Rtt wind deflector

Benc

Explorer
I had something similar with cables and they sawed thru the plastic. Recommend keeping an eye on them.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it. I used vinyl coated 1/4 in cable so I don't think It could saw through plus they will only be up there a few times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benc

Explorer
Picked up a metal ice chest for the rear rack today, fits is the basket perfectly.
a8a7e3u5.jpg
gutu2unu.jpg
e6atusup.jpg

Benc

Explorer
All loaded up and ready to head to Oregon, got everything to fit plus 3 kids, wife and dog. Drove around town a little to see how it drives with all the extra weight up top and was pleasantly surprised. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. This set up will get me by for a while but there is definitely a expo trailer build in my near future.
ybapetum.jpg
7y6a2eme.jpg

sytfu510

Urban UAV
Looks good, looking forward to see what your findings are with the deflector. I did a make shift version myself just to test it out. Haven't noticed any significant change in mpgs, but definitely feel less of that drag feeling on the free way.

Benc

Explorer
Thanks guys, yeah I'm hoping it will make difference. Last trip I went on I only got about 12.5 - 13 mpg with the same set up without the deflector and stock gears. This trip I have the deflector and 4.88 so I'm hoping for at least 15-16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benc

Explorer
I got home from Oregon yesterday, everything worked great. The only prob I had was the bushings in my dakars are shot. There is prob only 6000 miles on them. Bobby at cvt was great! He met us at his shop on Saturday, let us use his shop and tools to mount our tents and awnings and had a waiting room with toys for the kids and wife. My brother in law and I both bought a few more things and bobby gave us the 30% off even though the group buy was over. While we were there my wife saw there ground tent that mounts to the awning and wanted one so I asked if he had any un accounted for and he didn't. At the same time we were there a guy had brought one in that had broke so bobby gave him a new one and fixed the broken one and gave it to me for $100 bucks. I would highly recommend them! From there we headed over to the coast and camped at a lake about 1/2 way. The next morning we drove to the Oregon dunes near Florence. The dunes were cool but we couldn't find anywhere worth camping so we headed down 101 and found a pretty nice spot right on the beach. I think we did about 1400 hundred miles round trip. My mpg were definitely better. At worst I got 14.5 at best I got 16.2. The wind deflector did help plus it kept all the bugs off my gear. The truck did ok with all the weight up top but I'm definitely going to build a trailer ASAP.

gunnermoose

Adventurer
I was looking at the CVT ground tent and awning combo. What are your thoughts? I want to stay away from a RTT and like the idea of the ground tent, awning and then adding the awning walls. You seem to be the only one that has one that can answer the versatility of it.

Nice photographs, I miss that area. I grew up in Oregon and spent as much time at the beach as possible.

Benc

Explorer
I was looking at the CVT ground tent and awning combo. What are your thoughts? I want to stay away from a RTT and like the idea of the ground tent, awning and then adding the awning walls. You seem to be the only one that has one that can answer the versatility of it.

Nice photographs, I miss that area. I grew up in Oregon and spent as much time at the beach as possible.

The ground tent is nice. Setup is very quick and so is take down. Once set up there is more than enough room for 3-4 people. It is a lot more bulky than a standard tent so you would need to take that into consideration. It wouldn't be a bad set up as long as you have the room for it. I believe it is about 6 plus feet when it's packed

Great idea with the wind deflector.
By far the nicest and coolest looking 1st ten tacoma i have ever seen, love how it all ties together with the rack.

Would be awesome to see a build thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior