight you are carrying all loaded down, passengers included, and how the set-up works out for you on the trip. Have a great time!!

Ranchero

Wanderer
Great idea Benc! I've been thinking of something similar for my 80. I'm wondering if more of a concave shape would direct the flow closer to the top of the stuff on the roof?

Also, I've been digging around to find some durable stretchy fabric to make a cover to stretch from the back of the deflector, over all the gear and over the back edge of the roof rack. Sort of like a shower cap (but more about smoothing airflow - less concern for staying dry). Have you considered anything like that? Anyone have any ideas for fabric?

Benc

Explorer
Great idea Benc! I've been thinking of something similar for my 80. I'm wondering if more of a concave shape would direct the flow closer to the top of the stuff on the roof?

Also, I've been digging around to find some durable stretchy fabric to make a cover to stretch from the back of the deflector, over all the gear and over the back edge of the roof rack. Sort of like a shower cap (but more about smoothing airflow - less concern for staying dry). Have you considered anything like that? Anyone have any ideas for fabric?

Thanks, I would have liked to do a flat deflector with more angle but just didn't have the room. Yeah the fabric sound like a good idea, I suppose you could use it as the wind deflector also. You would just need a frame in the front. I would think some kind of sunbrella or marine grade fabric would work well. Keep us posted if you come up with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pyrate

Rollin' along
Just mounted them today, I don't have to crank down hard at all. I think having them at the angle helps. They can't really go anywhere with the cable wrapping around the side. As for the plastic attachment points we'll see how they hold up. I started to look at the pelican cases then I saw the price, $500 each. These were $30 each and they do have the o ring on the lid so I thought I would give them a try.

I had something similar with cables and they sawed thru the plastic. Recommend keeping an eye on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles